Still debating..Viola or Scarlett? Vote! MN for Scarlett?

Have you seen the movie “She’s the [name]Man[/name]” with [name]Amanda[/name] Bynes? There’s a lot of fun names in the movie. Including your wonderful [name]Viola[/name], there’s [name]Duke[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Monique[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Kia[/name], [name]Yvonne[/name], and [name]Eunice[/name]. I absolutley love the movie, and [name]Viola[/name]'s character. She’s a tomboy first and foremost, but can drop it all to be absolutley stunning and it doesn’t feel wierd. So its a nice look at [name]Viola[/name] :slight_smile: But, above all, go with your gut. When you meet your little girl, you’ll know you chose the most amazing name for her (whether you go with [name]Scarlett[/name] or [name]Viola[/name]). Good luck, and trust your instincts! :slight_smile:

This is a funny one for me, because my last name is [name]Scarlett[/name]-[name]Smith[/name] and I’ve always loved how feminine and exotic “[name]Scarlett[/name]” sounds (my brothers less so!). [name]Scarlett[/name] is an ancient [name]Norman[/name] last name, given to someone who sold brightly coloured cloth (see Surname Database: Index of Surnames).

But I think [name]Viola[/name] is such a beautiful, delicate name which is truly “classic”. For me, unsurprisingly I suppose, [name]Scarlett[/name] remains a last name made into a first name - like [name]Taylor[/name], [name]Beverly[/name] or [name]Hilary[/name]. It is definitely more modern. I doubt there were actually many first-named Scarletts running about in the 1860s. I’m sure [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Mitchell[/name] picked it for her character not because it was historically accurate but because it’s a lovely-sounding word, which invokes passion and fire. But [name]Viola[/name] is ancient and Shakespearean and I absolutely love it. I am a sucker for tradition, though. I know not everyone feels the need to stick to historical names. Whatever happens, your daughter will have a gorgeous name!

I love [name]Viola[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]. For some reason I just don’t like [name]Scarlett[/name] as a first name (maybe because I love [name]Charlotte[/name] so much?).

I love the name [name]Scarlett[/name] but I hate the nn Scar. [name]Viola[/name] is also very pretty but I actually prefer [name]Violet[/name]. Good luck!

There were a few male [name]Scarlet[/name] first names around the 1820’s in [name]England[/name] at least. [name]Both[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Scarlet[/name] were found on men and women well before Gone with the Wind was written. Infrequently but they were there. [name]Scarlett[/name] does feel more like the last name although [name]Scarlet[/name] is found as one too although it is less frequent. Unlike [name]Scarlett[/name], scarlet is a both a noun and an adjective. The medieval woollen material was called scarlet and the scarlets were dyed in different colors funnily enough. Later scarlet become connected chiefly with the deep red color. So, there’s a bit more too it. Now the [name]Scarlett[/name] surname relating to a merchant/seller of the scarlets makes more sense although the cloth wasn’t just “brightly coloured” as I said earlier, it could be brown or dull green.

I love [name]Viola[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name]. I like the sound of both together either way around if that’s an option.

I haven’t seen this before. I will have to check it out. I caught 20 min of Grease 2 on the other night and [name]Viola[/name] was a waitress. That name was also used in Madmen for the name of one of the main character’s father’s maid. Good to hear there might be a modern, good reference.

[name]Do[/name] you really think someone would use the nn “Scar”. I am typically a person that will not use a name if I don’t like the nn. I couldn’t imagine that anyone would actually shorten this [name]Scarlett[/name] to “scar”.

[name]Viola[/name] gets my vote by a mile! Not only becuase she’s my number 1 name atm, but because I also think she fits [name]Julian[/name] better.

[name]Viola[/name] to me has a great deal of depth and a slightly romantic air to her, and I feel [name]Julian[/name] shares this romantic feel, giving them a lovely link.

You can’t go wrong with [name]Viola[/name] or [name]Scarlett[/name] though, [name]IMO[/name]!

My vote is [name]Scarlett[/name] not over used, simple & classic I love it! [name]Viola[/name] seems like it will become a trendy name and go out of style fast. Plus there are different ways of saying it kindof confusing one for a name…good luck

[name]Do[/name] you really think someone would use the nn “Scar”. I am typically a person that will not use a name if I don’t like the nn. I couldn’t imagine that anyone would actually shorten this [name]Scarlett[/name] to “scar”.[/quote]

I dont think people will walk around saying - have you seen Scar today? But, I am constantly shortening peoples names… i.e. My brother, [name]Jake[/name] - When I talk to him I say J. My husband [name]Robert[/name] - When talking to him I often call him [name]Rob[/name] or Robs. If it doesnt bother you, then dont worry about it. I just think [name]Scarlett[/name] is such a pretty name, I would cringe to hear it butchered. Perhaps go with a few of the suggestions of [name]Viola[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]. Good luck!!

I would never, ever shorten it to Scar…I’d use [name]Lettie[/name] :slight_smile:

Yes. I hear the “she will be nicknamed Scar” thing all the time yet I’ve never known a [name]Scarlett[/name] to go by Scar and it’s not like I haven’t come across a few. Most haven’t been nicknamed. I doubt Oscars get Scar either. I’m sure there might a be a few Scarletts that are affectionately dubbed Scar, Scarly or Scary but I don’t think people default to it.

[name]Lettie[/name] is very intuitive, good idea, as are [name]Ettie[/name], [name]Etta[/name] and [name]Carly[/name]. I’d use [name]Etta[/name], [name]Ettie[/name] and [name]Lettie[/name] for [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Violet[/name] also. Not that different I don’t think.

I think it is 6 [name]Scarlett[/name] and 10 [name]Viola[/name]. Thanks for the votes.

BTW…if I went with [name]Scarlett[/name]… I don’t think I would let people shorten it. I know you can’t control what happens when they get older but for now no shortening. [name]Scarlett[/name] is only two syllables. Most of the nn’s have the same amount.

Also, I have been thinking more about a middle name for [name]Scarlett[/name]. I like [name]Viola[/name] [name]Lee[/name] (maybe b/c of the Blues song [name]Viola[/name] [name]Lee[/name] Blues and the fact that it is a family name). However, I am not as crazy about [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Lee[/name]. I see and hear more of a tongue twister here. I want to honor family. A couple other names I could try to find a different version of would be: [name]Karole[/name] (mom’s name), [name]Elaine[/name] (mom’s mn), [name]Ruth[/name] (name of deceased grandma who was married to [name]Lee[/name] / [name]Leeland[/name]), and [name]Ilene[/name] ([name]Ruth[/name]'s mn). Any thoughts there on modern versions to go with [name]Scarlett[/name]? Keep in mind our last name is hyphenated and long - blankblank-blankblankblank (first name is French / second is [name]German[/name]).

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Elaina[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ruthina[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] (caro [name]LEE[/name] na)
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Kathleen[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Leesl[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Arene[/name]

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Elise[/name] comes to mind for the [name]El[/name] of [name]Elaine[/name], and the I in [name]Ilene[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Madelaine[/name] (contains your mom’s name)
[name]Scarlett[/name] Roselaine (contains [name]Elaine[/name]…it’s a “real” name, but it’s not on Nameberry)
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Karine[/name] (combo of [name]Elaine[/name] and [name]Karole[/name])
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] (I think this is great)

I really like the [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Elaina[/name] suggestion, especially spelled [name]Elena[/name].

Has anyone ever heard it used as [name]Scarletta[/name] Scar-lee-ta nn could be letta

[name]Scarletta[/name] [name]Lee[/name]
[name]Scarletta[/name] [name]Esme[/name] I love

[name]Jill[/name]'s name [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Elaina[/name] does sound very pretty to…more normal…lol…maybe [name]Scarletta[/name] is a no go…ha

[name]Rica[/name] thought of [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Elaina[/name], and I think it’s lovely! :slight_smile:

Thanks! I think I’m getting more comfortable in my nameberry shoes, now :slight_smile:

I liked [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Elaina[/name] the best too! Unfortunately, my husband didn’t like it :frowning:

He is “thinking” about [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]…which I would go for if he likes it. I never imagined using [name]Ruth[/name] as a middle name but it is growing on me. I would have considered [name]Ruthina[/name] as well…but he didn’t like that one either. What about…

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Rosalee[/name]

[name]Jill[/name], I know you mentioned the “red rose” concept with [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and I agree…too dead on and [name]Rose[/name] is overused these days. [name]Do[/name] you think the same thing with [name]Rosalie[/name] / [name]Rosalee[/name]? I mentioned this one to the husband and he didn’t really give an answer either way. I think he tends to like shorter names ([name]Lee[/name], [name]Ruth[/name], etc.) b/c [name]Scarlett[/name] is longer and so is our last name… but I am trying :slight_smile: I figure if we can get the two name options set, maybe we can take the next month to try them out.

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]… Like you said, it’s not as obvious as [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. The flower thing is still there, but I personally think it’s fine. I think [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name] is really, really pretty. You may also want to consider [name]Scarlett[/name] Rosabel.

I really like [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]'s quirkiness. The feminine, exotic [name]Scarlett[/name] with the clunky [name]Ruth[/name] feels charming and unexpected to me, rather like your [name]Viola[/name] [name]Lee[/name].

I can’t wait to see what name your little girl ends up with! :slight_smile: