Still looking for opinions.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries! A week ago I came to ask you guys for some help with names. My little sister just joined me here and her name is VERY hard to get right in english (it’s [name_f]Thais[/name_f], pronounced tie-EES) and her school allows her to choose a new one to make it easier for her to navigate school. So before school starts, I came here to ask for you suggestions and I’m here again to ask for further help. This is what we like, what we can’t use and what she doesn’t like at all. We’re open for new suggestions and votes on what you think is best.

We like:
[name_u]Taylor[/name_u] (it’s growing on her but she doesn’t fit [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] AT ALL), [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Taya[/name_f], [name_f]Louise[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f] (but our last name starts with Louder, idk if that would work well, what do you say?), [name_u]Eloise[/name_u] (I like this one more than she does).

She doesn’t like:
[name_u]Reese[/name_u] (in her own words: “I can’t say the first letter”), [name_f]Therese[/name_f] and [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] follow the same path, she has a hard time with R’s in the middle of words because the english sound of R is hard for her and, as we’re looking for something to make her life easier, R’s in the beginning or middle is a no-no.
[name_f]Denise[/name_f] (our mother’s name, she thinks it’s weird)
[name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Tyla[/name_f], [name_f]Tyra[/name_f], [name_u]Tyler[/name_u], [name_u]Tracy[/name_u], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f], and [name_f]Tia[/name_f].
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f], apparently it sounds like forehead in our first language? It doesn’t but I’m not going against her lol
[name_u]Tatum[/name_u], too close to a bug in our first language, I get her.
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] (she does like [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] though, thanks Disney)
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]/[name_f]Talia[/name_f], one of our cousins is [name_f]Talia[/name_f].
[name_u]Isa[/name_u] (though she likes [name_f]Izzie[/name_f])
[name_f]Tess[/name_f].

Since she struggles with English r’s, [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] probably isn’t the best choice.
[name_f]Taya[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f] are all lovely and simple enough, and feel like they carry at least a remnant of her given name.
She could pick any of these and they would work great, I think it depends on what she likes best or feels most comfortable hearing. I would try calling her by one of these names for a day or two to see how she feels.

Would [name_f]Twila[/name_f] be something she would like?
Or [name_f]Talise[/name_f]?

I think [name_f]Thea[/name_f].

I hope the school isn’t asking her to find a nickname so it easier for “other people”. [name_f]Thais[/name_f] is a beautiful and relatively easy name to pronounce. [name_f]Thais[/name_f]! [name_f]Thais[/name_f]! [name_f]Thais[/name_f]!

It sounds like you have a good list. I think [name_f]Elise[/name_f] works nicely on a young person with your last name but what matters is what will make your sister happy and comfortable, whether it is her given name or a new one. It is good of you to be helping her. The suggestion of trying out possible names for a day or two is a good one. Best wishes to your family!

It’s easier at he end of words, she’s just struggling with middle and beginnings, whichI know will be solved soon but we don’t want to add anything hard for her, right? I’ll add these to the list and show her tomorrow. Thank you!

Me too! I love her name. But growing up having trouble with mine (works in english but such a mess in some other languages), I also think it would be a good idea. And she loved it! Because there’s a little girl in our neighbourhood who’s Eylul but goes as [name_f]Hailey[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Thais[/name_f]–I think its so lovely! I wish she didn’t have to change it. I know a [name_f]Tyas[/name_f], pronounced the same way, but he’s a boy. Anyways: what I would do if you’re still having problems with this, I would get her a name book. You can find them often at thrift stores for very cheap. Have her go through it, explain how they sound, and find one that way. Is there a reason it should sound very close to her real name? If not, just let her pick a name that she likes & is easier to pronounce! If she likes [name_f]Izzie[/name_f], it definitely works! I know “just Izzies” that may have real longer names but no one ever asks them. As long as she loves it (and I do think she should love it) and its easier, it will work out and people will like it!

Yes, its all in her at the end of the day! Thank you.9

Thank you!!! I really like this idea, actually, I’m doing it! No specific reason, just a preference of mine based on experience. I tried so many names growing up I kinda lost the feeling that I’m [name_f]Karissa[/name_f], or any other name I ever tried. I get a little scared it’ll do the same for her, but she’s not me and we intend to keep calling her her real name, so I might as well let her get creative but not crazy with it. I love that she loves [name_f]Izzie[/name_f], the first thing I noticed when I moved here is that every person with a Is/Iz name, becomes an [name_f]Izzie[/name_f]/[name_u]Izzy[/name_u]/[name_u]Issy[/name_u]/[name_f]Issie[/name_f] at some point, so I guess that’s going to happen anyway.

I think [name_f]Taya[/name_f] would be a good, intuitive choice since it’s very similar and begins with the same letter so it makes it less confusing. (She’d still have the same initials that way too!)

By the way, I think it’s so sweet that you’re helping your sister out with this :).