Still Usable?

Husband and I have discussed we will TTC later this year. One of the top contenders for our son was [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f] if he were a girl and we still both love it. I have liked the since I saw “The Help”. To me it has a mid-century vibe, a dash of southern charm, international variants, easy to pronounce, not as frilly as like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] or [name_f]Carolina[/name_f], not super popular.

It’s also the name of the step daughter of my co worker. Typically I wouldn’t care. She didn’t even name the child and even if she did she doesn’t own the name. Here’s the juicy part:

When we announced we what we were using (most of the regulars on here know my son’s name so I won’t post) she made some comments that he would get bullied. A few months after my son was born, she found she was having a boy and announced they were using the nn that my son goes by claiming that her four year old son thought of it out of the blue and she would brag about it daily. Her story had a few discrepancies, and of course I just wanted her to admit the name I chose grew on her, but she never did. I left it because I figured after maternity leave she would prefer to talk about the baby versus his name. Unfortunately that hasn’t been the case.

Anyways there is a pretty good chance we will be moving in the next year or so, but I would have contact people in the office and fear using [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f] may look vindictive. What do other berries think? Any alternative name suggestions…I like [name_f]Ouida[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and [name_f]Ursula[/name_f]. hubs isn’t sold. He likes things like [name_f]Yvonne[/name_f] and I am not a fan.

If you made it through this post, I’m impressed

I would use the name! As you said, she was not the one who named her step daughter… and even if you have some contact with her after you move, I doubt that your conversations will only be composed of how your kids all having similar names? :stuck_out_tongue:
[name_f]Eugenia[/name_f] is lovely, and you could always use [name_f]Jeanie[/name_f] as a nn?

Suggestions:
[name_f]Edna[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Geraldine[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Giselle[/name_f]
[name_f]Denise[/name_f]
[name_f]Phyllis[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhonda[/name_f]
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f]
[name_f]Edwina[/name_f]
[name_f]Renee[/name_f]
[name_f]Glenda[/name_f]
[name_f]Thelma[/name_f]
[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f]
[name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Patricia[/name_f]
[name_f]Julianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Marcela[/name_f]

I’d definitely say the name is still usable, unless the association ruins it for you. If you don’t love the name the same, don’t use it. But I wouldn’t not use the name just because of this situation.

You know my style well as [name_f]Thelma[/name_f] was a serious contender round one. I especially love [name_f]Rhoda[/name_f], [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Phyllis[/name_f]. And I think you might be right. I think I more sensitive now because five days a week I endure her bragging about how unique her son’s name, how cool it is that her son came up with it. I doubt when if I move I will have contact with her, just people who know her. I’m sure when I m not hearing from her daily I won’t be as annoyed

I think you should use it, like you said, you won’t be around her forever.

You’re right! Thanks. I think the association annoys be me now because literally five days a week she has to brag about how unique the name is and her story (which changes). In reality, I don’t care that she used my son’s name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] want her to be honest how she came up with it. Maybe if I’m not around her, I won’t be as annoyed and the association will be a past memory

Thanks. I’m in my early 30s. She is still young and has the attitude that her children’s names need to be unique. Maybe I need to politely remind her that my son was named first and move on. If I decide to use [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f] down the road, I’ll acknowledge her step daughter. Hopefully when Im not around the mother at work five days a week, I won’t be so annoyed and not worried about having two kids with the same name

I say use the name! If she is still talking about her “unique” name it’s only because she hasn’t realized that a) no one cares and b) she sounds like a pretentious bubble of passed gas every time she does so. If someone in my office kept going on and on about a baby name, I’d probably tell them to keep it to themselves because no one cares. Also, if everyone knows what you named your son and then she used something similar, people probably don’t think she’s all that creative.

I’d use the name. I’m sure this co-worker will make a comment, but you can play dumb (because, really, I don’t memorize the names of all of my co-worker’s children, step-children, cousins, etc.). Like I said, I very much believe no one else around her even cares all that much.

For what it’s worth, I think [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f] is a really beautiful name!

You are so nice- just the pick me up I needed. Exactly!I’m pretty fed up with her. The other two attorneys in the office are too. We all tend use the other paralegals if at all possible. All of us are inspired by others, whether it’s an internet community , celebrities or the cool attorney in your office. No need for crazy stories that evolve every other day. My only concern using [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f] is some in the office may feel I’m trying to get back at her. My husband finishes his medical residency soon and so far the places that have shown interest are out of state so I wouldn’t be around the drama if [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f] felt right.

Also you have lovely names too. I especially love your boy names and middle names for girls

Thank you. I think it’s a combination of “a” and “b”. The thing is she is very aware of my son’s name as she came to the baby shower. My co-workers are actually more annoyed than me. I think it’s awesome she used the name, just not a fan of the stories. I am not remotely concerned if she feels I “copied” her, she “copied me first”. I am more concerned that other coworkers will see it as me trying to get back at her and me having to defend my choice for the next six months. I’m slowly getting over that. If I like it I will defend it once and move on.

I think it’s definitely usable. If the woman in question or anyone else thinks you would go so far as to name your child as a form of retaliation, then that’s just sad. [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f] is clearly is a beautiful, classy, and refreshing name. It’s high on my own list, and it sounds like you and your husband both love it too. So go for the name you love!