Style all over the place -Help!

I’m about 1 month away from finding out the gender, but for some reason I feel like I’m carrying a boy. That said, I find it harder to dial in a boy’s name. I seem to be all over the map in terms of style. I have broken my list into categories (although some may overlap), and I think my DH is drawn to the Macho names (which I worry are “trying too hard”) and I think I’m more impartial to the Retro style (which in some regards is the opposite of his style as they can be seen as nerdy/grandpa names). Nonetheless, I would love to get feedback. Last name is [name]Reilley[/name]. Middle name is a whole different story but I expect it to be very long, thus we are trying to keep first name 1-2 syll. We also like something that’s not too popular or overly trendy. Thanks Berries!

[EDIT: LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED - SEE PAGE 2 FOR NEW LIST]

MACHO:
[name]Cruz[/name] -OUT
[name]Jagger[/name] -OUT
[name]Kane[/name] -OUT
[name]Reeve[/name] -OUT
[name]Steele[/name] -OUT

RETRO:
[name]Archer[/name] -OUT
[name]Brooks[/name] -OUT
[name]Conrad[/name] -OUT
[name]Dexter[/name] -OUT
[name]Lane[/name]
[name]Leland[/name] -OUT
[name]Pierce[/name] -OUT
[name]Rex[/name]
[name]Rhett[/name] -OUT
[name]Vance[/name]/[name]Van[/name]

TRENDY:
[name]Corbin[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name] -OUT
[name]Levi[/name] -OUT
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]River[/name] -OUT

MODERN:
[name]Dax[/name] -OUT
[name]Drew[/name] -OUT
[name]Heath[/name] -OUT
[name]Nico[/name] -OUT
[name]Shane[/name]
[name]Trace[/name] -OUT
[name]Trey[/name]
[name]Troy[/name] -OUT

SURNAME/OTHER:
[name]Crew[/name]
[name]Hayes[/name] -OUT
[name]Keats[/name] -OUT
[name]Lennox[/name]
[name]Nash[/name]
[name]Thatcher[/name] -OUT

From your lists, [name]Archer[/name], [name]Lane[/name], [name]Leland[/name], [name]Pierce[/name], [name]Heath[/name], [name]Hayes[/name] and [name]Lennox[/name] are my faves.

1 [name]Archer[/name] [name]Reilley[/name]
2 [name]Pierce[/name] [name]Reilley[/name]
3 [name]Lennox[/name] [name]Reilley[/name]

I really like [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Lane[/name], [name]Heath[/name], [name]Shane[/name], and [name]Thatcher[/name]! [name]River[/name], too, but [name]River[/name] [name]Reilley[/name] doesn’t sound the best.

Thanks for the feedback. You both seem to like Heath and Lane. Do you think these names might sound too soft? Can you see a tall sporty guy wearing these names?

I like Archer, but don’t love the nn options, so I’m torn on that. I think Pierce might be in my top group. I really like Lennox, but it might be too unique even for me. I also worry about someone hearing the name and thinking it’s Reilley Lennox instead. But it’s still a contender.

I love Conrad, but wonder if the R in Conrad and R in Reilley come off the tongue funny. Thatcher I love, but I don’t think DH is that keen on it and not loving Thatch if it gets shortened. We both like Shane, but it’s sort of been done and afraid I’ll get tired of it.

Ugggggg…it’s hard because I seem to find a problem with every name, yet I still like these and can’t find any I love better.

Any other thoughts?

From this list I really like these:

[name]Steele[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Rex[/name]
[name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]-though this is kind of popular right now
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]River[/name]
[name]Dax[/name]
[name]Drew[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]
[name]Nico[/name]
[name]Lennox[/name]
[name]Nash[/name]

You might also like [name]Sterling[/name]

what about [name]Rhys[/name]?

I like [name]Rhys[/name]/[name]Reece[/name], but a friend has claimed it. [name]Sterling[/name] was once on the list, but I took it off because it sounded a bit pretentious to me somehow.

I’m thinking I might nix [name]Hudson[/name] and [name]Levi[/name] since they seem to be pretty popular right now.

I am drawn to [name]Rex[/name], [name]Dexter[/name], [name]Dax[/name] names (guess I like the X sound), but I don’t think DH loves them as much as me. Does [name]Rex[/name] [name]Reilley[/name] sound too close to [name]Rex[/name] [name]Ryan[/name] (do people know who this is, and does it matter?).

Thanks!

Out of your names, with the surname [name]Reilley[/name], I like:

[name]Jagger[/name] - I’m probably in the minority here, but I really like the sound of the name.
[name]Kane[/name]
[name]Leland[/name] - [name]One[/name] of my favorite names.
[name]Levi[/name] - This has been climbing upward and is in the Top 100 now if that bothers you.
[name]Heath[/name] - And to answer your earlier question, yes, I can see this name on a tall, sporty guy.
[name]Trace[/name]
[name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Nash[/name]

Okay, from all those names, here’s the ones I would keep.

The astricks are my 3 favorites!

RETRO:
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name] *
[name]Lane[/name]
[name]Vance[/name] *

TRENDY:
[name]River[/name] *

MODERN:
[name]Nico[/name]

SURNAME/OTHER:
[name]Thatcher[/name]

My husband and I had this problem, but luckily we had a girl!
For boys he liked these very macho names- [name]Cassius[/name] and [name]Ulysses[/name] and [name]Zeus[/name] were his top names.
I liked ‘grandpa’ names that my husband said sounded girly- [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Elliot[/name], [name]Elias[/name], [name]Felix[/name], [name]Cecil[/name], [name]Wallace[/name], [name]Sidney[/name], [name]Leland[/name], [name]Levi[/name].

I ended up almost caving to [name]Cassius[/name] which has a macho reference, but a softer sound (I just can’t get into the nn [name]Cash[/name]…almost like [name]Bentley[/name] or [name]Diamond[/name] to me!) and I almost pulled him over to my side wit spunky [name]Ace[/name] as nn for [name]Wallace[/name]…maybe one of those would work for you?

Ooo what about [name]Dane[/name]? Kind of fits with retro, trendy, modern and surname imo…not very macho sounding yet I can picture a broad shouldered jock type named [name]Dane[/name].

taz: thanks for [name]Dane[/name] suggestion. I actually really like the flow/sound of [name]Dane[/name] with our ln. In fact, I think I like names ending with the n sound too. Unfortunately DH had a bad experience with a [name]Dane[/name], so that one is off the table.

So DH and I had our first chit chat about names this weekend, and the list of names has dwindled considerably.

Here’s where we are currently:

[name]Crew[/name]: his favorite. I like it okay, but it might be too unique for my comfort zone and also I worry about last name/first name confusion ([name]Reilley[/name] [name]Crew[/name]?). Also he might want to spell it differently, which I’m not so sure about.

[name]Nash[/name]: maybe his second favorite. This name doesn’t really do it for me, but I don’t hate it either. It might be a name that could grow on me if he loved it enough. But again since it’s a surname too, I worry about ln/fn reversal.

[name]Shane[/name]: we both like it, but we realize it’s slightly dated and there are lots of [name]Shane[/name]’s out there. We typically like something that’s a little more unique (especially since our ln is fairly common) however this name conjures up an image that we both feel sort of fits with the type of kid we might have if that makes sense.

[name]Vance[/name]/[name]Van[/name]: we both like it, although I think he prefers just [name]Van[/name] better, but I like [name]Vance[/name]. It’s unique enough but familiar. Not sure if this is the one though.

[name]Rex[/name]: at this point, this might be my favorite and DH loves it too, but turns out we have a toddler cousin with this name (that we hardly ever see and lives in another state). I know some people don’t like alliterations, but the RR theme was given to both my father and DH’s dad also, so the family connection might be nice too.

Some other possibilities that haven’t been vetoed yet:

[name]August[/name] - not sure about flow with our LN
[name]Corbin[/name] - might be too trendy?
[name]Dean[/name] - not excited about but still works
[name]Evander[/name]* - boxing assoc too strong?
[name]Forrest[/name] - also not sure about flow
[name]Gordon[/name] - not loving nn options
[name]Ivan[/name]* - too russian, too popular?
[name]Lane[/name] - we forgot to talk about this one, but I still like
[name]Lennox[/name] - boxing assoc and possible ln/fn reversal problem
[name]Reed[/name] - rising too fast in popularity between both spellings?
[name]Trey[/name] - works okay, but is it special enough?

*we haven’t really talked about these names yet, but since he loves nn [name]Van[/name] so much, I figured they might be contenders

We are still open to other suggestions, but would also love your feedback on names above too.

Thanks for your help Berries!

I love [name]Pierce[/name] [name]Reilley[/name]… And [name]Dax[/name].

[name]Dax[/name] [name]Reilley[/name]. [name]Pierce[/name] [name]Reilley[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are excellent. Also if you like the more vintage sounding [name]Dexter[/name], you could always use [name]Dax[/name] as a nickname.

jennakat: I actually really like [name]Dax[/name], [name]Pierce[/name] and [name]Dexter[/name], and also how they all flow with [name]Reilley[/name]. Unfortunately, DH doesn’t like any of them. I suppose I could still try to push [name]Pierce[/name] and [name]Dexter[/name] (he really hates [name]Dax[/name]), but it seemed to be an immediate dislike for all of them when we talked.

Have you considered [name]Zane[/name]? [name]Zane[/name] and [name]Shane[/name] are both on my list, but hubby is being difficult :wink: I have a little cousin named [name]Nash[/name], so I think it’s pretty cute. I’m not a fan of [name]Crew[/name] at all. To me it’s either the crew of the ship, or a last name.

I sort of like the name [name]Zane[/name], but I can’t help but think of the word Zany when see it, which is not a characteristic I want in a child. So I think that one is out, but thanks for the suggestion.