Strong 'R' Names

I have always found that the letter R lends a certain rugged strength to boys’ names. My trouble is finding one I love more than the rest! If you would be so kind, help me to trim down my list by picking the best from either category, crowning your favorite, and telling me why you love it.

(Those in bold I cannot use because of conflicts in my list. I am not expecting)

The almost R’s:
[name_u]Ari[/name_u]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Arturo[/name_m]

Aragorn
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_m]Armand[/name_m]
[name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_m]Horatio[/name_m]
[name_m]Gennaro[/name_m]
EDIT: I forgot [name_m]Eero[/name_m]!

The R’s:
[name_m]Ragnar[/name_m]
[name_u]Ren[/name_u]é
Rockford
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Rooney[/name_m]
[name_m]Reuel[/name_m]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m]
[name_u]Rex[/name_u]
EDIT #2: and [name_m]Roland[/name_m]!

Feel free to add suggestions! Thank-you for your help.

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] - I like how [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] is strong, familiar and rugged, but it’s also still full of myth and adventure, plus [name_u]Ari[/name_u] could be a nickname for it
[name_u]Orion[/name_u] - love the starry vibe of this name and how it feels a bit like the familiar [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] but more special and more interesting
[name_m]Horatio[/name_m] - one of my favourites - love the way it rolls off the tongue. It reminds me of literature and I love the sound

[name_u]Rory[/name_u] - one of my all time favourites - love how rugged yet absolutely adorable it sounds + those r sounds are fun to say

You chose some of my absolute faves! Thanks for the input… [name_u]Orion[/name_u] is edging up the list.

The almost R’s:
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]

The R’s:
[name_u]Rex[/name_u]

Personally I like [name_m]Orson[/name_m] better than [name_u]Rex[/name_u] but I think [name_u]Rex[/name_u] might fit you a little better. Frankly, either one would be good.

I love [name_u]Rex[/name_u] and [name_u]Rene[/name_u]! I also like the feel of [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], but I find it stuffy for a first name.

The almost Rs:
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Ari[b][b]
Orion[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[i]The Rs[FONT=Book Antiqua]:

[b][b]Rory

[/b][/b][/i][/b][/b]More:

[name_u]Rhys[/name_u][/FONT][name_m]Ravi[/name_m]
[name_m]Rigby[/name_m]
[name_m]Ramsey[/name_m]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_m]Rurik[/name_m]
[name_m]Rune[/name_m]
[name_u]River[/name_u]

@shanade213 - I’m happy to see [name_m]Orson[/name_m] get some love! I think you’re right about [name_u]Rex[/name_u] being more in line with my style, but that’s not too much of a concern to me. Thanks!

@aliciamae - I didn’t expect [name_u]Rex[/name_u] to be so popular! I’m overjoyed to see that you like [name_u]Ren[/name_u]é, as so far I’ve only received negative feedback on it. I feel the same way about [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], whereas I find [name_m]Arturo[/name_m] dashing. Thank-you!

@autumnreverie - [name_u]Orion[/name_u] just keeps climbing, as does [name_u]Rory[/name_u]! I’m frankly surprised. Thank-you, I love the suggestions of [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] and [name_m]Ravi[/name_m].

I love [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] best of all the names. Strong & classic- due for a comeback! From the other list, I’d choose [name_u]Rory[/name_u], but I don’t like it nearly as much as [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]

My friend has a baby whose middle is Riggins. I think it’s darling, but maybe not your style!

I like a lot of these for different reasons, I can’t pick a best one! Here are my thoughts on my favorites:

The almost R’s:
[name_u]Ari[/name_u] - I love the simple, friendly vibe of this name. It sounds so approachable yet solid.

Aragorn - I love this as a middle name possibility. I know it wouldn’t be most people’s cup of tea but I’m a LOTR fan and the middle spot is a great place to honor something important to you/your family. I secretly love [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] as a middle name too :).

[name_u]Orion[/name_u] - I love this name for the constellation and connection to mythology, although I do feel a little weird about the specifics of the mythology story about [name_u]Orion[/name_u]. It’s a beautiful name regardless though.

[name_m]Eero[/name_m] - Beautiful and under appreciated! I personally prefer the Ero spelling (which I think is less legitimate but I just like it better aesthetically. I’d pronounce both of these like “arrow”). I love the [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] sound without the weapon connotation. I also like Ero in particular because it reminds me of the Greek word eros.

The R’s:
[name_u]Ren[/name_u]é - I love this for a boy, as it recalls [name_m]Descartes[/name_m] for me. It may be a little challenging for a non [name_m]French[/name_m] boy to wear outside of [name_f]France[/name_f], though.

[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] - I have nothing but good associations with this name. So charming!

Anyway, I’d like to suggest [name_m]Ross[/name_m]. I know there’s the Friends association for a lot of people but I have a [name_m]Ross[/name_m] in my family and that honestly never comes up. I think it’s a good, strong, decisive name.

My top picks are [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Orson[/name_m], [name_m]Rufus[/name_m], [name_u]Remy[/name_u] and [name_u]Rex[/name_u].

Ultimate favourite of your list: [name_u]Rex[/name_u], closely followed by [name_m]Rufus[/name_m].

I love R names! My personal favourites are [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] and [name_f]Rafa[/name_f], and I also love [name_u]Rue[/name_u].

@babymakesthree - I am terribly fond of [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] as well; I must nudge it up my list a bit. Thanks for the suggestion of Riggins! It reminds me of Riggs, a name I have always liked.

@silversky109 - One for Aragorn! In all honesty, my quest for a strong R name began with Aragorn. Your other picks are at the top of my list too. I actually love the double e spelling of [name_m]Eero[/name_m], but I’m glad to learn that you prefer Ero. And I appreciate the suggestion of [name_m]Ross[/name_m]! It’s the surname of some dear friends that I wouldn’t mind honoring. Thanks!

@katinka - Another for [name_u]Rex[/name_u]! For some reason I thought it would be the least favorite. I’m glad to see more love for [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Orson[/name_m] as well. I love [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] save for the rhyming possibilities, and [name_u]Rue[/name_u] is an all-time fave. Matter of fact, I’ll most likely use it as the nickname for whichever R name wins. Thank-you!

I’ll add some R suggestions:

[name_m]Roger[/name_m]
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_m]Reginald[/name_m]
[name_m]Roderick[/name_m]
[name_u]Remington[/name_u]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Roberto[/name_m]/[name_m]Robert[/name_m]

More contemporary R names

[name_u]Ryan[/name_u]
[name_m]Ryder[/name_m]
[name_u]Rylan[/name_u]
[name_u]Romy[/name_u]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Orson[/name_m], it just seems like a lot of fun, and [name_m]Horatio[/name_m], which is just so handsome [name_f]IMO[/name_f], from the ‘almost R’s’ and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and [name_m]Rufus[/name_m] are both on my favourites list.

Second the [name_m]Roger[/name_m], [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] and [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] suggestions. A recent find is [name_m]Rhisiart[/name_m]. I couldn’t tell you what it is I love about it but I just find it so charming!

I love [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] because I find it so enchanting and mystical, whilst still being totally wearable. [name_m]Horatio[/name_m] I also find really fun to say!

[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] is also a favourite because to me it’s cuddly yet refined, and it lends nicely to the nickname [name_u]Rue[/name_u]. Also I’m glad to see some appreciation for [name_m]Reuel[/name_m]! I love its less-expected link to Tolkien.

[name_f]May[/name_f] I also suggest:
[name_u]Ira[/name_u]
[name_m]Aurelian[/name_m]
[name_m]Art[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
Fenrir
[name_m]Cornelius[/name_m]

[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_u]Ridley[/name_u]
[name_m]Rune[/name_m]
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Redmund[/name_m]
[name_u]Roscoe[/name_u]
[name_m]Rembrandt[/name_m]

My favorites are [name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Orson[/name_m], [name_u]Remy[/name_u], and [name_m]Roland[/name_m].

I’d also like to suggest [name_u]Rigel[/name_u] and [name_u]Robin[/name_u].

One suggestion: Rowcliffe

My absolute favorite boy name is [name_u]Reeve[/name_u].

I also like [name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_u]Rhys[/name_u], and [name_m]Rhett[/name_m].

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Arturo[/name_m] (I love this, though I wouldn’t personally use it)
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]

[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]

Ditto the suggestions of [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] & [name_m]Ross[/name_m]. I also find [name_m]Rhisiart[/name_m] appealing.

I like [name_u]Orion[/name_u].