Strong Name for a Micropreemie Boy? Nickname for Samson (other than Sam)?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], berries!

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, we know our little boy will be a preemie, and there’s a good chance he could be a micropreemie. He’s already overcome some grim statistics and is beating odds like a little champ, and it just feels like he should have a strong, little fighter name. Any ideas? I’d also be open to meanings of blessing, gift, etc.

My husband’s name is [name_m]Samson[/name_m] (goes by [name_u]Sam[/name_u]), and there’s part of me that would love to use it, since, hello, strength connotation and then the family name bonus. But, his dad is [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], his niece is [name_f]Samantha[/name_f], so there are already too many Sams running around. Any other nicknames for [name_m]Samson[/name_m] or a non-[name_m]Junior[/name_m] nickname for a second?

Thanks for your help. We thought we had until [name_f]April[/name_f] to sort through a name, but would love to find something to be calling this little guy we are praying for.

(For reference, his big sisters are [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] and [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f].)

“[name_m]Little[/name_m] champ” immediately made me think of [name_m]Victor[/name_m].

[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] means “God is my strength” and [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] (love the nn. [name_m]Zeke[/name_m]!) means “God strengthens.”

Then there are the lion names, which to me say strength and tenacity—[name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_u]Lionel[/name_u], maybe even [name_m]Judah[/name_m]. [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] and [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] mean “brave lion.”

[name_u]Sonny[/name_u] could be another nickname for [name_m]Samson[/name_m] (and it makes a good [name_m]Junior[/name_m] name too).

We’re rooting for your little guy!

[name_m]Samson[/name_m] is really lovely, especially with your daughters’ names, and a great choice for your little fighter. I second pp’s suggestion of [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] as the other obvious nickname for [name_m]Samson[/name_m] and also as a cute nickname for a second.

Some of my favourite names with strong/brave/fighter meanings:
[name_m]Conan[/name_m] - little wolf
[name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] - brave journey
[name_m]Griffin[/name_m]/[name_m]Griffith[/name_m] - (potentially) strong prince
[name_m]Leander[/name_m] - lion man
[name_m]Leonard[/name_m] - brave lion
[name_m]Lorcan[/name_m] - little fierce one
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] - great
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] - coincides with Latin for soldier
[name_m]Richard[/name_m] - brave power
[name_u]Valentine[/name_u] - strong

Other names with a strong/heroic sound:
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Axel[/name_m]
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_m]Garrett[/name_m]
[name_m]Hector[/name_m]
[name_m]Holden[/name_m]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]/[name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m] (means “behold, a son” which is kind of sweet)
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_u]Sander[/name_u]

Good luck!

I really like someone’s suggestion of [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_m]Samson[/name_m].

Other Suggestions

[name_m]Gideon[/name_m] (great warrior) [name_u]Sam[/name_u]
[name_m]Valor[/name_m] (bravery/courage) [name_m]Samson[/name_m]
[name_m]Pheonix[/name_m] [name_m]Samson[/name_m]

The suggestion of [name_m]Victor[/name_m] [name_m]Samson[/name_m] is fantastic. You could even name him [name_m]Samson[/name_m] [name_m]Victor[/name_m] and call him [name_m]Victor[/name_m].

My thoughts exactly. I love [name_m]Samson[/name_m], it’s a beautiful name and has the gorgeous symbolic “sun” meaning as well as the strength association. [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] would be perfect.

All the very, very best!

I had always kind of thought that [name_m]Valor[/name_m] as a middle name would be perfect for a preemie baby boy.

“great courage in the face of danger, especially in battle”

[name_m]Liam[/name_m]- Resolute Defender
[name_m]Ethan[/name_m]- Strong
[name_u]Max[/name_u]/ [name_m]Maximus[/name_m]- Greatest
[name_u]Dustin[/name_u]- Fighter
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]- [name_m]Little[/name_m] Warrior
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]- Sea warrior
[name_m]Griffith[/name_m]- chief warrior

I know of a [name_m]Samson[/name_m] called [name_u]Sunny[/name_u].
Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!

A stretch but name Samwell called [name_m]Wells[/name_m].

I like the suggestions already made. I’ll add [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]. It means ‘he laughs.’ I love the idea of joy in overcoming. I had a preemie boy, too, who is 5 now, as well as a preemie girl who was stillborn. Hanging onto the joy and the hope and the love are really the source of strength.

Some examples:
[name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] - [name_m]Leo[/name_m] means lion, of course
[name_m]Axel[/name_m] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] - [name_m]Axel[/name_m] is the [name_m]German[/name_m] (?) form of [name_m]Absalom[/name_m], which means peace or maybe father of peace; I like that it means peace but sounds like a warrior name, the exact situation of the NICU, in my experience
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]

I like the added light and joy that “he laughs” would bring to a name. Our stillborn daughter has the middle name [name_f]Claire[/name_f], because it reminds me of light.

[name_u]Stanley[/name_u] and Oxnard :slight_smile: