Stuck on great girl name, but just discovered it's a boy!

My husband and I are expecting our first child in [name]July[/name]. His fatherly intuition had him convinced we were having a girl. We decided on the name [name]Dorothy[/name] and had nicknamed our little fetus [name]Dot[/name] the past few months. We also threw around plenty of boys names too, but nothing charmed us the way [name]Dot[/name] did. This [name]Tuesday[/name] we discovered we’re expecting a boy. Having grown up in a house of girls, I’m excited at the prospect of a boy, but the name issue still lingers and causes huge debates.

Any good name suggestions for turning our little [name]Dot[/name] into a boy? I’m currently very partial to the name [name]Declan[/name] and my husband is open to it too since he’s a big [name]Elvis[/name] Costello fan. We like old man and vintage names and we’re also partial to pretty traditional names. We have three cats named [name]Lloyd[/name], [name]Bernice[/name] and [name]Vera[/name] if that helps :slight_smile:

Besides [name]Declan[/name], names we’ve considered:
[name]Oliver[/name] (he thought it was too popular)
[name]Neil[/name] (he loves [name]Neil[/name] [name]Young[/name], I’m not a fan of the name)
[name]Walter[/name] (like it, but don’t love it)
[name]Wallace[/name]
[name]Calder[/name] (he hates it)
[name]Elliott[/name] (husband thinks it’s very popular?)

Here’s a few that I think would sound wonderful with a future lil sis named [name]Dorothy[/name]:
[name]Abner[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Frank[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Luther[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Clarence[/name]

I love [name]Walter[/name] and [name]Wallace[/name].

A few others to consider…
[name]Archibald[/name]
[name]Edwin[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Harvey[/name]
Stanely

Oh the surprise! Our first was a girl and, like you, we had no problem naming the little princess. Our second is a boy and the naming process was more difficult for sure! Ir took some time. Now, I love thinking about boys names so much! that I why I am still on this message board even when I don’t have a little one to name I guess!

Luckily you have some time, don’t stress about it too much! You need to find some inspiration - movies and books from the era you like may be a great source. A blog on here earlier this week had some good old man names on it. I like old man names too. below are some thoughts:

[name]Frank[/name] - I think this is such a supper cool name! I have yet to meet anyone who agrees with me though.
[name]Felix[/name] - My son is named [name]Felix[/name] and I love love love it - it has the old man vibe going on but it is light and fresh sounding on my blue eyed blondie.
[name]Desmond[/name] - similar to [name]Declan[/name] in sound - awsome nn of [name]Desi[/name]
Oswald - rockin’ nickname of [name]Oz[/name] totally makes this name!!!
[name]Howard[/name] - nn [name]Howie[/name]!!! This name is crusty on the outside and sweet on the inside!
[name]Everett[/name] - less popular alternitive to [name]Elliott[/name]

Good luck! Let us know what you are thinking!
Lynae

I love [name]Declan[/name]! Another thought is [name]Donovan[/name]. WDYT?

[name]Kellen[/name] or [name]Kieran[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Elliott[/name], [name]Walter[/name], and [name]Wallace[/name] are my favorites from your list. Here are more, including some dupes form previous posts:

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Edgar[/name]
[name]Albert[/name] ([name]Bertie[/name]!)
[name]Alfred[/name]
[name]Milton[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Percival[/name]
[name]Norton[/name]
[name]Ira[/name]
[name]Stanley[/name]

[name]Elliot[/name], [name]Walter[/name], and [name]Oliver[/name] are a few of my favs.

[name]Oliver[/name] is popular, but a great name. I prefer [name]Ronan[/name] and [name]Callum[/name] to [name]Declan[/name].

I love [name]Elliot[/name]! What about [name]Henry[/name], [name]Harry[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Albert[/name], [name]Kevin[/name], [name]Patrick[/name], [name]Richard[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Michael[/name], or [name]Caleb[/name]?

My fist thought was [name]Theodore[/name]… has the same sounds as [name]Dorothy[/name] but reversed! nn [name]Theo[/name] or [name]Teddy[/name]!

I like [name]Neil[/name] and [name]Elliot[/name] best from your list. [name]Wallace[/name] is nice too. I would like to repeat the suggestion of [name]Everett[/name]. It’s my son’s name and we get such nice reactions to it. Rett is a great nn, kinda along the same lines at [name]Dot[/name]. We also call him Evers. Good luck and congratulations! Boys are so much fun :slight_smile:

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Dorothy[/name]!!! I’m having the same struggle trying to name our little guy due in [name]April[/name]. [name]Oliver[/name] is on my list too, our other names are [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] and [name]Owen[/name]. [name]One[/name] thing about Theodore is that it may prevent you from using [name]Dorothy[/name] later on if you have a little girl. I always loved the name jack, but when our 1st who we were set to name jack was a girl we ended up naming her [name]Jillian[/name] and here we are trying to name our boy who obviously now can’t be jack. I do love [name]Oliver[/name] though, are you in the US? It’s really not so popular here yet.

Well, my Grandmother’s name is [name]Dorothy[/name]. She raised me and we are considering honoring her by naming our little guy [name]Theodore[/name]. We consider it the masculine version of the same name. I’m not sure which came first, but I believe they both are from the same “family” - as in [name]Dorothea[/name], [name]Theodora[/name], etc. They have the same meaning, and [name]Theodore[/name] just sounds like [name]Dorothy[/name] backwards to me. I love the NN [name]Theo[/name], as well. [name]Just[/name] my take on it. :slight_smile:

Of the names you mentioned above, I prefer [name]Elliot[/name] and that happens to be another strong contender for my little guy. I don’t think it’s too popular, but it’s not too weird, either. I love it. And I do like [name]Oliver[/name], but I’m having the same concerns about its popularity…

Since you were thinking [name]Dorothy[/name] for a girl, how bout translating it to [name]Theodore[/name]? It goes with your “old vintage” style. If not here are some others:

[name]Neil[/name] [name]Young[/name] Related since your husband is a fan:
[name]Percival[/name] (NY’s middle name)
[name]Nash[/name] (NY joined the band [name]Crosby[/name], Stills, and [name]Nash[/name])
[name]Bernard[/name] (his pseudonym’s first name on movies he’s directed/co-directed)
[name]Scott[/name] (his dad’s name)

Others:
[name]Harvey[/name]
[name]August[/name] or [name]Angus[/name] “[name]Gus[/name]”
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Ralph[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name] nn “[name]Frank[/name]” or “[name]Frankie[/name]”
[name]Stuart[/name]
[name]Gordon[/name]
[name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Gilbert[/name]

[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name] (Lochie)
[name]Lando[/name]

Thanks for all the great feedback. All the suggestions were great. I do have an ex-boyfriend name [name]Aurthur[/name] though so I’ve sadly had to throw that one out of the ring. My husband officially through [name]Declan[/name] out the window after reading it had the potential to be the next [name]Aiden[/name]. So we went back to the drawing board big time.

My two favorites right now are [name]Archer[/name], since he can go by [name]Archie[/name], which I love, and [name]August[/name], since I love [name]Gus[/name] and Auggie. My husband is obsessed with [name]Nigel[/name], which I don’t really care for. I’m not sure how he can like [name]Nigel[/name] and dislike [name]Declan[/name]. I think I’m really fixated on vintage names that have great nicknames. [name]Oliver[/name] is still close to my heart since we have a relative named [name]Oliver[/name] that died in the Civil War.

I like [name]Declan[/name], I also like, [name]Donovan[/name], [name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Dean[/name], [name]Dan[/name], and, inexplicably, [name]Demetrius[/name] which I do not expect you to steal off me, lol, but if you do I can absolutely guarantee is NOT the next [name]Aiden[/name]. lol

I do like [name]Archer[/name], [name]August[/name], and to some extent, [name]Arthur[/name].

I think I prefer [name]Neville[/name] to [name]Nigel[/name] and I KNOW I prefer [name]Nicholas[/name] AND [name]Dominic[/name], either one nicknamed [name]Nick[/name], to [name]Nigel[/name].

I like [name]Archer[/name]/[name]Archie[/name]. [name]Gus[/name] is epidemic where I live. I’d probably reccomend [name]August[/name] nn [name]Ace[/name]. [name]Nigel[/name] is handsome. I will also throw out there [name]Barnaby[/name] nn [name]Barnes[/name] and [name]Macaulay[/name] nn [name]Mac[/name].