Still in need of help please!

It’s me again, sorry. I’ve been trying NOT to think about names but it hasn’t really worked!
We have a bit of a short list, but I feel there are problems with all these names and DH isn’t keen on many of them either.

[name]One[/name] combo I really quite like is [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Ambrose[/name], but [name]Oliver[/name] is in the Top 3 names where I live but I know a lot of little Olivers and I just can’t bring myself to use it. I do like [name]Ambrose[/name] in the middle spot (I wouldn’t use it as a first name) but our last name starts with G, so we have to be quite careful with the first initial if we have A G to follow :slight_smile: Can anyone think of some alternatives to [name]Oliver[/name] that might work with [name]Ambrose[/name] in the middle?

The other names that we are sort of considering are:
[name]Archer[/name] (I like the nn [name]Archie[/name], but it’s quite popular here and I worry about having a surname name with our already long double surname)
[name]Finlay[/name] (like this, and the nn [name]Finn[/name], but the meaning of fair-headed/white isn’t really going to apply to our baby who is definitely NOT going to be fair-headed himself)
[name]Tobias[/name] (DH would go for this, but something about it doesn’t feel right for me, [name]Tobin[/name] is definitely off the list because of sounding too similar to our daughter [name]Imogen[/name])
[name]Asher[/name] (we considered this with our daughter but I worry that it’s going to go the way of the girls, I’m not keen on the nn [name]Ash[/name] and to my surprise it is also growing in popularity here)
[name]Ezra[/name] (DH doesn’t like it)
[name]Henry[/name] (DH doesn’t like it)
[name]Angus[/name] (is actually quite popular here and it while I like it, it still reminds me of the cow, also I think the gus sound at the end is a bad match to the g sound at the start of our surname)

[name]Ambrose[/name] is not a given in the middle spot, I just like the way it flowed with [name]Oliver[/name] - and maybe it gives you some idea of the type of name I am looking for.

Sorry for the long post. I was so grateful for all the replies to my last post and it did help a lot, I just still haven’t been able to figure out a name that I just love. I’m definitely still open to suggestions of new names, DH isn’t going to go for anything too unusual or quirky and I don’t want common or overused so I guess something in the middle…?

Thanks again!

Oh I love [name]Archie[/name]! You could go with [name]Archibald[/name]. I’d suggest these-
[name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Theo[/name]
[name]Edward[/name] nn [name]Ned[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Grady[/name]
[name]Ezekiel[/name]

[name]Oliver[/name]-
[name]Theodore[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Alan[/name], [name]Salvatore[/name], [name]Evander[/name], [name]Winston[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]-
[name]Arrow[/name], [name]Hunter[/name], [name]Bennett[/name], Marzio, [name]Fletcher[/name], [name]Chester[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name]-
[name]Flynn[/name], [name]Finnegan[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Lee[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]-
[name]Matthias[/name], [name]Thaddeus[/name], [name]Talon[/name], Octavos, [name]Silas[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]-
[name]Schuyler[/name], [name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Nash[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]-
[name]William[/name], [name]Francis[/name], [name]John[/name]
[name]Angus[/name]-
[name]Augustus[/name], Augustan, [name]Angelo[/name]

I like [name]Henry[/name] & [name]Oliver[/name] best.

Thanks both of you. I really, really like [name]Theodore[/name] but DH has said absolutely not, I can’t even convince him to just use [name]Theo[/name]. I think it’s a great name and it seems to be getting a lot of love here on Nameberry :slight_smile:
We already have [name]Edward[/name], [name]Alan[/name] and [name]John[/name] in our immediate family
[name]Isaac[/name] and [name]Levi[/name] are both popular names here, as are [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]William[/name].
I’d prefer at least 2 syllables, as although we don’t abbreviate names ourselves, I like for my children to have the option to do so.
We had considered [name]August[/name] and it’s other alternatives, but DH isn’t keen on a “month” name.
I guess the other thing is that we’d prefer an English name, as we have a bi-cultural surname, so [name]Salvatore[/name] and Marzio are not really our style.

Please keep the opinions and suggestions coming, I need all the help I can get.

[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Adler[/name]
[name]Blake[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Quincy[/name]
[name]Brody[/name]
[name]Connor[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this list helps!

Thanks!
DH is a fan of [name]Blake[/name], but I don’t feel like it works with [name]Imogen[/name]
We have a little [name]Harrison[/name] and [name]Brody[/name] in our circle already - great names though.
[name]Connor[/name] is massively popular in my area, more so than [name]Oliver[/name] I think!

[name]Adler[/name] is interesting thought - I haven’t heard that one before

Sad to say that if your H does not like [name]Ezra[/name] or [name]Henry[/name] I think those should be eliminated.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Angus[/name] and have it on my list for a second son. When you say you have a bi-cultural surname, what do you mean by that? A hypenated name? I do have to say that to me, [name]Angus[/name] is one of those ‘ethnic’ type names that sounds best with a surname of similar origins (or at least not very obviously from a different heritage)- so [name]Angus[/name] LongItalianName or [name]Angus[/name] LongPolishName would sound odd to me. I don’t get that vibe from your other choices.

I really love both [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Asher[/name] as well. I’ve never met/heard of a female [name]Asher[/name] though- it’s a very solid boy name to me. [name]Finlay[/name] is another one that I had on my boy long list.

[name]Archer[/name] and [name]Tobias[/name] are fine but don’t excite me like [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Angus[/name] do. And I don’t know if this matters to you, but I still think of Arrested Development when I hear the name [name]Tobias[/name].

Ideas:
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Martin[/name]
[name]Stuart[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Fabian[/name]
[name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Reuben[/name]
[name]Warren[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]

Thanks strawberrytree.
Our surname is a hyphenated English name and Samoan name - lots of syllables :slight_smile: We use English names in first and middle spots to keep some sort of consistency, plus those are our preferred style of names for the most part. So [name]Angus[/name] would probably work ok style wise, it just doesn’t flow well into the first part of our surname (which happens to be the English part).
I don’t know of the Arrested Development connection myself - although people have mentioned it before in relation to [name]Tobias[/name] so there is obviously a connection there that other people are going to make.
From you list we had considered [name]Silas[/name] and [name]Vincent[/name].
The reason we gave up [name]Tobin[/name] would be the same for names like [name]Reuben[/name], [name]Warren[/name], [name]Martin[/name] - we don’t want the same end sound as [name]Imogen[/name]. I definitely want them to have the same style of name but not the same sounding name. Perhaps that’s been the appeal of [name]Oliver[/name]/[name]Asher[/name] - the er ending makes it distinctly different.
[name]Asher[/name] has some appeal to me still, even though it crept into the Top 100 here in 2012. I just don’t see how we could avoid [name]Ash[/name] as the most likely nn.

Are you located in the US or elsewhere?

No, I’m not in the US. I’m in [name]New[/name] Zealand. Our naming trends here probably lean more towards the UK. The 2012 top 10 names for boys were [name]Jack[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Liam[/name], [name]Mason[/name], [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Ethan[/name], [name]Noah[/name]. But our top 100 includes [name]Archie[/name], [name]Felix[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Angus[/name], [name]Louis[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Hugo[/name] etc. Which are all names that I like.
(apologies if this reply posts twice - I thought I had put it up but couldn’t see it when I checked)

Okay, thanks :slight_smile: have you considered [name]Oscar[/name]? I really like [name]Angus[/name] too…wish it was useable he in the US. What about [name]Phineas[/name], [name]Asa[/name], [name]Thaddeus[/name], [name]Ashton[/name], [name]Hugh[/name]…maybe youd like something from our longer list since we both love [name]August[/name]. Our long list consisted of [name]Everett[/name], [name]Beckett[/name], [name]Mathias[/name], [name]Atticus[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]Leopold[/name], [name]Magnus[/name] ([name]Gus[/name]), [name]Linus[/name], [name]Rexford[/name] and [name]Brigham[/name]. We considered [name]Gaius[/name] also with nickname [name]Gus[/name].

It’s really tricky. I know a few little Ashtons and I can’t really do anything with [name]Gus[/name], my mother’s dog is [name]Fergus[/name] and he gets [name]Gus[/name] all the time, so those are out.
DH has said no to [name]Everett[/name] - that was on my long list too, although I’m keeping it aside as a potential mn
[name]Asa[/name] is an old flame, so can’t really go there and [name]Thaddeus[/name] is the name of a friend’s partner, although it makes a nice alternative to [name]Theodore[/name], but I’m pretty sure DH wouldn’t go for it.
[name]Oscar[/name] might be worth suggesting, I don’t think it’s one I have put out there yet.
[name]Rexford[/name] and [name]Brigham[/name] seem more like surnames and if it wasn’t for our long surname I would be more open to a surname-sounding fn.
[name]Phineas[/name] and [name]Mathias[/name] are definitely worth a second look though.
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I have an [name]Archer[/name], we call him [name]Arch[/name] rather than [name]Archie[/name]. He suits it though : ) Good luck.

Thanks biancah, [name]Arch[/name] is a cute nn :slight_smile:

Ok, hopefully I’m not doubling up on others’ suggestions, but how about:
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Hale[/name]
[name]Merrick[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Davis[/name]
[name]Gage[/name]
[name]Niles[/name]
[name]Marcus[/name]
[name]Emory[/name]
[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]

[name]Just[/name] going to throw some out: (but you likely considered them) :slight_smile:

[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Cyrus[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]
[name]Leander[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]

Thanks for the help. Yes, most of these we have considered, I wonder if I’m really just being too picky. I also wondered if maybe the 3 ultrasounds telling me it is a boy could possibly all be wrong! (Very unlikely I know, but we never managed to come up with a boys name for our daughters and thankfully didn’t have to. Girls names just seem to come to me so easily).
Spunkiedoodle - I like [name]Hale[/name] from your list, I hadn’t seen that one before. I also like [name]Gage[/name] but it just doesn’t work with our surname. I like [name]Otto[/name] but when I suggested it to DH and he said it sounded like a dog name, so I guess that’s a no from him :slight_smile:
avesnames - I really like [name]Leo[/name], but again, it’s a popular name here, so is [name]Xavier[/name] unfortunately
I have been back to the popular names to see if there is anything I like on there - I’m just drawing a total blank. I know we could wait to meet him, but we have always had a name well in advance and I feel kind of guilty that it is taking me so long to find the right name for this baby. Plus, I don’t want to pick something right after giving birth, when we haven’t had the time to properly consider it and then find myself regretting it later.

Frankly, it sounds like you’re a bit burnt out. This happened to me too when I had my son. Boys’ names are just SO hard!! Most of the good ones are already fairly popular, and then there’s the trends that you want to avoid. Ugh. It was so hard and I totally burnt myself out. We ended up deciding on a name and then when we met our son, it was so obviously the wrong name and we ended up choosing one that wasn’t even on our short list. My point is that you obviously have looked in depth into A LOT of names, so it’s not like you won’t be prepared. My advice would be to give it a rest for a while and then either come back to it and see what you think OR wait until he’s born and see what (from your veritable mind name dictionary) strikes you as HIS name. That is my strong strong advice. You don’t want to go crazy over this and be so sick of all these names that none will feel right when he’s born. [name]Just[/name] my opinion – I hope it helps. Good luck!

P.S. I know you said you wouldn’t use it, but I quite like [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]. Or [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]Archer[/name]/[name]Asher[/name], but [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] is my top pick.

Thanks catheyc, I’m pretty sure you are spot on with the burn out! I feel like I have read every list and nothing seems new or fresh, just long lists of names that aren’t right. I think I’ve put a lot of pressure on myself to find the perfect name and it just isn’t happening, and I really don’t want to feel like I have “settled” for a name, so I’m probably looking at them with a really picky mindset. It’s interesting that you mentioned [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]Archer[/name]/[name]Asher[/name], I had been wondering about [name]Asher[/name] [name]Ambrose[/name] or [name]Archer[/name] [name]Ambrose[/name]…I wouldn’t normally pick two names with the same initial but at this point…
But you are right, I should step away from it properly for a while. Maybe the perfect name will come to me when I least expect it :slight_smile: Here’s hoping anyway!