Struggling to commit, can you help me resolve this name dilemma??

[name]Hi[/name] Nameberries,

I first wrote 4mths ago and belatedly thank you all for your responses and assistance back then. I had imagined replying earlier to confirm the outcome of our name decision and to send my thanks then. However, I haven’t been able to settle.

Our son is now approaching 6mths of age. He is the 4th child, 3rd son. His siblings are [name]Ella[/name], [name]Isaac[/name] and [name]Henry[/name]. It was resounding in the last post that [name]Samuel[/name] would be a good choice with his sibset. We were considering [name]Clancy[/name] as another option at that stage. [name]Clancy[/name] is out, but everyday I keep looking at Nameberry wondering if there is a better choice. I relate to previous forums regarding BNDD ([name]Baby[/name] Name Desensitisation Disorder) and really struggle to love any boy names.

I introduce him to the world as [name]Samuel[/name] (and will push for this over [name]Sam[/name] or [name]Sammy[/name]), but I otherwise don’t use the name and call him Bubzy or Bubz.

I think [name]Samuel[/name] fits, I like the way it looks. But I find it a little boring/overused. But maybe that trend had been set with our other names which are clearly top 100. Not exactly sure what is the magic or x-factor I’m seeking. Names I like include [name]Felix[/name] and [name]Arlo[/name], for example. My husband is really happy with popular and common, so vetoes most names, [name]Samuel[/name] has been the one name we both like enough (he actually quite likes, and in fact thinks we were quite out there in choosing [name]Isaac[/name]…).

When looking for names prior to birth, I was quite concerned about sibset themes and felt that a name more like [name]Isaac[/name] would help keep [name]Isaac[/name]'s name in the sibset (I think [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] are more flexible in this regard). We are not religious but I like many biblical names, so [name]Samuel[/name] fit the bill in this regard. Now I wonder if sibset themes are so important, as they eventually all stand alone.

So [name]Ella[/name] [name]Frances[/name], [name]Isaac[/name] [name]Alfred[/name], [name]Henry[/name] [name]Lambert[/name] and [name]Samuel[/name] Gallant. Is this it? Is it worth pushing for alternatives like [name]Felix[/name] or [name]Arlo[/name] (with Gallant as middle name)?

Thanks for your time,
Regards, [name]Kylie[/name].

I really love your children’s names, including [name]Samuel[/name]. You did a great job naming. I know what you mean about not being totally in love with one of your kids’ names, but really, you love your child, he has a fine name that will serve him well, and your husband is content. I personally wouldn’t rock the boat, unless we had made a serious mistake, and I don’t think the name [name]Samuel[/name] qualifies.

I have one daughter who has a nice name, but I wish I had chosen the other name that we had been considering. It would have fit better with what is now our sib set of 7 kids. Oh well, I am the only one who cares even a smidge! The sun doesn’t rise and fall on whether we chose a name that would be a little MORE perfect than another, kwim?

I actually [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Samuel[/name] Gallant! And yes, [name]Samuel[/name] is growing in popularity but to be fair it’s never really been unpopular.
It’s a good solid name, and I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] the middle name. I’ve been looking for a middle name for [name]Ambrose[/name], and
that is going to be a major contender now!

I don’t use nicknames for my kids, and I prefer them being called by their proper names, so I completely relate to
you on that point!

I named my firstborn son [name]Aidan[/name]. I was 20 at the time. While I love the name still, I hate how it spawned all those
rhyming trendy names. That being said, I still don’t regret naming him [name]Aidan[/name], because I went with the name I loved.
That is my advice to you. Go with what you love.

I think [name]Samuel[/name] is a perfect addition.

I think you are getting hung up on little details. Call him Bubz or Bubzy! He’s still quite small. Give him time to become a [name]Samuel[/name]/[name]Sam[/name]. You already made the decision (a very solid, respectable, adorable name!) & now you just have to work on figuring out how to feel good about your choice. I have a baby nephew who is named [name]Alasdair[/name] (he’s about the same age as Bubz) & my sister doesn’t want me calling him “[name]Al[/name]” so I call him [name]Buster[/name], [name]Buddy[/name], or [name]Baby[/name] Boy. I figure we’ll handle the nickname issue when he’s old enough to let me know what he likes to be called. That’s what happened with my cousin [name]Elizabeth[/name]! Her parents insisted that everyone call her [name]Elizabeth[/name]; no [name]Lizzy[/name], no [name]Liza[/name], no [name]Beth[/name], no [name]Ella[/name], no [name]Eliza[/name]… [name]ELIZABETH[/name], thank you. Guess what happened when she started talking? She refered to herself EXCLUSIVELY in the third person as Ebie (said like E.B.): “Ebie likes to dance!”, “Ebie wants a snack!”, “Ebie loves grandma!”. She’s in highschool now & everyone still calls her Ebie. People often compliment her for her classic name & offbeat nickname. Once you give your baby a name you sort of give it away to them to make it into what they will. My name is [name]Eleanor[/name] & it took me a long time to grow into it and appreciate it but I have come full circle & frequently suggest the name to other Berries and encourage it’s use as a beautiful, historical, classic, intelligent, elegant, & versitile name. I have even come to the conclusion that I would use it on a daughter of my own if it was right. 8 year old me would punch 28 year old me in the face for saying that but I figured out that the 8 year old had it all wrong. People’s feelings change because the world constantly changes. Once [name]Samuel[/name] Gallant starts walking & talking he might be able to redefine his name for you. Have you researched historical figures named [name]Samuel[/name]? Finding other [name]Eleanor[/name]'s I could be proud of and brag about made my name seem cooler, or better for me. It broadened my view of what “an [name]Eleanor[/name]” could be. I even found out that there is a really awesome car named [name]Eleanor[/name] (Eleanor (automobile) - Wikipedia) & maybe you can find a [name]Sam[/name] or a [name]Samuel[/name] that changes the way you think about the name —> Samuel (name) - Wikipedia. Good luck with everything, I hope you can resolve this issue soon so it doesn’t keep weighing on your mind.
-ellieberry
P.S. I love all your children’s names; together & separate! You did wonderfully with their name combos & I think all of them are well named to stand alone someday.

Thank you so much for the support and taking time to respond.
Time for me to let things be.
But rather than feeling bad about using Bubzy or Bubz, I think I can feel okay about using Bubzy, Bubz and [name]Samuel[/name] as they are all part of his story now anyway.
Thanks,
[name]Kylie[/name]

I’m glad you seem to be finding some peace in the situation! I wanted to respond earlier but I wasn’t sure how to encourage you… but [name]Samuel[/name] really is a handsome, perfect name and it sounds like it suits your son perfectly. I, too, wanted to compliment you on your style–[name]Ella[/name], [name]Isaac[/name], [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Samuel[/name] are completely wonderful and work so well together. Enjoy your family, and here’s to hoping you can be completely at peace with little [name]Samuel[/name]'s name!

All the best,
[name]Ashley[/name]