Strong name for our second girl

My husband and I are stuck on a name for a second girl. Our first is [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] Lulabelle ([name_f]Livie[/name_f] [name_f]Lu[/name_f] for short). We came up with her middle name first, and went with [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] because it went so well together even though it’s such a common name.

We would like a strong sounding name (or with a strong meaning) but I keep floating towards flowery names that my husband doesn’t like. We like [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] as a middle name for our second but not much goes with it. Open to suggestions! We like

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] (or mn) this is my husbands favorite, but it seems like it could be a bit much for a first name!
[name_f]Adele[/name_f] (or mn)
Elliotte (my favorite, husband doesn’t love it)
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Annie[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Isobelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]

We need help!!!

From your list I think [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] sound the best. I also think [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] would work as a first name and a good sister to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].

[name_f]Delilah[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] would be beautiful.

Other ideas
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]/[name_f]Adelyn[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]

Best of luck!

I don’t love Elliotte or [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] with [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] because the beginnings sound so similar. I like both [name_f]Adele[/name_f] and [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], but they’re a mouthful when paired with [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]. [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is totally usable in my opinion, but definitely more out there than [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], and paired with [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]… that’s a lot of mythological symbolism for one kid.

I agree that [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] would work well, with great nickname potential. Also maybe [name_f]Althea[/name_f]?

Hmm…
[name_f]Athena[/name_f] - I think [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is a lovely mythological name but I don’t think [name_f]Athena[/name_f] works well with [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] the ‘a’ endings don’t work well.

[name_f]Adele[/name_f] - A lovely [name_m]German[/name_m] choice and with the great meaning ‘noble’ which ultimately sounds strong which is the memo your looking for. [name_f]Adele[/name_f] does sound a bit of a mouthful with [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]. Again the names do sound strange together, which is the same issue with [name_f]Athena[/name_f].

Elliotte - I think this butchered spelling of the name [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is the opposite of strong. I think for girls a strong name needs to have femininity and class which this name doesn’t.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - I absolutely love the name [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]! [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] sounds strong, feminine, and is a classic. I think the flow with [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is slightly distorted but not the end of the world, it’s just a bit of a mouthful. However regarding the name [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] she’s perfect and would use in a heartbeat.

[name_f]Annie[/name_f] - [name_f]Annie[/name_f] is freaking adorable!! So cute. But I do prefer [name_f]Annie[/name_f] as a nickname. There as so many fabulous names that work as a nickname for [name_f]Annie[/name_f] such as [name_f]Annalise[/name_f], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], [name_f]Anya[/name_f], [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Amabel[/name_f], and the graceful [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. It’s a great nickname.

[name_f]Grace[/name_f] - A lovely virtue name. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] has a great sound and is just a classic. You cannot go wrong with [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Grace[/name_f] sounds great with [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is pretty. Also it’s refreshing to see [name_f]Grace[/name_f] outside the middle name slot.

[name_f]Isobelle[/name_f] - This is strange sort of like a mash up of the Scottish [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] and the [name_m]French[/name_m] [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]. Visually this name does not work. I would either go with [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] or go with [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]. [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] feels fresher compared to [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] sounds pretty.

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - I absolutely love the name [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. It’s a beautiful Greek classic, even though the name has risen in popularity she sounds fresh and I think both works with [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] & [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] & [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is beautiful sibling set.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] - A regal sounding name. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is beautiful, feminine, and has a range of great nicknames [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] & [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]. Both [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] & [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] working well for two different personalities.

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] - I am not keen on this name at all.

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] & [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] Lulabelle is the best pairing

: )

What a beautiful name your daughter has! :slight_smile:
Out of your list I like
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], probably my favourite

[name_m]How[/name_m] about:
[name_f]Ottille[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]

I also think [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is perfect as a first name too when paired with [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]!

Instead of using [name_f]Athena[/name_f], use her [name_m]Roman[/name_m] name [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]! Then you could use the nickname [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], unless you can’t think of it without thinking of [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] Mouse. What about…

[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_u]Dove[/name_u] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenora[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Athena[/name_f], please pick [name_f]Athena[/name_f], If not [name_f]Athena[/name_f], how about [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Hera[/name_f], or [name_f]Olympia[/name_f]?

I’m also gonna suggest the name [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] because it’s cute and a strong lady name. [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] [name_f]Hera[/name_f] is a sweet sounding name

I love [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]! But with the middle name [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] I like [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] the best.

[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] ([name_u]Cass[/name_u]-ahn-dra not [name_u]Cass[/name_u]-and-ra)- it is something I often suggest, but honestly it is so beautiful, eloquent and powerful that I have no shame in doing so- any little girl would be lucky to bear this name.

I think I understand your desire for a strong, classic name that still maintains a feminine feel. On a side note, if your other daughter goes by a nickname often, you may want to consider another name that has nickname potential as well.

Some thoughts on your list first.
[name_f]Athena[/name_f] - I can’t explain why, but this name surpasses being “strong” for me and comes across as almost hostile. I know she was the goddess of many things, but war always comes to mind first, hence my association with it.
[name_f]Adele[/name_f] - a lovely name! But it doesn’t strike me as strong.
Elliotte - For me, this name is too masculine, it loses it’s femininity. I think you can find a better fit that is strong but soft too.
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - This fits your criteria perfectly. She’s strong, polished, and yet girlie too. It also lends itself nicely to many nickname options: [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f].
[name_f]Annie[/name_f] - This is nice, but feels very young to me. I think it could be the “ie” ending. [name_f]Anne[/name_f] sounds stronger and more grown up me and you could call her [name_f]Annie[/name_f] when she’s little as a nickname.
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] - One of my all time favorites. This is beautiful and charming and brings to mind strength in a more subtle sense. The only downside a lack of a nickname.
[name_f]Isobelle[/name_f] - I prefer the [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] spelling personally. This is a strong name because of the associations it has with a historical Spanish queen. It is also still very feminine to me.
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - I also love this name but to me it is flowery and almost whimsical, not strong.
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] - Same as above. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it, but it doesn’t fit what you’re looking for.
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] - Not feeling this as a fit for your criteria either.
So to summarize, my favorite from your list are: [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Anne[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f].

Here are some other names I think might work for you. They are all classic, all strong (either in sound or in meaning) and have nickname options to match your other daughter.
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] - Means noble, she was a [name_m]German[/name_m] queen. Nicknames: [name_f]Addie[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f], Dela, [name_f]Laidey[/name_f].
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u] - Means healthy and can also be a boys name which both imply strength. Nicknames: Lo, [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Lise[/name_f].
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] - Has a strong feeling to me. Nicknames: [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_f]Vangie[/name_f], [name_u]Angie[/name_u], [name_u]Angel[/name_u], [name_f]Gigi[/name_f], [name_f]Lina[/name_f].
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] - It’s strong and feminine at the same time. Nicknames: [name_u]Gene[/name_u], [name_f]Genie[/name_f], [name_f]Neve[/name_f], [name_f]Vivi[/name_f], [name_f]Gigi[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f].
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] - Reminds me of [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_u]March[/name_u] from [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women, all girl power. Nicknames: [name_u]Jo[/name_u], [name_u]Joey[/name_u], [name_u]Josie[/name_u].
[name_f]Valentina[/name_f] - Means strength. Nicknames: [name_u]Val[/name_u], [name_u]Vale[/name_u], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Tina[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] from your list. They’re so pretty. :slight_smile:

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u] those names. Especially [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. I would consider using a longer name for [name_f]Annie[/name_f] though, it can sound very childish.

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u] those names. Especially [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. I would consider using a full name for [name_f]Annie[/name_f] though, as it can sound too childish.

[name_f]Delilah[/name_f] : To be honest, I don’t like this name, but I have to admit that it’s sound is sweet and melodic. If you like it, why don’t you consider using it in the first spot? [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] sounds strong to me.
[name_f]Athena[/name_f] : It is one of my favourite names but if you choose to use [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] in the middle, I don’t think it could work. They both have the same number of syllables, they are both stressed on the second syllable and end in an -a sound. [name_f]Athena[/name_f] could work both with one syllable middle names and with two syllable names with the stress on the final syllable. My favourite is [name_f]Athena[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f], it sounds strong and intellect at the same time.
[name_f]Adele[/name_f] : It sounds very melodic to me, I would not consider it as a “strong” name, but I really love it. It can’t work with [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] as a middle name (due to the repeating del sound). [name_f]Adele[/name_f] could easilly be a middle name (I love two syllable middle names with the stress on the final syllable).
Elliotte : I prefer [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], mostly for boys but also as a middle name. Why don’t you consider [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] in the middle name spot, in order to use your favorite name? [name_f]Athena[/name_f] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] sounds good to me, strong and romantic, but I would prefer a shorter first name, such as [name_f]Anna[/name_f], but I think that [name_f]Christina[/name_f] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] could also work.
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] : It is a variation of my name, but I’ll try not to be subjective. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] sounds strong and classic and offers many nickname options. I think it could work better with one syllable middle names, such as [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. I prefer [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f], maybe because I’m not a fan of [name_f]Grace[/name_f].
[name_f]Annie[/name_f] : It is cute, feminine and lovely but definitely not a strong name. [name_f]Annie[/name_f] could be a nickname option of names like [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], [name_f]Johanna[/name_f], [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] or everything that contains the -ann- sound. I prefer [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] because it sounds stronger than the other names I can think of right now.
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] : I quite dislike this name, but I’ll try to be objective. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] sounds good with [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], both as a first and as a middle name. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] and [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] sound lovely, but I prefer shorter names in the middle spot (growing up as [name_f]Rea[/name_f] [name_f]Eleonora[/name_f], the only think i would like to change in my name is the order), so [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] sounds good to me, quite strong and feminine at the same time. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] could also be a middle name option, you can never go wrong with it!
[name_f]Isobelle[/name_f] : It seems odd to me, I prefer [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]. If it is pronounced like [name_f]Isobel[/name_f], it could work with the same middle names as [name_f]Athena[/name_f], if like [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], I think it is preferable to use it in the middle spot, just like [name_f]Adele[/name_f].
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] : I can’t understand the popularity of this name, maybe because I just can’t find anything I like in it. However, [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is classic but it seems modern. I have never met a [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] but I don’t live in the US, so I don’t know what happens there, but on Nameberry many parents consider this name for their children. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] works with one syllable middle names, at least for me.
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] : Not one of my favourites but I can picture all types of girls bearing it. It is a regal name with many nickname options, from the vintage [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] to the modern [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]. You could also borrow nicknames from other feminine forms of [name_m]Charles[/name_m], [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] and [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] for example lead to [name_f]Lina[/name_f], [name_f]Carrie[/name_f], [name_f]Carol[/name_f], [name_f]Ina[/name_f] or [name_f]Carly[/name_f]. I think that [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] sounds nice (I pronounce [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] with the stress on the first syllable)
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] : I like [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] and it sounds strong even if it is a plant name. [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] doesn’t sound good, though. I fell in love with the name [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] but both [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] and [name_f]Laura[/name_f] don’t sound strong to me. Both are classic names but not strong. [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] and [name_f]Laura[/name_f] are plant names but your husband doesn’t like flowery names, so I guess he doesn’t like plant names either.

From your list I prefer [name_f]Athena[/name_f] with mn [name_f]Marie[/name_f], so [name_f]Athena[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f] is my suggestion. If you would like to use [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is my favourite, but also [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] if you chose to use [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] in the first name spot. [name_f]Christina[/name_f] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is my suggestion if you prefer to use a variation of your favourite name.

I would like to suggest you some names, but the only strong sounding names I can think of right now are [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]. Both could worh with [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] as a middle name, but [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] sounds very strong and has also a great meaning (beautiful and intellect).

Some names that mean strong
[name_u]Andrea[/name_u] - Similar [name_f]Adriana[/name_f]/[name_f]Adrienne[/name_f] etc. sound also strong, but [name_u]Andrea[/name_u] means strong. In my country, [name_u]Andrea[/name_u] is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, I don’t know how would it be pronounced in an English-speaking country
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] - noble strength
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f] - strength
Bernandine - brave
[name_f]Elfreda[/name_f] - power
[name_f]Erica[/name_f] - ruler
[name_f]Gabriella[/name_f] - God is my strength
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] - warrior
[name_f]Marcella[/name_f] or [name_f]Marcia[/name_f] or [name_f]Martina[/name_f] - warlike
[name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] - battle maid ([name_f]Hilda[/name_f] means battle)
[name_f]Melda[/name_f] - I read that this name is Turkish and it means fight but I don’t know for sure
[name_f]Odile[/name_f] - prosperous in battle
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] - victory

Of course, you can use some variations of these names if you like.

Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m],
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f]

[name_f]Bridget[/name_f], [name_f]Lenore[/name_f], [name_f]Georgina[/name_f], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]…

I like:

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]

I have to suggest [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]. I think it’s strong but feminine, and has great nn possibilities to match her sis.

What about [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] Lulabelle ([name_f]Livie[/name_f] [name_f]Lu[/name_f]) & [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] ([name_f]Addie[/name_f] [name_u]Dell[/name_u] or Lady [name_u]Dell[/name_u])! So cute!

I think [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] are a pretty sibset. My favourite would be [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], though.

[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Isobelle[/name_f] ([name_f]Edith[/name_f] means ‘prosperous in war’, and [name_f]Edie[/name_f] is such a cute nn!)
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_u]Joan[/name_u]
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]

[name_f]Gracie[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_u]Francis[/name_u] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_u]Dana[/name_u] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] (if you don’t mind alliteration)