Strength and sparkle and whimsy

I love gemstone names, particularly slightly uncommon ones, like [name_f]Amethyst[/name_f], [name_f]Topaz[/name_f], and [name_u]Garnet[/name_u]. I love the shining, strong imagery. I don’t love the lack of nicknames.

Today I was struck by [name_f]Peridot[/name_f] and have fallen in love. The built-in nicknames [name_u]Peri[/name_u] and [name_f]Dot[/name_f]?! The playful green hue? So much goodness!
I understand the ending t can be silent or pronounced, but I think it’s sweet both ways.

What do you all think?

2 Likes

Doe, perhaps. [name_f]Peridot[/name_f] is pronounced [peh-ree-doh].

There’s also [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_u]Onyx[/name_u], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Jade[/name_f]…

1 Like

I like [name_f]Peridot[/name_f]! It’s really cute and pretty. I do think it can wear on an adult, and I think it’s able to be taken seriously.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Peridot[/name_f] is a very cute name and it’s my birthstone however I keep reading it as periodt like the slang term. And that’s on periodt. I’ve recently discovered [name_f]Emerald[/name_f] and really like it, even more so for a boy.

I like [name_f]Peridot[/name_f], although I prefer the “doh” spelling and hence wouldn’t use [name_f]Dot[/name_f] as a nn. I love [name_u]Peri[/name_u] though!
As for [name_f]Amethyst[/name_f], [name_f]Topaz[/name_f], and [name_u]Garnet[/name_u], I think they could definitely be nicknamed. [name_f]Amethyst[/name_f] could become [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Topaz[/name_f] could become Taz, and [name_u]Garnet[/name_u] could possibly become [name_u]Gary[/name_u] for a boy or [name_f]Netta[/name_f] for a girl? The last two might be more of a stretch…
I also like [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f], nn Saphi or Phira perhaps?

1 Like

I know of a boy named [name_u]Perry[/name_u], which I think is pretty cute! So I can definitely see [name_u]Peri[/name_u] as a girl nickname for [name_f]Peridot[/name_f] :blush:

I’ve always liked [name_f]Amethyst[/name_f]! I think some good nicknames are [name_f]Amy[/name_f] or [name_u]Tris[/name_u] (like from Divergent)

1 Like

I’ve suggested [name_f]Peridot[/name_f] several times. I like it pronounced without the t.

What would you pair it with?

1 Like

To me, I can’t help but read ‘period’, however, I don’t see why it can’t be a real name if names like [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Amber[/name_f] can be! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here, although it’s even worse with new “spelling” periodt… :grimacing:

2 Likes

I LOVE [name_f]Peridot[/name_f] as a name. I wish I had some sort of connection to it, because it seems sort of random otherwise, but she is so intriguing and precious! I would love to meet a little one with [name_f]Peridot[/name_f] in her name. :heart:

1 Like

Love the nickname [name_f]Perrie[/name_f]

But yes definitely don’t pronounce the t

Amethyst - [name_f]Amy[/name_f]
[name_f]Sapphire[/name_f] - Safi although could get confused with all the [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]’s and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]’s fits right in
[name_f]Amber[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Emerald[/name_f] - [name_f]Emmie[/name_f], [name_u]Allie[/name_u]
[name_f]Citrine[/name_f]
Alexandrite - fits right in with all the [name_u]Alex[/name_u] names
Aquamarine
Andaluzite - [name_f]Luzie[/name_f], andie, [name_f]Lula[/name_f]
[name_m]Quartz[/name_m]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
Moonstone
[name_m]Obsidian[/name_m]
[name_u]Onyx[/name_u] - I know a little bit called onyx
[name_f]Agate[/name_f] - [name_f]Agathe[/name_f] is also a [name_u]French[/name_u] form of [name_f]Agatha[/name_f]
[name_m]Carnelian[/name_m] - [name_f]Carlie[/name_f]
[name_f]Turquoise[/name_f]
Morganite
[name_m]Malachite[/name_m]
[name_f]Lapis[/name_f] [name_u]Lazuli[/name_u]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_f]Diamond[/name_f]
[name_f]Crystal[/name_f]

2 Likes

Peridot is lovely - charming and whimsical

1 Like

I love [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. Totally different imagery but so pretty.

Huh, I’ve never heard of that term. I’ll look into it.

I love [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f]. And Taz for [name_f]Topaz[/name_f] is really cute!

I only do honor middles, and unfortunately my family names aren’t great. Maybe [name_f]Alvira[/name_f] or [name_f]Judith[/name_f].

1 Like

Intriguing and precious… I like that.

1 Like

I quite like [name_f]Peridot[/name_f]. Definitely sparkly and whimsical. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it’s pronounced -doh at the end, I still think you could use the nickname [name_f]Dot[/name_f] and be just fine. People will know that it’s spelled -dot at the end even if it isn’t pronounced that way.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Peridot[/name_f] [name_f]Vira[/name_f] would be awesome and [name_f]Alvira[/name_f] and [name_f]Judith[/name_f] would work well, too.

My son has an unpopular middle name ([name_m]Milton[/name_m]). He was named after my grandfather and I have never regretted using it. [name_f]My[/name_f] son has very common first and last names and I think that he liked having the uncommon mn.

I agree- I’d rather use an honor name that I don’t love from I person I do.

1 Like