Still don't have a name!!

I know I’ve asked you ladies about a million times, but as my due date of the 27th nears I just keep getting more and more unsure about names. I used to like all of our top 4 and now, I’m starting to think I don’t like ANY.

Here are the names:
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Annelise[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]

not top 5, but still in the back of my head:
[name]Savannah[/name]
[name]Sienna[/name]
[name]Anabelle[/name]
[name]Norah[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name]

Off the bat, do you like the name?
What type of name would you say it was (trendy, classic, etc…)?
What image does it create in your head?

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m sorry you’re having a hard time! :frowning:

[name]Eva[/name]

A. Yes, I like the name. [name]Love[/name] it, actually!
B. [name]Eve[/name] feels classic to me, and [name]Eva[/name] feels more vintage, because the Evas I know have siblings with vintage names (ie: [name]Tess[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], etc.)
C. The image I associate with [name]Eva[/name] is elegant, sophisticated, beautiful, and smart.

[name]Annelise[/name]

A. Off the bat, I love [name]Annelise[/name]!
B. It feels vintage to me.
C. I think of someone who is both sweet and elegant, not to menthion cheerful.

[name]Isla[/name]

A. Off the bat, I love it!
B. It feels exotic to me, and not really classic, vintage, or trendy.
C. I think of someone who is beautiful, kind, and warm.

[name]Clara[/name]:

A. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Clara[/name]!
B. It feels vintage to me, while [name]Claire[/name] feels classic.
C. I think of someone who is sweet, warm, adorable, and smart.

[name]Savannah[/name]:

A. I like some of you other names more than I do [name]Savannah[/name]
B. I would call it trendy. I can see its appeal, though.
C. I picture someone is very pretty.

[name]Sienna[/name]

A. See [name]Savannah[/name]…
B. See [name]Savannah[/name]
C. I picture a crayon (burnt sienna), but after that, I guess I picture a teenager chomping bubble gum.

[name]Anabelle[/name]

A. [name]Annabelle[/name] is one of my favorite names, but I don’t like the [name]Anabelle[/name] spelling as much, because I pronounce it like “on-a-bell,” which makes me think of someone sitting on a bell.
B. It feels vintage to me.
C. I picture someone who is sweet, elegant, kind, and cheerful.

[name]Norah[/name]:

A. I love [name]Norah[/name]/[name]Nora[/name].
B. It feels classic to me, but more so the [name]Nora[/name] spelling.
C. I picture someone who is kind and warm.

[name]Jocelyn[/name]
A. I like some of the other names more.
B. [name]Jocelyn[/name] feels on the trendy side to me.
C. I picture someone with a peppy personality who loves to smile.

I love so many names on your list!

Good luck!

[name]Eva[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it. It seems very sophisticated and glamorous to me. I also love [name]Ava[/name].
[name]Annelise[/name] - Like a lot. It feels shy and sweet to me. [name]Do[/name] you like Annelina?
[name]Isla[/name] - Really love. I think it’s familiar to most people by now, but still unusual. I picture a very fun, petite girl.
[name]Clara[/name] - I picture a really kind person. I like this name but I like your others more. Definitely vintage.
[name]Savannah[/name] - Trendy, but not as trendy as the [name]Aiden[/name] names. What about [name]Susannah[/name]? That reminds me more of your taste.
[name]Sienna[/name] - I think of [name]Sienna[/name] [name]Miller[/name], plus the burnt sienna crayon… I think if I was little I wouldn’t like the crayon with my name on it to be burnt sienna.
[name]Anabelle[/name] - [name]Love[/name] love love. I also prefer [name]Annabelle[/name], but I would pronounce them the same. Only problem is that it might blend in with all the Isabellas. I consider this one vintage, too, but definitely feels modern now.
[name]Norah[/name] - This might have to be my favorite on your list. [name]Ever[/name] [name]Norah[/name] I’ve known has been beautiful, sweet, popular and smart. [name]Every[/name] single one. And they’ve all had long brown hair. I [name]LOVE[/name] the [name]Norah[/name] spelling, and think it looks incomplete without the h. What about using it as a nickname for [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Eleanora[/name]?
[name]Jocelyn[/name] - This is the only name on your list that I don’t care for at all. Feels too trendy and modern, and it doesn’t fit with your other names. I’d be wary of using a name that doesn’t go with your general taste, as it may be harder to choose a sibling name that works with it down the road.

All in all, you have a really great list! You’re going to choose the perfect name for your daughter!

[name]Hi[/name]!

I’m just going to comment on your top 4, because those are the ones you like best, right? And, nothing from your other list grabs my attention more than these four…

[name]EVA[/name]
A. [name]Do[/name] I like it? It isn’t my personal style, but I do think it is pretty and sophisticated. For me, it doesn’t have the most attractive sound - I’m not a huge fan of V sounds in the middle of names for some reason…
B. Style? I would say that this name is modern with a sense of classic appeal. Definitely not trendy, but not vintage, either.
C. Who does it fit? I see a beautiful, small, yet strong girl with dark hair and dark eyes. She is personable and friendly, yet reserved at the same time. She is thoughtful and stubborn, playful and fun.
D. Alternative? A more classic alternative to [name]Eva[/name] might be [name]Laura[/name], whereas a more modern alternative might be [name]Viola[/name].

[name]ANNELISE[/name]
A. [name]Do[/name] I like it? Well, with this spelling, not particularly. I do like [name]Anneliese[/name], but I don’t pronounce it with the end A sound, personally. The name is spunky yet traditional.
B. Style? Classic, yet foreign. Not trendy or modern.
C. Who does it fit? [name]Anneliese[/name] is a spunky, fun child with honey blond hair and blue eyes. She is playful and curious, intellectual and intelligent, and she takes pleasure in being around others. Independent and shy at times, [name]Anneliese[/name] can also be quite sassy and loves to lead others.
D. Alternative? [name]Ruby[/name] feels much like [name]Anneliese[/name] to me, but a more modern take on the name might be [name]Olivia[/name].

[name]ISLA[/name]
A. [name]Do[/name] I like it? Yes, I do. I think the name is playful and fun while still being elegant and feminine.
B. Style? Modern, but not at all trendy - yet…
C. Who does it fit? I see a small, playful, active little girl with her strawberry-blond (or brown) hair up in a high pony. She is boisterous and stubborn, intelligent and curious. Very social, [name]Isla[/name] is popular among her peers.
D. Alternative? [name]Isla[/name] in a more classic form might be [name]Lydia[/name], and in a similar form - modern but not trendy - she might be [name]Fiona[/name].

[name]CLARA[/name]
A. [name]Do[/name] I like it? Absolutely! I can’t pass up a name that honors my childhood hero, [name]Clara[/name] [name]Barton[/name].
B. Style? Classic, vintage classic. Absolutely.
C. Who does it fit? I see a shy, quiet girl with honey brown hair and blue or hazel eyes. She is curious and bright, friendly and sweet. [name]Clara[/name] isn’t quick to join in the fun, but rather takes pleasure in her own world. That isn’t to say that she is a loner - [name]Clara[/name] has many friends and enjoys her close-knit group.
D. Alternatives? An even more vintage [name]Clara[/name] might be [name]Mabel[/name], but a more modern alternative could be [name]Leah[/name].

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Susannah[/name] reminds me too much of the song “Oh, [name]Susannah[/name]” and every time I hear it, my head breaks out in song. haha :wink: The only reason “[name]Savannah[/name]” is on my list, is because it’s a childhood favorite that I just can’t seem to part with. It’s one of those names I was always going to name my daughter, yet now it feels so trendy/almost country.

The hubs won’t go for Annelina, because he doesn’t think it’s a real name.

I worry too about the [name]Annabel[/name], getting mixed in with all the [name]Isabelle[/name]/a’s. It’s a shame!!

I also thank you for pointing out, not wanting to be a child and have “burnt sienna” on a crayon. I always knew it was a crayon, but never really thought deeply about the name. Darn Crayola and Toyota for wrecking such a beautiful name!! I refuse to use it now though with the “burnt sienna” reference that she’d have to put up with through childhood.

[name]Lemon[/name]…

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I love your alternatives with the same feel. Especially because [name]Lydia[/name] has ALWAYS been my favorite name. My hubs wouldn’t go for it with our first DD, so we ended up with [name]Lilia[/name]. Now he likes it and it’s much too similar to [name]Lilia[/name] to ever use. [name]Lydia[/name] is still my all time favorite though, which in a way makes me feel a bigger pull towards [name]Isla[/name].

With the whole “v” in the middle of the name deal. I have never been a fan of “V” names at all…whether it be in the middle or beginning. However, our last name ends in “vich” so I think that [name]Eva[/name] goes well.

I’m a huge fan of [name]Olivia[/name], but can’t get past the popularity. In fact, I think that is my problem with so many of my names that I love. The classic names I like that are more modern are all incredibly popular.

I want a classic/modern name that isn’t overly popular. Does such a thing even exist?

[name]Eva[/name]: This definitely feels more modern than classic to me. [name]Ivy[/name] is a similar name, that strikes me as a bit more vintage. But since you’re not necessarily looking for names with a V in them, the whole point might be moot.

[name]Annelise[/name]: This wouldn’t be my choice, but I can definitely see the charm. It does capture that classic/modern combo well, and while the style is gaining in popularity, I don’t see the name itself as becoming a trend.

[name]Isla[/name]: I don’t know that I have an opinion on this one.

[name]Clara[/name]: My favorite from the original four choices. It is becoming a bit popular, but it has the classic status to weather the trend. I imagine a woman who is empathetic and wise. I think it works adorably on a little girl.

[name]Savannah[/name]: This strikes me as a '90s name. [name]Susannah[/name] would be much more authentic.

[name]Sienna[/name]: Ditto on [name]Savannah[/name]. And I prefer [name]Savannah[/name].

[name]Annabel[/name]: Strikes me as a bit yuppie-ish, to be honest. I prefer [name]Annelise[/name] to this.

[name]Norah[/name]: My favorite of all the names. Classic, modern, and only quietly popular (no [name]Olivia[/name] status here). I picture a young woman with real class, taste, and kindness. I slightly prefer the [name]Nora[/name] spelling, but both are terrific.

[name]Jocelyn[/name]: It does have a bouncy, appealing rhythm to it, but you could also get that from [name]Evelyn[/name], which I prefer.

These are the ones I really like:
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Annelise[/name]: except I prefer the sp [name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Savannah[/name]
[name]Sienna[/name]
[name]Anabelle[/name]
[name]Norah[/name]

My absolute favorites are [name]Norah[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Savannah[/name]…in that order…I dont think you can go wrong choosing any of your names though…good luck!

What image does it create in your head?[/quote]

Oh, Shanapops, sorry you’re having doubts!

Here are the names:
[name]Eva[/name] - This is a very pretty name. Sounds sophisticated. [name]Love[/name] nn [name]Eve[/name]. Also love [name]Evelyn[/name] nn [name]Eva[/name] or [name]Eve[/name].
[name]Annelise[/name] - I love this so much spelled [name]Anneliese[/name]. Sounds and looks Scandinavian.
[name]Isla[/name] - I’m getting kind of tired of this name. But lots of people on Nameberry love it, so I’m sure it’s a good name.
[name]Clara[/name] - One of my very favorites. So warm and easy to spell and say.

not top 5, but still in the back of my head:
[name]Savannah[/name] - this sounds trendy.
[name]Sienna[/name] - this sounds trendy.
[name]Anabelle[/name] - love it spelled [name]Annabel[/name]. [name]Annabelle[/name] is very frilly.
[name]Norah[/name] - love it so much, also love [name]Nora[/name].
[name]Jocelyn[/name] - I really love this name, but it is popular where I live - [name]California[/name]. I know a very sophisticated and creative little girl named [name]Jocelyn[/name]. Her mother is a ballet dancer.

What image does it create in your head?[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name], again!

That’s a shame about [name]Lydia[/name] - it is my favorite, too. But, with [name]Lilia[/name], it is far too close, as you said. I honestly think that [name]Isla[/name] might be a bit too close, too - I’d try for a name that doesn’t have the -la ending, if at all possible. [name]Olivia[/name], though popular, is very pretty, but again, [name]Lilia[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name] sound very similar…

You want a classic yet modern name? Well, I think [name]Fiona[/name] fits the bill on that one, but I’m assuming it wasn’t your favorite, right? [name]Fiona[/name] has a different sound than [name]Lilia[/name], and it captures the feminine melody and sassy spunk of your daughter’s name - that’s why I love the two together. But, I won’t leave you hanging - I also love these with [name]Lilia[/name]:

[name]Briony[/name] - Another nature name, [name]Briony[/name] has a completely different sound to [name]Lilia[/name], yet they work together very well. You could also spell it [name]Bryony[/name]…

[name]Catriona[/name] - Pronounced like [name]Katrina[/name], [name]Catriona[/name] is the heroine of a [name]Robert[/name] [name]Louis[/name] [name]Stevenson[/name] novel. The name may have pronunciation issues, but I see that as its only drawback.

[name]Ginevra[/name] - This name is bold and sassy, feminine and elegant. An Italian form of [name]Guinevere[/name], this name means “white.” You can always downplay the elegance by calling her [name]Ginny[/name] or [name]Evie[/name].

I know it is a short list, but I just want to get a feel for your style a bit more. My final suggestions come from the E. M. [name]Forster[/name] novel, “Where Angels Fear to Tread.” I’ve chosen this in particular as a name source as [name]Lilia[/name] (Herriton) is the novel’s protagonist. So, names from this novel that could work for you are:

[name]Caroline[/name] ([name]Abbott[/name]) - I’ve always loved [name]Caroline[/name]. It is youthful, yet sophisticated, feminine yet not too frilly. I think it is the best of both worlds!

[name]Harriet[/name] - A more minor character’s name, [name]Harriet[/name] gives off an entirely different feel to both [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Lilia[/name]. I wouldn’t say it is your best choice…

Good luck!

I think the problem lies in the difference between my style and my husbands. There are so many names you’ve mentioned that I would love to use. My favorites are:

[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Briony[/name]
[name]Guinevere[/name]

I’m not a fan of [name]Fiona[/name], because of the whole Shrek association. I know they are releasing another one shortly here, and don’t want her name to be too fresh with the movie release.

My husband on the otherhand doesn’t like any of those names.

He goes more for:

[name]Ava[/name](too popular for my taste)
[name]Lucy[/name]**
[name]Sophia[/name] (too popular)
[name]Kyla[/name] (too trendy)
[name]Layla[/name]**
[name]Sienna[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name]
[name]Savannah[/name]

type of names.

The closeness between [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Lilia[/name] had me questioning it for a long time as well. However, I really love how [name]Isla[/name] represents her being born on an Island. Almost so much that I THINK I could get over them being a bit close.

[name]Hi[/name]!

Okay, I see your problem. However, some of the names on your husband’s list - especially [name]Layla[/name] - are too close to [name]Lilia[/name] in my opinion. As I read his list, I was wondering if you all might like [name]Kaia[/name] as an alternative to [name]Kyla[/name], or even [name]Keira[/name] or [name]Ciara[/name] (also pronounced like [name]KEER[/name]-ah)…

As far as names representing her being born on an island, [name]Isla[/name] is still just too close, in my opinion. Some other island names:

[name]Ailsa[/name]
[name]Avalon[/name] “[name]Ava[/name]”
[name]Cynara[/name]
[name]Iona[/name]
[name]Kelsea[/name]

Good luck!

[/quote]

Thank you [name]Susan[/name] for you great response!

I guess the reason I lean more towards the [name]Annelise[/name] spelling, is because it looks more like I say it. I’ve never really understood why it was spelled “[name]Anneliese[/name]” although I know this is the proper spelling. I’m sure it has to do with the country of origin.

The reason I am so drawn to [name]Isla[/name] is because she will be born on an Island. I think it’s special and a way to honor that. I don’t think otherwise, I would even consider the name. That fact, and also that it may be too close to my other DD’s name “[name]Lilia[/name]” kind of make me question it.

I’m glad to hear 2 people who like the name “[name]Jocelyn[/name]” because it seems like most (including both of our families) don’t. While I feel it has a new name trend to it, something about it still feels vintage a bit.

I put [name]Kelsea[/name] and [name]Avalon[/name] out on the table for my hubby. We’ll see. I don’t think he’ll go with [name]Avalon[/name], because his grandma drove an [name]Avalon[/name]. It’s a bummer, because that’s another name I just [name]LOVE[/name]!

[name]Kelsea[/name] is cute and I like it, but it feels like it’s lacking something. I’m pretty sure I could get used to it though if he ends up liking the name.

What about using [name]Isla[/name] in the mn slot? That way I’m still using it, but won’t be saying it with [name]Lilia[/name] all the time.

[name]Annelise[/name] [name]Isla[/name]?
or
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Isla[/name]-[name]Anne[/name] (is this too long?)

([name]Anne[/name]/a has to be in the name somewhere)

[name]Hi[/name]!

Tell him that he can call [name]Avalon[/name] “[name]Ava[/name]” if he so chooses - will that help?

As for [name]Isla[/name] in the middle, what about [name]Kelsea[/name] [name]Isla[/name]? Or, if you are willing to let go of [name]Isla[/name], since [name]Kelsea[/name] has an island meaning, what about [name]Kelsea[/name] [name]Annabel[/name]?

[name]Hi[/name]! [name]Just[/name] wanted to reach out - - know what you’re going through and praying for you and your husband to discover your little one’s name. It’ll happen! Best of wishes as you approach your due date! [name]Love[/name] the names on your list right now!

Have you thought about giving your baby the name of an island?

I googled and found this link (hope that is okay [name]Pam[/name]). There are lots of lovely choices.

I like [name]Skye[/name].
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Alexis[/name]
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name]