Style vs. Coincidence

When you cultivate your name lists, do you actively seek out names of a specific style, or does your style come from the names that you choose?

A bit of a naming “which came first” philosophical question.

1 Like

My style comes from the names I choose. I don’t specifically search for old names, I discover them coincidentally and just fall in love :woman_shrugging:

I think for me it’s a bit of both. I choose to try and find new and interesting/established and familiar Hebrew names, but most of my [name_f]English[/name_f] options are ones I love that mostly end up being in the top 500 with a few exceptions :woman_shrugging:. I have Erez and [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u] on my list - I don’t really have a set style!

My style definitely comes from the names I choose. I have never looked for names of a particular style that I wanted to adopt. Rather, I just fell in love with names and added them to my long list, which makes for a rather eclectic mix.

There was a time when I would separate any names I loved that I thought didn’t match the style I thought I had, but now I just collect any name I love. :slight_smile:

Hmm… good question. :thinking: For me, I think the names came first, and then I started to realise that there was a pattern in what appealed to me and what didn’t. Now that I know I have very specific preferences, I do search for names within those parameters, but I’m still open to surprises as well.

1 Like

I just choose names I like. A lot of times they happen to fit into a certain style. Sometimes they don’t.
I do go looking for names to that fit that style a bit more now that I have two named kids to consider though.

This! I realized I liked vintage choices that aren’t very popular, so I kept looking for names like that.
Of course, there are exceptions to my ‘‘style’’ that I still include in my UC. [name_f]Estella[/name_f], [name_m]Angus[/name_m] and [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] for example.

1 Like

I can’t really seek out styles because my style is so eclectic. I just find names and see if I like them.

The style comes naturally. All the names that I am drawn to are very similar!

My style comes from the names I like, but it’s not really a defined style. A lot of the names I like happen to be classics or well-established names, but there are total outliers I love just as much.

I think my style comes from which names I choose.

I’d say overall my style is unusual, magical sounding word/nature names, so that’s generally what I search for.

However, there are many names that fit outside of that category that I absolutely love. Take [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] for example. Also notice that I have [name_u]Sheldon[/name_u] [name_u]Lane[/name_u], [name_f]Yvonne[/name_f] [name_f]Carol[/name_f], and [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] [name_u]Poet[/name_u] next to each other in my UC.

So my style is definitely not set in stone.

My longlist is slightly more eclectic than my shortlist (emphasis on slightly here).

I had a more eclectic group of names but fell out of love with a lot of them, the ones that stood the test were the more established choices. Once I realised the common thread (established, old-fashioned and gendered), I did refine my search more.

I’ll still add any name I like to the longlist though, but with the caveat I have to believe I’d name a real child that, more unusual options are on another list altogether.

A bit of both. There are names of all kinds of styles that I like, but my favorites/ones I would most likely use have some common threads. I don’t actively try to make names match in style, though.

Somewhere between - I actively seek out mythological names, because I know I love them, but most of my favourite names (e.g. [name_f]Aurembiaix[/name_f] and [name_f]Helisent[/name_f]) were stumbled upon… whilst looking at names similar to ones I knew I liked. I think most of my life circles around storytelling and melodrama, so I’m not surprised that my name style is similar.

For my long list, I just collect names I like! For my short list, I tend to have a style (I think at least lol) that I could see myself actually using on a child so when I’m asking for suggestions, I’ll stick to that.

1 Like

I think my style comes from the names I find, but sometimes in looking for similar names of names I like you end up looking in a particular style