Struggling with girl names...

Our baby is due in 7 weeks, and we don’t know if it’s a boy or girl. We have a name picked out if it’s a boy, but are still deciding on a girl’s name. Nothing has jumped out at us as the exact right name. There are a few names were really like, but we have nickname issues:

1. [name]Frankie[/name] - we both love this name, and my husband’s grandfather was [name]Frank[/name] so it has special meaning for us. The problem is that I don’t love the names [name]Francine[/name], [name]Francesca[/name] or [name]Frances[/name], and [name]Frankie[/name] feels like a nickname. Any other ideas for full names? Can [name]Frankie[/name] stand alone as a name?
  2. [name]Callie[/name] - This is another name we both like. We are considering it as a nickname for something longer, but aren’t crazy about [name]Calliope[/name]. Other ideas on this one?
  3. [name]Imogene[/name] - Opposite problem with this one. We like the full name, but I’m not sure what we’d use as a nickname. Maybe it just doesn’t need one?
    Other names under consideration: [name]Sylvie[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name] and [name]Miranda[/name]. We like [name]Raine[/name] (a family name) as a middle name if it fits with whatever first name we choose. [name]Raine[/name] could also be a first name, I guess…

I’d like a name that can be both feminine and spunky, which is probably why I am always looking for a name that has a nickname.
Thanks for any help you can give me!

[name]Frankie[/name] as a nn for [name]Francesca[/name] is cute but I see you are not keen. [name]How[/name] about the name [name]France[/name] ?
[name]Imogene[/name] - very pretty. would [name]Jean[/name] or [name]Jeannie[/name] work as a nn for you?
[name]Sylvie[/name]: lovely
[name]Penelope[/name]: pretty and classic
[name]Georgiana[/name]: love this name. my favorite from your list.

good luck! (:

[quote=“rocketpop”]Our baby is due in 7 weeks, and we don’t know if it’s a boy or girl. We have a name picked out if it’s a boy, but are still deciding on a girl’s name. Nothing has jumped out at us as the exact right name. There are a few names were really like, but we have nickname issues:

1. [name]Frankie[/name] - we both love this name, and my husband’s grandfather was [name]Frank[/name] so it has special meaning for us. The problem is that I don’t love the names [name]Francine[/name], [name]Francesca[/name] or [name]Frances[/name], and [name]Frankie[/name] feels like a nickname. Any other ideas for full names? Can [name]Frankie[/name] stand alone as a name?

Would [name]Franklin[/name] be an alternative? It is unisex and she could choose [name]Frankie[/name] or [name]Lin[/name] as her nn.

1. [name]Callie[/name] - This is another name we both like.

If you like [name]Callie[/name] then you must name her [name]Caroline[/name].

1. [name]Imogene[/name] - Opposite problem with this one. We like the full name, but I’m not sure what we’d use as a nickname. Maybe it just doesn’t need one?

My daughter was going to name her daughter [name]Imogen[/name] the last sound is the same as [name]Jennifer[/name] not [name]Jean[/name]. She thought the nn of [name]Immy[/name] would work well.

Other names under consideration: [name]Sylvie[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name] and [name]Miranda[/name]. We like [name]Raine[/name] (a family name) as a middle name if it fits with whatever first name we choose. [name]Raine[/name] could also be a first name, I guess…

Of the names above [name]Miranda[/name] stands OUT, it is a beautiful name and the combo of [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Raine[/name] is gorgeous.

More

[name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Kate[/name], Feminine and spunky all in one package!
[name]Francesca[/name] [name]Raine[/name], I love the frilliness of [name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name], just love [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Magnolia[/name] is magnificent
I dislike [name]Penelope[/name] but [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Penny[/name] would be pretty.

[name]Frankie[/name] - personally, I do not think that it could stand alone. If I think of an alternative full name, I will post again.

[name]Callie[/name] - there are so many [name]Cal[/name]- names! I love [name]Rollo[/name]'s suggestion of [name]Caroline[/name], and also my sister’s middle is [name]Calanthe[/name] (ca-LAN-thee). There is also [name]Callista[/name], [name]Callisto[/name], Calanthia, [name]Calypso[/name], [name]Calla[/name] (a type of lily) and Calogera.

[name]Imogene[/name] - if you really love it, and are happy to say it over and over again, then I don’t think it needs a nickname. I have known Imogens (without the final E) go by [name]Imo[/name], Immie, and their full name. I suppose you could use [name]Gene[/name] or [name]Genie[/name], too. Personally, this is my least favourite of your names.

I love [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name], and like [name]Georgiana[/name] and [name]Miranda[/name]. The nns [name]Georgie[/name] and [name]Andie[/name], for [name]Georgiana[/name] and [name]Miranda[/name], seem to have everything that you are looking for, too.

Good luck!

[name]Frankie[/name]: I would definitely not use [name]Frankie[/name] as a full name. Besides being a nickname, and not formal at all, a [name]Frankie[/name] with no full name is likely to be confused for a boy. I love [name]Frances[/name] and [name]Francesca[/name], though!

[name]Callie[/name]: I wouldn’t use this as a full name, either. What about [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Calista[/name], [name]Calanthe[/name], or even [name]Camille[/name]?

[name]Imogene[/name]: I’ve never been a fan of [name]Imogene[/name] or [name]Imogen[/name]… what about [name]Jeannie[/name] as a nickname?

[name]Sylvie[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name]! It’s a lovely name.

[name]Miranda[/name]: I love [name]Miranda[/name] too! Lots of cute nicknames-- [name]Mira[/name], [name]Miri[/name], [name]Mimi[/name], [name]Randy[/name], [name]Andie[/name], [name]Annie[/name]…

[name]Penelope[/name]: It’s never been one of my favorites, but it’s a nice name. Nicknames could be [name]Penny[/name], [name]Pen[/name], [name]Nell[/name], [name]Nellie[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Pippa[/name]…

[name]Georgiana[/name]: Ditto [name]Penelope[/name]… Nicknames could be [name]Georgie[/name], [name]Jo[/name], [name]Joey[/name], [name]Ana[/name], [name]Giana[/name], [name]Gia[/name]…

I like the last four names you’re considering a lot better than [name]Frankie[/name], [name]Callie[/name], and [name]Imogene[/name]. [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Miranda[/name] are lovely!!

[name]Frankie[/name] - I think it is quite nicknamey and would work better as a shortened version of something longer.

[name]Callie[/name] - Callandra is all I can think of that hasn’t been said already.

[name]Imogene[/name] - Depending if you pronounce is imo-jeen or imo-jen you could use [name]Jen[/name], [name]Jenny[/name], [name]Jenna[/name] or [name]Genie[/name]

These are brilliant ideas! Thank you so much. Right now I’m really excited about the idea of using [name]Andie[/name] as a nickname for [name]Miranda[/name]. My husband liked it, too. It’s interesting to see everyone’s affection for different names on the list. I’m excited some people like [name]Sylvie[/name]. We really loved it, and then my mom made a sour face when I told her about it. I just have to remember that not everyone will love the name we choose, and that’s OK.

[name]Franca[/name] for [name]Frankie[/name]?

[name]Frankie[/name] or [name]Frankee[/name] is ADORABLE as a given name, but I have to say it’s probably “better” to give a proper first name. My suggestion is [name]Frances[/name].

I have a soft spot for [name]Frances[/name] (Dirty Dancing, perhaps?), but on your list I also like [name]Miranda[/name] and [name]Georgiana[/name]. Out of the three, I’d go with [name]Miranda[/name] (however with the middle I prefer the other two). It’s a beautiful name.

[quote=“rocketpop”]Our baby is due in 7 weeks, and we don’t know if it’s a boy or girl. We have a name picked out if it’s a boy, but are still deciding on a girl’s name. Nothing has jumped out at us as the exact right name. There are a few names were really like, but we have nickname issues:

1. [name]Callie[/name] - This is another name we both like. We are considering it as a nickname for something longer, but aren’t crazy about [name]Calliope[/name]. Other ideas on this one?

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Calla[/name], and I think [name]Callie[/name] would be a good nickname for that.

1. [name]Imogene[/name] - Opposite problem with this one. We like the full name, but I’m not sure what we’d use as a nickname. Maybe it just doesn’t need one?

I personally am not too crazy about nick names, so I like names like [name]Imogene[/name] w/o nicknames.

I love [name]Georgiana[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Georgina[/name], all those types of names, and I think [name]Georgie[/name] is an adorable, spunky nickname for a little girl!

Of your list, I love [name]Georgiana[/name]- [name]Georgie[/name] is such a cute nickname and its at once both vintage, not very common and spunky in nickname form.

Instead of [name]Miranda[/name], which reminds me of the drink, how about Merinda? A friend picked this name out for her daughter from her Acadian family tree dating back to the 1800’s. It is of aboriginal descent and means “beautiful woman”. Her middle name is [name]Mae[/name] and they call her [name]Merry[/name] [name]Mae[/name] for short and sometimes just [name]Min[/name].

adorable names! one of my friends named her baby girl caliana joy and everyone calls her cali. :slight_smile:

All your names are great i like [name]RAINE[/name] as a first name and sylvie but really all the names are great!

1. [name]Frankie[/name] - [name]Francine[/name], [name]Frances[/name]- but I would save [name]Frankie[/name] for a little boy, if you don’t have one, don’t force the name on a little girl, please.
  2. [name]Callie[/name] - Callalily, Calleen, Callette, [name]Collette[/name], [name]California[/name], [name]Colleen[/name]
  3. [name]Imogene[/name] - [name]Genie[/name], Im (prn [name]Em[/name]) [name]Emme[/name], [name]Imo[/name] (prn, [name]Em[/name]-mo) [name]Gen[/name], [name]Nina[/name]
    [name]Sylvie[/name]- I like [name]Sylvia[/name] with nn [name]Sylvie[/name]!
    [name]Penelope[/name]- I love [name]Penelope[/name]!
    [name]Georgiana[/name]- I love this name!
    [name]Miranda[/name]- I love this name!
    [name]Raine[/name]- I concur, very cool middle name.

I am loving [name]Imogene[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name], [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Miranda[/name] all are great with [name]Raine[/name] as mn!

Other stellar combos-

[name]Miranda[/name] [name]Imogene[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]

If I chose your daughters name, it would be [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Raine[/name]! I just love that. NN’s- [name]Miri[/name], [name]Mandy[/name], [name]Randa[/name], [name]Andy[/name], [name]Mira[/name].

[name]Just[/name] adore [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Raine[/name]!