Still No Name and getting very close....!

My daughter’s name is [name]Celia[/name]. I loved it since I was 8 or 9 years old. I have found it impossible to fall in love with a name for my second daughter due in just 5 weeks. We are back and forth but nothing is gelling with me like [name]Celia[/name]. So give me your vibe on these two names:

[name]Celia[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name](nickname: [name]Maddy[/name])

[name]Celia[/name] and [name]Sadie[/name]

If you are bored and want to give me your impression of what kind of girl is a Madelein/ maddy or a sadie,that would be helpful. it would also be helpful to know if you are a mommy or if you are a teen giving me your impression. I have learned there are alot of teens on this site. Your insite is valued too, since I want my daughter to love her name. IF you are a teen…would you like the name [name]Sadie[/name]? [name]Madeleine[/name]? If you are a Mommy do you know any Sadies that are babies ? I already know [name]Madeleine[/name] is kind of popular…

[name]Hi[/name] I’m a teen in So. [name]Flo[/name]. so to me both names are uncommon. I’ve never met a [name]Madeleine[/name] but I’ve met one [name]Sadie[/name] who’s quiet but seems sweet. I personally think [name]Madeleine[/name] sounds better with [name]Celia[/name]. However, the names are not my taste. [name]Madeleine[/name] seems like a sweet girl and very feminine. [name]Sadie[/name] also seems very cute but I’d worry if it could stand alone as a first name. Good luck choosing a name.

[name]Hi[/name] I’m a teen posting but love names. [name]Celia[/name] is such a pretty name.

[name]Madeleine[/name] to me with [name]Celia[/name] says your settling for a name. Its too close to the annoying ‘maddy’ names. It isn’t nearly as pretty as [name]Celia[/name].

[name]Sadie[/name] sounds like a nickname. It doesn’t fit well with [name]Celia[/name].

Names I think fit well with [name]Celia[/name] is:

[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name] or [name]Aura[/name]
[name]Junia[/name]
[name]Serafina[/name]( the best) nn [name]Sera[/name] or [name]Fina[/name]

These name all fit [name]Celia[/name] very well.

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m a Mom; my daughter (2yrs old) is name [name]Cecilia[/name], so I just had to respond.

I know [name]Cecilia[/name] and [name]Celia[/name] are somewhat different in feel, but I thought perhaps they’re close enough that my hypothetical list if I ever have another daughter might be of interest to you. So here it is:

[name]Augusta[/name] [name]Violet[/name] (my favorite right now)
[name]Vivian[/name] [name]Claire[/name] (though this is getting unfortunately rather popular, probably too much so for my taste)
[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] _____

Some other names I love:
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]

By the way, I love [name]Madeleine[/name] but couldn’t stomach the popularity, personally (esp with nn [name]Maddy[/name] because it is being used by so many Madisons, a name that I really dislike). [name]Sadie[/name] is adorable, but I think it’s far too nicknamey, esp. next to [name]Celia[/name]. And [name]Sarah[/name] is nice, but probably not quite right for you.

[name]Hi[/name]!

I’m not quite a teen - I’m twenty - but I’m not a mommy either. I guess I’m an in-between-er, yeah? Anyway…

Would I name a child [name]Sadie[/name] or [name]Madeleine[/name]? Yeah, I could say those are both my style. I like vintage classics, so those both fit. I mean, I wouldn’t choose both of those names ([name]Lydia[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], and [name]Beatrix[/name] are on my list), but they are definitely on par with my favorites, I’d say. I wouldn’t choose [name]Sadie[/name] because it is a bit too cutesy for me - I’ve never been a fan of using nicknames as full names, as I wouldn’t want to only have that option myself. [name]Sadie[/name] is a nickname for [name]Sarah[/name], and my twin sister’s name is [name]Sarah[/name], so I would recommend naming your [name]Sadie[/name] [name]Sarah[/name], which gives her a more formal option to fall back on. As for [name]Madeleine[/name], I think it is gorgeous, really! That’s my favorite spelling and pronunciation of the name, and I think it is elegant yet still playful - who doesn’t love a [name]Maddie[/name], right? But at the same time, who doesn’t know a [name]Maddie[/name]? When you are trying to fit with [name]Celia[/name], a vintage name that really isn’t heard too much, I think you have to consider popularity. But, it doesn’t make me like [name]Madeleine[/name] any less, and I think she’s a wonderful sister for [name]Celia[/name] - both names are elegant, classic, and sophisticated, yet they have a light, fun image. But, because [name]Charlotte[/name]'s on my own list, I can’t judge you for loving a popular name like [name]Madeleine[/name], and I won’t judge you for it - I always say that loving a name is far more important than how popular it is. Here are more ideas for [name]Celia[/name]'s sister, should you want them:

[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Estella[/name]
[name]Gwendolyn[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name]

These are all names that I like. Maybe something will strike you as the one! If not, I vote [name]Madeleine[/name], for sure!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Congrats on baby girl #2!. I’m a mom to [name]Gwendolyn[/name]. I wonder if you could explain what you love about [name]Celia[/name], that may help with suggestions. Or if you have some rules that would automatically make something a No (like it can’t start with C or end in a). [name]Madeleine[/name] fits with [name]Celia[/name], I think, although it’s more popular and (worse, in my opinion) is that most people change the spelling to [name]Madelyn[/name] or similar so that your daughter would have to spell it/correct people. Although I do love the [name]Maddy[/name] nickname. [name]How[/name] about [name]Celia[/name] and:
[name]Louise[/name]/[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]/[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Joy[/name]

Good luck!

Thanks for all that advice… Its my husband really who likes [name]Maddy[/name]. I am a [name]Madeleine[/name] girl, pronounced with the [name]LYNN[/name] sound. My fear is she will just become a maddy. I just wish [name]Madison[/name] did not exist. Then I could just agree with him and move on. This name business is sucking the happiness out of the pregnancy. its really quite stressful. WIth [name]Celia[/name] I went in for my Csection with a [name]Happy[/name] Birthday [name]Celia[/name] Cake in hand. I feel like I am going to go with a blank cake and a tube of icing. Not cool!

Thanks for your input. One of my problems is my husband has 13 siblings so [name]Celia[/name] has a [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Meredith[/name], [name]Gwen[/name], [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Hayley[/name], [name]Emma[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Mary[/name], and the list goes on for cousins…[name]Add[/name] to it I am a teacher and so many names are NO way for me. Now add to it that Dad and I have unique names and that adds extra pressure. We dont necessarily want a wierd name. I am [name]Regan[/name] and I HATED my name(still dont like it but its fine) growing up. I was teased all the time. So I dont want a name that is unheard of or wierd. Classic and unique and very feminine is what I am going for. I get the trend with all these old ladies name coming back, like [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] but to me…they just are not Beautiful. [name]Celia[/name] to me is just a beautiful sound. Ultra feminine and light! I have always loved it.

If [name]Bella[/name] was not popular I would jump at that for that reason. I also like [name]Juliet[/name] but my husband does not. I tend to like cute names too. Perhaps more. I love [name]Remi[/name](husband hates it) I like [name]Emmy[/name] too. [name]Both[/name] feel too nicknamie though for [name]Celia[/name]'s sister. based on everything I read…my guess is [name]Celia[/name] is going to sore into the top 100 soon anyway. I wonder if [name]Madeleine[/name] and [name]Celia[/name] will equalize in popularity one day. I feel I have good instincts on names. I think [name]Serena[/name] would go well. [name]Clara[/name] was a choice for awhile(husband does not like it though) and finally [name]Norah[/name](not my favorite but I know it matches). I just cant get one I love. I swear I have seen every name. I am not sure what to do.

Last thing…My husband kind of wants an M because all the 2nd girl cousins are M names. [name]Just[/name] a freak thing but he noticed it: [name]Meredith[/name], [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name]. That is one reason he is stuck on [name]Madeleine[/name]. We considered [name]Myla[/name] for awhile but I got such a negative reaction from these posts that it scared me off.

The final criteria is my husband likes to call my daughter Celiabear. So he likes Maddybear and Sadiebear. he also liked MY-bear([name]Myla[/name]) wierd but cute. I cant fight him on this one…

I, like [name]Lemon[/name], am not quite a teen and not a Mom. I’m almost twenty but I’m also a Godmother to three awesome kids (a six year old and a set of one year old twins), so I spend a good deal of time with young kids. [name]Madeleine[/name] and [name]Sadie[/name] are both nice names. I can see either of them on a baby, a young girl and an adult. [name]Madeleine[/name] and it’s many versions ([name]Madeline[/name], [name]Madelyn[/name], and a number of less than pleasing spellings like Maddalynne) is very popular, as you know, and [name]Celia[/name] (which is lovely) is much less common. My other main concern with the name is the nickname [name]Maddy[/name], which is also co-opted by [name]Madison[/name] unfortunately. Have you considered [name]Matilda[/name]? It’s similar to [name]Madeleine[/name], has the nn [name]Mattie[/name] but is much less common. Another name that comes to mind is [name]Adeline[/name], which is similar to [name]Madeleine[/name], has the nn [name]Addy[/name] and though it’s rising in popularity, it’s still uncommon.

Okay, so as a young person I would not mind being named [name]Madeleine[/name]. It’s a pretty name and it’s familiar and [name]Maddy[/name]'s always seem to be nice girls. My only gripe with the name (if it were my name) would be the spelling and pronunciation issues that would arise. “Is it Ma-da-lyn or Ma-da-line or (even worse) Ma-da-lane” or mispellings like [name]Madeline[/name] or [name]Madelyn[/name], etc. I personally would not love to be named [name]Sadie[/name]. It seems very young to me and I’ve never liked when my parents call me nicknames from when I was little, so for me the name wouldn’t fit. But I do know a [name]Sadie[/name], she’s in middle school now, and her name seems to suit her very well. I believe it is her full name, not a nickname. I can imagine a [name]Sadie[/name] being very sweet and feminine. It’s very hard to imagine [name]Sadie[/name] being a tomboy or edgy at all. So I guess that’s one of the pitfalls of the name- it doesn’t have a lot flexibility. I guess it’s nature as a nickname, makes it nicknameless. If you know what I mean.

With [name]Celia[/name], neither name seems totally perfect to me. [name]Madeleine[/name] feels to common and [name]Sadie[/name] feels too young. Of course if you love either of these names you should go with your heart. Here are some other names that come to mind with [name]Celia[/name]:

[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Honor[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]

I hope that helps! If you have any more questions or want more suggestions let us know.

Oh and I just wanted to comment on [name]Celia[/name] becoming super popular. I don’t see the name ever becoming as popular as [name]Madeleine[/name] for a few reasons. One, it’s not soaring at all right now. It’s actually dropped over the past ten years. It was 620 in 2000, It went up to 594, then dropped back down and is currently at 756 and fell two spots in the last year. If you look at [name]Madeline[/name], it rose slowly in the 80s, then in 86 it jumped 235 spots, it then rose slowly until 1993 when it broke the top 100 and since then it has rose to the 60s. That’s not counting it’s many other spellings. [name]Celia[/name] isn’t one of those names that has many spellings, it doesn’t end in “lyn” or an “n” for that matter, it doesn’t have a strong intuitive nickname (like [name]Maddy[/name]) and it’s still seen as pretty vintage by most parents. [name]Even[/name] if it did rise the way [name]Madeline[/name] did, it wouldn’t be in the top 100 until 2020 and that’s not likely because [name]Celia[/name] has been declining recently. Also, it’s interesting to realize that back in the early 1900s [name]Madeline[/name] was a relatively popular name (it was in the top 200 from 1893-1931) whereas [name]Celia[/name] fell out of popularity in 1912, so if naming happens in cycles then it makes sense that these two names would have a bit of lag between them, because even 100 years ago they fit very different molds.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use [name]Madeleine[/name]. It’s very pretty and in the long run it doesn’t quite matter if one siblings name is a lot more popular than the other.

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m a teen but I’m obsessed with names. So I hope I can help a bit. [name]Madeleine[/name] is a cute name… but like you said the [name]Maddy[/name] nick name might not work well. There are SO many [name]Maddy[/name]'s out there. I think [name]Sadie[/name] is adorable too. I have never met one and it seems like a sweet name. I think I might have a couple suggestions for other names, though. So your husband wants an M name that is not already one of his cousins… how about [name]Molly[/name]? It goes pretty well with [name]Celia[/name], it’s not that popular and its adorable. I know a 3 year old named [name]Molly[/name] and she is so cute. Another name would be [name]Lucy[/name]. It’s similar to [name]Molly[/name] and it’s adorable too.
If I think of anything else I’ll post again, good luck and I hope all works out!! =D

My little sister is just [name]Sadie[/name] with a longer mn. She’s 6 and it’s perfect. [name]Sadie[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name] is really cute. You could always call her [name]Maddy[/name].

P.S.- I like the spelling [name]Maddie[/name] instead of [name]Maddy[/name]

[name]Regan[/name],

I completely agree with Freckles regarding the popularity of [name]Celia[/name]. I just don’t see it ever becoming as popular as [name]Madeleine[/name] (and [name]Madeline[/name] and [name]Madelyn[/name]). As she noted, [name]Celia[/name] has actually dropped in popularity by over 100 places over the past ten years, whereas [name]Madeleine[/name] has enjoyed a rather constant place in name popularity over the past decade - around 300. Now, combined with [name]Madeline[/name] and [name]Madelyn[/name], which both show up on the charts around #60, and you’ve got a pretty common name. Spelling variants make any name seem more popular, simply because there are more ways to get to it. You don’t see any of those with [name]Celia[/name], as Freckles noted. Plus, [name]Madeleine[/name] has a built-in nickname that is also quite common, especially with the 1990s increase in the use of [name]Madison[/name] - [name]Celia[/name] doesn’t have a clearly defined nickname option. As far as being a vintage name, you would think [name]Celia[/name] would be on the rise. However, its more common form, [name]Cecilia[/name], isn’t even that common - around 250. I think vintage nature names, like [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name], and comfortable classics, like [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name], are more likely to climb the charts, especially when these type of names seem to be consistently chosen by celebrities - in fact, all of the four names I listed have been bestowed on a celebrity child!

Okay, I didn’t want to come on here and lecture about name popularity, because at the end of the day, what do I know? I did want to tell you that I think it is a neat connection that both your name, [name]Regan[/name], and your daughter’s name, [name]Celia[/name], are both Shakespearean! Coming from ‘[name]King[/name] Lear’ and ‘As You Like It,’ respectively, both names have a spunky flavor and romantic feel - though you might not see it at first in your own name - that are distinctly quirky classic. So, without further ado, I present to you some prime Shakespearean names that might fit the bill for [name]Celia[/name]'s little sister:

[name]Adriana[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Cassandra[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Francisca[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Katharina[/name]
[name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Luciana[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Rosaline[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]

Of those, ones that I think are the most romantic and feminine, as [name]Celia[/name] is, are [name]Diana[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]Isabel[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Katharina[/name], [name]Luciana[/name], [name]Miranda[/name], [name]Rosaline[/name], and [name]Viola[/name]. You mentioned [name]Celia[/name] being light, and we must have different definitions of light ([name]Lily[/name] is “light” for me!), but I think the special thing about [name]Celia[/name] is that it captures a sense of feminine grace and softness coupled with a strong exterior. That’s what I think you need to find in her sister’s name, and I think these fit the bill. Good luck!

PS And I did want to mention that if you find yourself liking [name]Bella[/name] but are wary of the ever-popular [name]Isabella[/name], you might consider [name]Arabella[/name], a great, underused vintage name with endless romantic, feminine appeal! [name]Mirabelle[/name] and [name]Christabel[/name] are other classic options that might fit the bill, especially [name]Mirabelle[/name] since it begins with an M. AraBeara or MiraBear, anyone?

PPS I know you weren’t necessarily looking for other suggestions, so I’ll end my suggestions with this post. Best of luck to you, [name]Regan[/name]!

[name]Celia[/name] is fantastic!
I am a teen!

[name]Sadie[/name]: I don’t think this goes well with [name]Celia[/name] for two reasons #1: It is too nicknamey and cute whereas [name]Celia[/name] is sleek, sophisticated & beautiful. #2: They don’t start with the same letter but the SSSS is in both names. [name]Kinda[/name] like if you had a [name]Keira[/name] & a [name]Caitlin[/name] as sisters.

[name]Madeleine[/name]: I live in the South, where [name]Maddie[/name] or [name]Madison[/name] or [name]Madeline[/name] ([name]Madelynn[/name]) is heard all the time! [name]Celia[/name] is more unique therefore a more unique sister would sound better.

Suggestions:

[name]Celia[/name] & [name]Aveline[/name] (Avabear, Linabear)
[name]Celia[/name] & [name]Juliet[/name] (Juliebear, Lulubear, Lilabear, Ettabear, Lilliebear)
[name]Celia[/name] & [name]Eliza[/name] (Lizabear, Elliebear, Zizibear)
[name]Celia[/name] & [name]Elodie[/name] (Lolabear, Elliebear, Odiebear))
[name]Celia[/name] & [name]Evelyn[/name] (Evabear, Elynbear)
[name]Celia[/name] & [name]Olive[/name] (Olliebear, Livibear)
[name]Celia[/name] & [name]Olivette[/name] (Livibear, Olliebear)
[name]Celia[/name] & [name]Marguerite[/name] (Gretabear)
[name]Celia[/name] & [name]Nicola[/name] (Cocobear, Colliebear, Nickibear)
[name]Celia[/name] & [name]Nicolette[/name] (Cocobear, Colliebear, Nickibear, Lettybear)
[name]Celia[/name] & [name]Odette[/name] (Dottiebear, Odiebear, Ettabear)

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

[name]Isabel[/name]

You really are quite helpful! I already thought of the shakespeare connection…especially when I was trying to make a go with [name]Juliet[/name] with my husband… His response, “since when are you into shakespeare?” [name]True[/name]… but…its kind of cool that it connects celia and [name]Regan[/name] too! Thanks for all your great thinking. You could make this a career. i swear I would pay big bucks if I could just land a name. I am spending so much time looking at the same names…

SO SO funny…first of all…when I was a tween…I named my barbie molly all the time so I obviously loved the name. [name]Lucy[/name] was my pick for awhile but our last name is LISTER making her [name]Lucy[/name] Lister. Personally, I think its cute but most people have said something along the line of --“It sounds like a Porn star name.” [name]Ouch[/name]. My mom just does not like it. Ironically she likes [name]Lily[/name](too popular) and really [name]Lily[/name] Lister is much worse with the triple L. SO I tried to sell [name]Lucy[/name] for a month or so and then gave up. ALthough it is gaining popularity…I have to agree its so cute and how could anyone not love a [name]LUCY[/name]? RIght? Thank you for your suggestions. Very perceptive.

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Regan[/name]!

Aw, no to [name]Jules[/name]? I think that a sister set of [name]Celia[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], and [name]Rosaline[/name] would be so fun. Each name has “li” in it! Ha! Anyway, part of why I love [name]Juliet[/name] so much is the [name]Jules[/name] nickname - it is just so spunky and fresh! - plus the fact that [name]Juliet[/name] is so romantic and elegant, like [name]Celia[/name]. But, alas, your husband doesn’t like it.

You know, I agree with you - [name]Lily[/name] Lister is ridiculous but [name]Lucy[/name] Lister is alliteratively adorable! You could always use [name]Luciana[/name] Lister, thus giving [name]Lucie[/name] and [name]Ana[/name] as potential nicknames for her…

Best of luck! Keep us posted!