Still No Name...Henry (nn Dec)

I am embarassed to admit that we still haven’t officially named our son yet. He is 17 days old.

So…for the last couple weeks, we were trying to decide between [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Declan[/name] and for some reason, we started to call him Dec. Now everyone in the fam has been calling him Dec (which we like). But, I really want to name him [name]Henry[/name] b/c I think it fits him better and I like the history of the name. But, we love the nn “Dec”. Would it be weird to name him [name]Henry[/name] and call him “Dec”?

His first name will be [name]Robert[/name] (after my hubby), but we were always planning on calling him his middle name which now, has become very complicated. It would be [name]Robert[/name] [name]Henry[/name] (nn Dec).

Thanks!!!

I’d say if you want him to be called Dec outside the family (say at school when’s he older) than definately use [name]Declan[/name] as the mn. If you see it as more of an affectionate pet name to be used in the home then it doesn’t matter too much. Many babies are called by endearing names that wouldn’t be used as true nicknames later in life. My husband called our first son (named [name]Paul[/name]) Sputnik (for no discernable reason) for at least his first month. I call my toddler [name]Kit[/name] [name]Kat[/name] (which does bare some resemeblance to her given name [name]Katharine[/name]) but I don’t expect her to introduce herself as [name]Kit[/name] [name]Kat[/name] later in life.

(Thinking about it some more it sounds like you have named your baby [name]Robert[/name] [name]Declan[/name] but are having a hard time letting go of [name]Henry[/name].)