Strong and zippy gir'ls names

Right, so I thought we had a somewhat solid list. But now, when writing a comment to the “what does a… look like”, I realised that our top picks on the girl’s name list may be classic and feminine but maybe not necessarily “strong” (not that they’re weak either).

Current top picks: [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Marina[/name_f], [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f], [name_f]Gloria[/name_f]

What do you think of those? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any “strong” name suggestions?

[name_f]TIA[/name_f] (it seems like I’m having a bit of a wobble…)

None of them really come at me as “strong” either. What about…

[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_f]Calista[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_u]Holland[/name_u]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Astoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Hadassah[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f]
[name_f]Forsythia[/name_f]
[name_f]Morgana[/name_f]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilias[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Noor[/name_f]
[name_f]Odetta[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f]
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Salome[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_f]Tempest[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Thessaly[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]

From yours, [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and [name_f]Gloria[/name_f] stand out as “stronger” names, whereas [name_f]Marina[/name_f] and [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] seem to be more frilly or “soft”. This is my truly only my opinion, how the names sound to my ear.

Some other ideas that I think of as “strong”:

[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Selena[/name_f]
[name_f]Alana[/name_f]/[name_f]Lana[/name_f]
[name_f]Monica[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Allegra[/name_f]
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Adriana[/name_f]/[name_f]Adrianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]/[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabina[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Marina[/name_f] the most, then [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f]. [name_f]Gloria[/name_f] does seem a bit old-fashioned to me but it’s not horribly dated. I think everyone has a different idea of what a strong name is. I guess for me common, classic names like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] bring to mind strength.

I like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], [name_f]Antonia[/name_f], [name_f]Claudia[/name_f], and [name_f]Willa[/name_f] from pps.

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Eudora[/name_f]
[name_f]Eugenia[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ismene[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Phaedra[/name_f]
[name_f]Raisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Tess[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]

Some of those are gorgeous, thanks :)! I really like [name_f]Philippa[/name_f].

Yes, I agree. [name_f]Marina[/name_f] is probably the softest…

[name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] and [name_f]Antonia[/name_f] are all really great. And probably a bit softer than out current top pics (also the nickname options… [name_u]Frankie[/name_u], Cesca, [name_u]Tony[/name_u] and… ehm… Hellie?)

[name_f]Gloria[/name_f] is the one I’m really unsure about. I quite like old-fashioned names, but there’s the “right” and the wrong kind of old-fashioned. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] vintage names and then there are the 60ies - 90ies name that just aren’t old-fashioned enough… yet.

I think I know what yoo mean with the classic names being truly strong… But I personally unfortunately dislike [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], have a negative association towards [name_f]Anna[/name_f], don’t like the pronunciation of [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] in [name_m]French[/name_m] or [name_m]German[/name_m] (but it sounds so lovely in English…!) but [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]… Or maybe [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] could be really nice. Thanks :)!

I really like [name_f]Ismene[/name_f] (it’s a bit tragic but so lovely!), [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] and [name_f]Tess[/name_f] of your suggestions. Although I am wondering whether they might be a bit too adventurous for us… [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] is cute. But I wonder whether it should be [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]/[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] is too nickname-y?

I also like [name_f]Lena[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Helen[/name_f]/[name_f]Helena[/name_f]. [name_f]Lena[/name_f] sounds softer to my ear than [name_f]Helen[/name_f]/[name_f]Helena[/name_f]. [name_f]Nia[/name_f] is another softer nn for [name_f]Antonia[/name_f]. You could also use [name_f]Antonina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Nina[/name_f].

“Soft” and “strong” are so subjective though. I cannot put my finger on what exactly makes something sound one way or another, I think it may be based on the sound mostly. Or possibly personal associations. So again, very subjective!

I absolutely agree. If I had a really plucky friend named [name_f]Marina[/name_f] (or a favourite character from a book of my childhood etc…) then I would probably see it as a really strong and zippy name…

Probably why [name_f]Luise[/name_f] is a bit zippier than [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] in my personal opion (although I do prefer the sound and look of [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] naming is not only difficult but also rather weird/irrational…

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is a perfect mix of strong yet soft.

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] seems the strongest to me. Other thoughts:
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_u]Joan[/name_u]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]

[name_m]Just[/name_m] noticed that [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is on this nameberry list of “Strong Names for Girls” and means “renowned warrior.” That is pretty strong I would say. Wonder Women Names: Strong names for girls | Nameberry

Also re nicknames for [name_f]Helen[/name_f]/[name_f]Helena[/name_f], I think [name_f]Nell[/name_f] is cute.

I agree with these. [name_m]Add[/name_m]:
[name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Angela[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] / [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eileen[/name_f]
[name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_f]Patricia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Avril[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Freda[/name_f]
[name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]

[name_u]True[/name_u]… The soft sound of [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] with the actually quite powerful/strong meaning of the name… That could be really lovely. I unfortunately already know a [name_f]Nell[/name_f] (and she’s imo quite awful…). But it is a lovely nickname, yes. Thanks :slight_smile:

[name_f]Angela[/name_f] is awesome, thanks. Although… [name_f]Angelina[/name_f] and [name_f]Angelica[/name_f] are also really nice.
[name_f]Cora[/name_f] is lovely :slight_smile:

Sorry for any repeats:

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] (one of my faves)
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessica[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]

I think both [name_u]Marian[/name_u] and [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] have the feeling of strength. Here are some that scream strength and can still be a bit zippy to me…

[name_f]Alexandria[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Francine[/name_f]
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosemond[/name_f]
[name_f]Stefania[/name_f]
[name_f]Valentina[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_f]Zephyrine[/name_f]

Sorry for any repeats:

Ophelia
Alice
Daisy
Lauren
Eleanor
Gemma
Astrid
Louisa (one of my faves)
Zoe
Hannah
Jessica
Lucy
Ruth
Sadie
Saskia

Seems like most people like [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]. Which is awesome, seeing as it’s one of our top pics :wink: And [name_u]Lou[/name_u] could be quite “zippy”. [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] is one of my favourite names but it is very 80ies… [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] is also lovely, thanks!

Alexandria
Anastasia
Delphine
Evangeline
Francine
Guinevere
Isabella
Josephine
Lorelei
Marguerite
Natalia
Ophelia
Philomena
Rosemond
Stefania
Valentina
Wilhelmina
Zara
Zephyrine

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]. But [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] and [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] are all super popular so there will be so many girls with one of those names the next few years… [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] is great but sounds honestly horrible in Swiss [name_m]German[/name_m] (U-nuh-shtuh-see-uh). And [name_f]Zephyrine[/name_f] is gorgeous! Thank you :)!

Zinnia
Lula
Cosima
Adela
Theodora
Octavia
Eva
Louisa (seconding this!)
Rosamund
Ana
Rosario
Ivalo
Amalia
Felicia
Victoria
Josephine
Anneliese
Lena
Maria
Helena
Adelina
Ruby
Sienna

I hope you like some of these

well, I obviously like [name_f]Helena[/name_f] and [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] :wink: But yes I also like a few others. Thank you v much. I especially like [name_f]Lena[/name_f]. Also as a stand alone, actually. Which I don’t think my spouse or I have had on any of our lists yet… Or it could be a nickname for [name_f]Helena[/name_f] :slight_smile: