stumped on girl names........

so DH and i are going to TTC #2 next month and i’m already trying to find names that go well with our DS beckett reed. i am having a horrible time with girl names!!! we have already decided on either sullivan james or tobin gray if we have another boy (leaning more towards tobin gray).

some girl names we like: maisie, isla, gemma, ruby. we prefer names NOT in the top 500. we like uncommon, unique but not totally off the wall names. so…can you please help us with some girl name suggestions??

i’m also stuck on mn’s. beckett’s mn reed is a family name. so some family mn for girls we can use are: mae/may, june, jean, anne, gray, mary variant (we have 4 mary’s in our family, don’t want more of that exact same name!).

also, i wanted something that reminded me of my grandpa (who loved to farm and also loved to explore the monterey bay area/tide pools). i was thinking possibly west, georgia (means farmer) or bay as a remembrance to him. just rambling now…sorry. thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give me!

I love [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Reed[/name] with [name]Tobin[/name] [name]Gray[/name]. Of your girl names, I like [name]Maisie[/name] [name]June[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jean[/name]…

[name]Alice[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Clover[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Deena[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Hilda[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Honor[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Joely[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name] [name]Jean[/name]
Linore [name]Anne[/name]
[name]Louise[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Marley[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Mercy[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Molly[/name] [name]Jean[/name]
[name]Olive[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Posy[/name] [name]Jean[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Selma[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Tatum[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Tawny[/name] [name]Jean[/name]

Like any? ([name]Jane[/name] is a form of [name]Jean[/name])

Variants of [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Marie[/name]
[name]Maria[/name]
[name]Marion[/name]
[name]Marilyn[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]

Farm names (to me at least)
[name]Hayley[/name]/[name]Hailey[/name]/[name]Hayleigh[/name]
[name]Haya[/name]
[name]Hayden[/name]
[name]Calico[/name]
[name]Bailey[/name]
[name]Paisley[/name]
[name]Selby[/name] - means willow farm

i love the name charlotte, but with our last name chancellor, do you think its a little too much of a tongue twister?

others i like:
georgia
ivy
mabel
olive
scarlett (can scout work as a nn for this?)
tatum

I love [name]Charlotte[/name]! And I think it works with [name]Chancellor[/name]!

My favorite [name]Mary[/name] variant is [name]Miriam[/name].

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Chancellor[/name] would be a great name!

Also, what was your grandfather’s full name? Maybe that could offer some more inspiration?

also, we have these combo’s on our “like” list…but i’m wondering how well they go with beckett.

penelope june, nn poppy
aurora jean, nn rory (aurora is DH’s grandma’s name)
harper anne
cora adeline (cora somehow reminds me of seasons/farm/harvest)

i also love ellery and clarity…thoughts?

I love [name]Tobin[/name] [name]Gray[/name]!

Girl ideas:

[name]Annora[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Annora[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Adele[/name] [name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Mary[/name] (nn [name]Addie[/name])
[name]Susannah[/name] [name]Gray[/name] (nn [name]Sukie[/name])
[name]Susannah[/name] [name]Bay[/name] (nn [name]Sukie[/name])
[name]Susannah[/name] [name]June[/name] (nn [name]Sukie[/name])
[name]Antonia[/name] [name]June[/name] (nn [name]Nia[/name])
[name]Antonia[/name] [name]Gray[/name] (nn [name]Nia[/name])
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Esme[/name] [name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Esme[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Gillian[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Bay[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Mary[/name] (nn [name]Gwen[/name])
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Verena[/name] [name]Bay[/name]
[name]Irena[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Leonie[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] [name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Petra[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Petra[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Petra[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Rhea[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Silvia[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Silvia[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Silvia[/name] [name]Bay[/name]
[name]Emeline[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Bay[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Mary[/name]

my grandfather’s full name was pete. that’s it, just pete =) my maiden name is very close to cole. (it was a butchered version of an old russian last name that was changed when they got to US).

for a mary version…i was leaning more towards something fun and spunky. like marigold or merrily.

oh…i’m liking these!

annora june
annabel gray
viola bay ([name]LOVE[/name]!!!)
imogen gray
emeline
felicity
beatrix (but do you think beatrix and beckett are a bit too close for sibs?)

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Cora[/name]!

With your last name, however, I think [name]Coraline[/name] sounds better; I also think [name]Coraline[/name] seems to have some of that spunky vibe you’re going for.

I guess your grandfather’s name isn’t going to get very far - the only feminine version seems to be [name]Petra[/name], which while pretty clearly doesn’t fit your style.

Some other names you might like, as first or middles:
[name]Mariella[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Penny[/name] (P for [name]Pete[/name]; also short for [name]Penelope[/name], but another nn choice besides [name]Poppy[/name])
[name]Virginia[/name]
[name]Johanna[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]

Have you thought of using a form of [name]Mary[/name] for the first name? You mentioned the nickname [name]Scout[/name], and I thought it would be really cute to use a form of [name]Mary[/name] as her first name and [name]Scout[/name] as the middle name, and maybe call her [name]Scout[/name]!

[name]Minnie[/name] [name]Scout[/name]
[name]Molly[/name] [name]Scout[/name] - my favorite with [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Reed[/name]!

[name]Mara[/name] [name]Scout[/name]
[name]Mia[/name] [name]Scout[/name]

molly scout is very cute! DH loves molly…

coraline is nice. i just worry people would mistake it for caroline.

i’m really digging viola bay…what’s a nn for viola? vie? lola? vivi?

I’m glad you like [name]Molly[/name] [name]Scout[/name] - [name]Molly[/name] [name]Scout[/name] [name]Chancellor[/name] is really spunky and cute, especially with [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Reed[/name].

I’d use [name]Vi[/name] (like vigh) as a nickname for [name]Viola[/name], but I don’t know if I love [name]Viola[/name] with [name]Beckett[/name]. They don’t feel like the same style to me.

just wondering…but what “style” would you classify beckett as then? i don’t really know what my style is…but i like fun, spunky, unique names. i’ve heard conflicting things about beckett. some say trendy (surname as first name), some say irish, others say its a more “formal” name, which i really don’t get. i think its fun and spunky. not formal and stuffy.

DH just said he likes talulla bay. is that too much with our last name?

I’d classify [name]Beckett[/name] as a comfortable, spunky, masculine name. I’d say it is more trendy than traditional, being that it is a surname ([name]Samuel[/name] [name]Barclay[/name] [name]Beckett[/name], Irish author and poet) with strong literary connections. That being said, its strong sound allows it to blend with other English classic names - [name]Beckett[/name] is of English (and Irish) origin primarily. Its meaning - “dweller by the brook” - combined with [name]Reed[/name], provides for a nature-themed name, too! I feel like a nickname-y name like [name]Molly[/name], with its ties to the formal [name]Mary[/name], fits in very well with [name]Beckett[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are sophisticated names that sound more casual. [name]Scout[/name], too, means “first explorer,” a cute nickname that screams spunk and fun for a little girl!

[name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Bay[/name] [name]Chancellor[/name] certainly isn’t too much - as long as you keep to a short middle name with a longer first name like [name]Tallulah[/name], you are okay. [name]Tallulah[/name] is a Native-American name meaning “leaping water.”

I said that [name]Viola[/name] wasn’t in the same style as [name]Beckett[/name] because it is a frilly, feminine name of Italian origin. Rather than the comfortable, casual names you seem to like (and [name]Beckett[/name] is), [name]Viola[/name] seems formal, elegant - not that [name]Beckett[/name] isn’t - and almost too sophisticated. [name]Viola[/name] is also a name with Shakespearean and musical connections, which seem to distance it from the natural themes evident in [name]Beckett[/name]'s name.

wow…thanks lemon. that was great!!! i love how you described beckett, that was exactly what we were going for with his name. something with literary AND nature ties. which is why i like viola so much (shakespeare and those pretty little johnny jump up flowers, which is what my mom calls violas). would violet work better with beckett? DH isn’t as fond of viola as i am though =( i love molly, but i think it might be too popular.

it is hard to find a girl name with those same feelings as beckett reed. i thought talulla (that spelling) was also of celtic origin? hmm…i’ll have to look more into that. but you put to words exactly what i am searching for in a girls name. what about ellery, waverly or fiona? we also still have a soft spot for penelope, nn poppy. does that go ok with beckett?

While [name]Tallulah[/name] does have those Native American origins that I discussed, you are right that there is a Celtic saint named [name]Tallula[/name]. Furthermore, the name is also Gaelic in origin ” [name]Tuilelaith[/name] ” and comes from words that mean ”abundance” and ”woman” or possibly ”princess.”

I understand the [name]Viola[/name] flower connection, and [name]Violet[/name] is very pretty, but [name]Molly[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] are about the same in popularity, with [name]Violet[/name] on the rise…

[name]Ellery[/name] and [name]Waverly[/name] are both unisex, and I think you should try to stick with a feminine name, which [name]Fiona[/name] is. [name]Fiona[/name] is very classic Scottish, though, in my opinion, even though I absolutely love it! It could definitely work if you love it enough.

[name]Penelope[/name] doesn’t work with [name]Beckett[/name] at all in my opinion, but [name]Poppy[/name] does! Have you considered using just [name]Poppy[/name]? It is comfortable, casual, cute, spunky, feminine, and playful, and [name]Poppy[/name] [name]June[/name] would be really cute!

You may also like - [name]Clover[/name], [name]Pansy[/name], [name]Posy[/name], [name]Primrose[/name], [name]Rosie[/name], [name]Tansy[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Lola[/name], [name]Maisie[/name] (I know it was already on the list), [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Willa[/name], [name]Harper[/name], [name]Zora[/name]…

i like georgia, willa, harper anne, and i do still like maisie…does maisie bay work? or too short?

ugh. i just gotta find a girls name DH likes and go with it, because its quite rare that we actually like the same name! =)

[name]Maisie[/name] [name]Bay[/name] [name]Chancellor[/name] works perfectly! It has the same amount of syllables that [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Reed[/name] has. You just need to decide if [name]Maisie[/name] has enough of a grown-up feel to counterbalance its spunky nickname feel…

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Jane[/name] as a middle name, as a form of [name]Jean[/name]? I love [name]Harper[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Chancellor[/name] and [name]Willa[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Chancellor[/name]! [name]Both[/name] have a great literary connection…