Stuck :( Really need your help!

Genius hive mind! I am pregnant with my second child, and it’s a girl! I have a three year-old son, [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]. The plan has always been to name a girl [name_f]Esme[/name_f], after my beloved grandmother [name_f]Esther[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband wants to give her a middle name after his grandmother, [name_u]Marion[/name_u]. Originally, we were going to choose another M name, but it seems [name_u]Marion[/name_u] is the way to go to honor her best, especially since she gets the middle name slot :joy: I don’t love [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] - I love girl names that are feminine and vintage, but I need that “L” sound! I originally suggested [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] or [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Maribel[/name_f], but to be honest, I don’t love either. [name_u]Marion[/name_u] is a little harsh for me. We aren’t 100% committed to [name_f]Esme[/name_f], but it’s the closest name to [name_f]Esther[/name_f] we both like. We can also add in a third name to achieve that feminine L sound I’m looking for. [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Belle[/name_f] came to mind, but I’m not sold. Any suggestions? Either on a different E name or a third name? I love all the [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] names, but they’re too popular where I live in NYC. Thank you so much!! I am an anxious mess over her name and I’m not due until [name_f]May[/name_f]. I thought naming a girl would be easier because there are so many beautiful options but I’m overwhelmed and feel the need to get it perfect. I grew up hating my name and I don’t want that for her.

3 Likes

Congratulations :two_hearts:

These are my suggestions

Esme [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]

Other M names as middle

Esme [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Maxine[/name_f]

Names to replace [name_f]Esme[/name_f]

Eileen
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Elliette[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] middle name suggestion for you would be [name_f]Maribel[/name_f] / [name_f]Maribelle[/name_f]

First name- are you not sold on [name_f]Esther[/name_f]? Because it seems like the obvious choice!

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_u]Endellion[/name_u], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Elianna[/name_f] would give you all the E beginning and L sound.

ETA: I’m not usually a fan but if you’re open to double middles is there a chance of making Esme/Esther Marion or vice versa the double middle and coming up with something completely original for the fn that will give you the L sound your looking for?

2 Likes

I do think [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] is nice, but I see what you mean about it being as gentle as it could be.

Do you think changing the spelling from [name_u]Marion[/name_u] to [name_u]Marian[/name_u] would make it seem less harsh to you? To me, it makes it slightly more feminine. [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_u]Maria[/name_u], or [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] might also appeal to you as softer options.

I know you said the “[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]” names are a bit popular, but I think [name_f]Elena[/name_f] would sound wonderful with [name_u]Marion[/name_u].

As far as third names with an L, maybe [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], [name_f]Lenore[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], or [name_f]Lily[/name_f] might appeal to you.

My suggested combinations:

Esme [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_u]Marian[/name_u]/Marion
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Lenore[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]

Good luck! You have plenty of time to find the right name; please don’t put too much pressure on yourself to find something exactly matching parameters! Whatever you choose, I’m sure it will be a decision made with love and care.

(Additionally, [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] is such a gorgeous name.)

1 Like

Hi there.

Nathaniel [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] is so handsome. I love [name_f]Esme[/name_f] too. But since you’re not stuck on [name_f]Esme[/name_f], do you like [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Estella[/name_f] to honor your grandma? They have the 'l sound built right in. Maybe [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] would work too, but I suppose it is technically more of an ‘[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]’ name. This is kind of a wildcard suggestion, but how do you feel about [name_f]Tess[/name_f]/Tessa to honor Grandma [name_f]Esther[/name_f]. Is that a stretch? I always thought that [name_f]Esther[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tess[/name_f] was adorable.

As far as [name_f]Esme[/name_f] combos, maybe something like…

Esme [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f]

Esme [name_f]Mariella[/name_f]

Esme [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]

Esme [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]

Esme [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Adele[/name_f]

Esme [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]

Esme [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]

Esme [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Lilie[/name_f]

Esme [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]

Esme [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

Esme [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Soleil[/name_f]

Esme [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Tallula[/name_f]

Esme [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]

Hope my rambling helps a bit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] would be gorgeous and classic. I love the nickname [name_f]Estie[/name_f] for [name_f]Esther[/name_f]! That sounds quite similar to [name_f]Esme[/name_f], too.

2 Likes

Esme is so beautiful and one of my favourites! I suggest that whatever first name you end up loving the most, that you use it rather than putting an overly amount of emphasis on flow with the middle. I really like the suggestions of…

Esme [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Maribelle[/name_f]

Or maybe you would like to use the first letters of her name to make a hyphenated middle. [name_f]Mari[/name_f]-[name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Mari[/name_f]-[name_u]Lane[/name_u], [name_f]Mari[/name_f]-[name_u]June[/name_u]…so many options.

Esther is lovely too but only if YOU love it.

1 Like

How about [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Marilla[/name_f]? Or [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] is a bit softer. A couple ideas for a second middle:

Esme [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]/Louisa
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Cecile[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Julia[/name_f]

2 Likes

I prefer [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Esme[/name_f]. It sounds so much better switched around. The “me” part kinda runs into [name_u]Marion[/name_u] for me. I love both names though!

Other suggestions are two middles and you mentioned you want an L sound:

Esme [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] - this is really pretty
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Lillia[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] Lilybeth [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Lola[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]

Other similar names to [name_u]Marion[/name_u] I like are [name_u]Marin[/name_u] or [name_f]Maren[/name_f] but I still think the end of [name_f]Esme[/name_f] runs into them a bit. But its not unusable. Both names are stunning.

Other alternatives for [name_f]Esther[/name_f]:

Estra
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Hesper[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]/Estella/Stella

1 Like

FIRST NAME
I dont love [name_f]Esme[/name_f], but I don’t have a genius alternative for honoring [name_f]Esther[/name_f], since it’s a very religious based name.

• Heather sounds very close to [name_f]Esther[/name_f]?
  • What about [name_u]Everly[/name_u]?
  • Tess! Or [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] saw this in an above comment. Second this suggestion.

MIDDLE NAME
Does [name_u]Marion[/name_u] SOUND or LOOK harsh to you?

• If it’s the look of the name, suggest [name_u]Marian[/name_u], [name_f]Marianne[/name_f], or even [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ann[/name_f].
  • If it’s the sound, there’s [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_u]Maria[/name_u], [name_f]Maribel[/name_f], and [name_f]Maris[/name_f]. [name_f]Maris[/name_f] might be my vote, since it sounds like the rising [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and similar names.
  • You could go another step out with [name_f]Marcy[/name_f], [name_u]Macey[/name_u], [name_f]Marlie[/name_f], [name_u]Marley[/name_u], [name_u]Marlow[/name_u], etc. The last couple options would get you that L sound.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Woah so many good replies.

I think [name_f]Maribel[/name_f] is beautiful with [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and the [name_f]Maribelle[/name_f] spelling girlies it up a bit.

I think [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is a gorgeous pick and a lovely way to honor [name_f]Ester[/name_f] and [name_u]Marian[/name_u].

My favs-

Esme [name_f]Maribelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Maribel[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]

1 Like

Stella [name_u]Marion[/name_u] came to mind as [name_f]Esther[/name_f] and [name_f]Stella[/name_f] mean star

Esme [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Melina[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]

Eliora [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Elara[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Enya[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Essie[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Ebba[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]

Esme [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Jewel[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]

2 Likes

Surprised no one mentioned this but I like [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] it’s my favorite combination my brain could wrap up and I’m in love and obsessing over [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] recently! Other suggestions unheard of are:

Esme Marrah/Marra/Mara
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] Marionette (bold but I kind of like it :rofl:)

1 Like

Esme is gorgeous! What about [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Mariam[/name_f]? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Mar names with Ls:
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Marcela[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Marisol[/name_f]

I know it’s not an E name but maybe [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] could honor [name_f]Esther[/name_f]? It as a nice L sound.

2 Likes

Esteri is an alternative to [name_f]Esther[/name_f]. There’s also [name_f]Estrella[/name_f] although the L is not PN of course.

How about [name_f]Milou[/name_f] for a middle?

1 Like

I think Princesspanda and White [name_f]Gardenia[/name_f] are onto something. But I would tweak it to [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Marlena[/name_f]. If [name_f]Esme[/name_f] honors [name_f]Esther[/name_f], I see no reason why [name_f]Marlena[/name_f] can’t honor [name_u]Marion[/name_u].

2 Likes

I LOVE [name_f]Esme[/name_f], it’s one of my favorites!
I really like @MichelleM ‘s suggestion of [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] for you!

2 Likes

I think I like simple [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] the best for you. It’s gorgeous, and goes great with Big Brother’s name. If you can’t get behind [name_f]Esther[/name_f], I’d second the recommendation of [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]; it’s prettier than [name_f]Esme[/name_f], in my opinion, and more striking. It’s also sounds more similar to [name_f]Esther[/name_f], and gives your your “L.”
But if you love [name_f]Esme[/name_f], could it be a nickname for [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f]? That offers you an L too, and sounds nice with [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m].

3 Likes

Stella! She seems like the clear choice to me. Same meaning as [name_f]Esther[/name_f], but more sweetly vintage with the feminine L. And a similar sound to the [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] names you love but not quite as popular. [name_f]Stella[/name_f] and [name_m]Nate[/name_m]/Nat also seem so film-noir cool.

Esme is also lovely, though. [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] is a nice suggestion.

As for the middle name, that’s a bit trickier. Really you have the whole world of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] names to choose from. What about [name_f]May[/name_f]? [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] would be so sweet (especially for a [name_f]May[/name_f] due date!)

1 Like