Stuck on Josephine.....

I am currently kind of obsessing over [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], mostly because I want to use [name_f]Posey[/name_f] as a nickname. What do you think of the name?
What are some options to modernize [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]? (mostly for my husbands sake)…
Also, do you think any [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is going to be called [name_u]Josie[/name_u] anyways? Or is it possible to make [name_f]Posey[/name_f] stick?
Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts!

I really like [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. I think it’s classic and refined.

If you introduce her as “[name_f]Posey[/name_f]” then it should stick. However, there is always the chance when she grows up that she will prefer to go by [name_u]Josie[/name_u], [name_u]Joey[/name_u] or [name_u]Jo[/name_u] instead. And if you absolutely hate those as nicknames…then perhaps its not the best for you.

But as I said, I love [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Posey[/name_f] is a cute nickname.

If you start the nick name I’m sure it will stick…If you want other suggestions:
I just flicked through old threads these stood out:
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] (So play with middle name combos)
As first names: [name_f]Mariposa[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]

I don’t know why you’d want to modernise [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]! It’s so lovely as it is. I also really like ella17’s suggestions for other names that you could get ‘[name_f]Posey[/name_f]’ from.

I love [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]! When you say modernize, do you mean with a modern middle name? I think [name_f]Posey[/name_f] will stick.

Ditto. I love [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] ‘[name_u]Josie[/name_u]’ but Josa (joe-sah) and Josina have been growing on me as nicknames as well.

To get [name_f]Posey[/name_f], I’d go with [name_f]Persephone[/name_f].

She might get teased maybe? I can imagine kids running around saying [name_u]Josie[/name_u] [name_f]Posey[/name_f] [name_u]Josie[/name_u] [name_f]Posey[/name_f] or [name_u]Po[/name_u] [name_u]Po[/name_u] but if you don’t mind that I guess go for it. I like the name [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] but I think the nicknames a [name_u]Jo[/name_u] and [name_u]Joey[/name_u] are the best. [name_u]Josie[/name_u] is so heavy sounding and [name_f]Posey[/name_f] unless you make an effort to call that all the time no one would automatically make it her nickname.

I think [name_f]Posey[/name_f] is a cute nn for [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], which I adore.

I’m not really sure by what you mean by modernizing the name…so, I think I would just pair it with a spunky, non-traditional middle:

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Rumer[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Posy[/name_f]! I prefer the [name_f]Posy[/name_f] spelling to [name_f]Posey[/name_f], but I used to adore [name_f]Posey[/name_f]. [name_f]Posy[/name_f]/[name_f]Posey[/name_f] was the main reason I had been interested in [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], too. :slight_smile: What are we talking here, regarding modernizing it? Like a “unique” spelling? A more modern middle name? I think the more modern [name_f]Posy[/name_f] nicely modernizes [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], but maybe that’s just me. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I adore [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], because it’s my daughter’s name. Her nickname is [name_u]JoJo[/name_u]. There’s a few times that people try to call her something else ([name_u]Jo[/name_u], [name_u]Joey[/name_u], [name_u]Josie[/name_u]), but for the most part it’s not a problem. I think [name_f]Posy[/name_f] or [name_f]Posey[/name_f] is super cute, just doesn’t work for us. Great suggestions, though, of other names to get [name_f]Posy[/name_f] from, especially [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]!

I really like [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. I’m not a fan of the NN posey, it makes me think of the word “poser”, which isn’t a good connotation. But if you like it, then use it.

I personally like the nicknames [name_u]Jo[/name_u], [name_u]Jojo[/name_u], and [name_u]Josie[/name_u] the best.

You can always go with [name_u]JoJo[/name_u]. This is my sister’s name and she gets lots of compliments on it because it fits her spunky personality. I’d go with the suggestion of [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or something like [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] if you really, really want to use [name_f]Posey[/name_f]. Also, does your husband want everyone to call her [name_f]Posey[/name_f] or would this just be his special nickname for her?

Thanks everyone! My husband doesn’t like [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], or any of the other names suggested, but he is ok with [name_f]Posey[/name_f]. I agree that there is a lot of options as she ages as far as nicknames go. I’m gunna keep working on [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and see what happens! thanks :slight_smile:

I adore [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Posey[/name_f]! So lovely! [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t see why [name_f]Posey[/name_f] wouldn’t work as a nickname, if you start out that way. I second the idea of “modernizing” by using a short, sharp and more modern middle name for contrast.

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_u]Bailey[/name_u]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_u]Layne[/name_u]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]

I adore [name_f]Posey[/name_f] but never really could get behind [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. I like [name_f]Josephina[/name_f] better but with nn [name_u]Jo[/name_u] (mostly for the Eureka character - whom I love).
I think if [name_f]Posey[/name_f] is what’s important to you there are other options. I know some where listed above (sorry I didn’t read all responses) some of my favorites are: [name_f]Mariposa[/name_f] & [name_u]Penrose[/name_u].

Did you know that [name_f]Posy[/name_f] (or [name_f]Posey[/name_f]) means = small bundle of flowers while [name_f]Poesy[/name_f] = refers to poetry? So if you like word names [name_f]Poem[/name_f], [name_f]Poet[/name_f], or [name_f]Poetry[/name_f] would all work as well. Or you could choose a flower name and nn your daughter [name_f]Poesy[/name_f].

I do not think that [name_f]Posey[/name_f] will stick. [name_u]Josie[/name_u] is a much better and more appropriate nickname for [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. That being said, I love both [name_u]Josie[/name_u] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]!