Strong names for a girl?

When thinking about the image I want my (potential) daughter”s name to convey, I find myself using words like ”strong,” ”competent,” and ”intelligent.” Perhaps it”s because my name has always seemed fairly trendy and unserious to me ([name]Kimberly[/name]). Anyway, names that I feel fit a ”strong” image are [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] (all names my husband has vetoed). I like [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Catherine[/name] but feel they”re a bit overdone. I don”t like androgynous names because I feel they convey the wrong message that male = strong.

I was curious if anyone had any insights or suggestions for me?

I too find myself going in that direction, though a lot of the names I adore have once been predominately male names. Like my dd [name]Jocelyn[/name] (:

Sometimes I’ve found names to be strong simply by the people who ‘made’ the name such as [name]Audrey[/name] or [name]Jacqueline[/name], kwim. So, my choices may not seem as strong to you as they’ve been presented to me…

[name]Shannon[/name]
[name]Mira[/name]
[name]Bronwyn[/name]
[name]Branwen[/name]
[name]Cadence[/name]
[name]Livia[/name]
[name]Jolie[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Gwynn[/name]
Mialoa
[name]Clare[/name]
[name]Sonja[/name]
[name]Sidonie[/name]
[name]Sine[/name] (she-nah but she pron. it See-nah)
[name]Theresa[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Fione[/name]
[name]Mercy[/name]
[name]Lana[/name]
[name]Lara[/name]
[name]Lauren[/name]
[name]Uma[/name] (my aunt not the actress… even though I do adore the actress, lol)
Serefina (a distant cousin, she’s a hag, lol but I love the name LOL)
[name]Eloise[/name] (love the nn [name]El[/name]/[name]Elle[/name] or Elo)

That’s my little list… My brain is still full of cobwebs this morning, but hth a bit (: I’ll more than likely chime in later when I wake up, lol

BTW ~ know how you feel… my name’s [name]Jasmine[/name]. Nice enough, but ditto how you describe your name

I know what you mean. I use the same words when I talk about the girls names I love. My daughter has a classic femininsed boys name, [name]Josephine[/name]. Honors her Great Gagi and one of her Great Aunts. I find a lot of those feminised boys names don’t look very masculine at all: [name]Cecily[/name]/[name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Laura[/name], [name]Antoinette[/name], [name]Cosima[/name], [name]Felicia[/name], [name]Isidora[/name], [name]Jane[/name] & [name]Lucy[/name] for example.
I would suggest looking through [name]History[/name] for some that may appeal to you. [name]Lucretia[/name] (for Mott) is one of my very favorites. Some other random choices:
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Florence[/name] (nn [name]Flora[/name], perhaps?)
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]

I hope that helps!

The fog lifted and one more came to me, lol … [name]Adrianne[/name] / [name]Adrienne[/name]

I agree that many of the girls’ names listed above are very strong. [name]How[/name] about [name]Maude[/name], [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Lena[/name], [name]Jane[/name], [name]Celeste[/name], [name]Honor[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Marin[/name], [name]Carmen[/name], [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Rory[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Flora[/name], and [name]Georgia[/name]? [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Ruby[/name] is a strong girl’s name? It ends in a “y”-kind of a dainty sound there at the end. But there’s something strong and spirited about it. The thought of the ruby is a bright color and very strong. I love strong names but I also love soft names like [name]Lucy[/name]. Is [name]Alice[/name] strong?

I think this is the sweet spot that a lot of people try to hit. A pregnant friend of mine is naming her daughter [name]Karson[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] to try and hit it but I am like you - strong and competent shouldn’t have to be a boy’s name. I just read the name of the day - [name]Elodie[/name] - over on appellationmountain. I think that name fits. I really like the other’s suggestions of [name]Honor[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Mercy[/name], [name]Theresa[/name], and your [name]Catherine[/name]. And yeah, I think that both [name]Ruby[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] definently hit that spot too. What about [name]Kirsten[/name], [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Jane[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Helen[/name], or [name]Claire[/name]? (sorry if there are repeats, I tried to check). I think this is a cool topic.

Thanks for your suggestions! Isn”t it interesting how names come to have certain traits for us based on our experiences with them? Here are some I especially like. Can I get your impressions of the names?

[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]

If we have a boy, we”ve picked out the name [name]Henry[/name]. Other names on our boys list are [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Simon[/name], and [name]Lewis[/name].