Sub-septate uterus

I had an ultra sound about a month ago and today my doctor told me that I might have a sub-septate uterus because in the ultra sound, it looked like I had a bit of skin or whatever it’s called partially coming down the middle of my uterus. I don’t know much about this sort of thing as this is the first time I’ve heard about it. All I know so far is that I’m more likely to have a miscarriage which worries me a little bit. [name_f]My[/name_f] doctor told me she’s had other patients with this condition who didn’t have any problems with pregnancy though.

I asked her if I will have to have a C-section and she quickly looked through the papers and said she didn’t think so. I looked through the papers and it said that I’m more likely to need a C-section because the baby may go upside down sometime during the pregnancy. Having a C-section doesn’t worry me, but I would like to know if I will likely need one or not. I want to have some idea of what to expect.

Also, what is it like to have a C-section? [name_u]Will[/name_u] I be awake? I’ve heard that there’s a chance that the baby will be born earlier as well. What things should I watch out for? I hope this condition isn’t too serious.

*I’m getting my wisdom teeth taking out tomorrow so I may not be able to get back to all of you for a while.

I won’t be having babies any time real soon as I don’t even have a boyfriend, but I would just like to learn more about this.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! L&D nurse here…childbirth is so unpredictable it can be really difficult to have a plan so it’s best to take it week by week and try (try!) to relax. As for the sub-septate (it keeps autocorrecting to separate) uterus; your doctor should be able to confirm if that is what the ultrasound shows. It is generally only a problem for miscarriage if the placenta implants on the septum (which is basically just like skin) vs the blood vessel rich endometrial lining of the uterus. The ultrasound would show where the uterus has implanted (if this is the 12 week scan you are referring to). There might be an increased chance of c section because baby may not have as much room to turn to head down (which usually happens by 28 weeks or so). This is known as “breach” presentation and yes, a c section is typically recommended in most cases (although some OBs will do vaginal breach deliveries in the OR).

You will likely get more ultrasounds to monitor baby’s growth. As baby grows, she will likely push the septal wall as far out of the way as possible but there could come a point your third trimester where baby starts to run out of room. If baby is head down and there is no other indication for a c section, you may be induced early.

If you need to have a scheduled c section, you will likely be awake with a spinal anesthetic that numbs you from the waist down. The c section itself (I’ve had both types of delivery personally myself) doesn’t hurt but you will feel the pressure of the OB pushing really hard on your stomach. Recovery can be a lot more difficult because having abdominal surgery and a newborn means that your mobility will be limited. I would do some basic preparation like making sure you have a bassinet that you can easily reach into to pick up baby and having help at home for the first 2 weeks at least.

However all that being said, a sub-septate uterus is generally not an automatic c section. Without knowing specific details about your situation, I can only generalize. [name_f]My[/name_f] recommendation is to write down a list of your questions and ask your OB again until you get a clearer answer (that’s what you are paying them for lol). I would also take a birthing prep course that discusses the process of labour, birth, c sections, etc.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps! Best of luck during your pregnancy and with the birth of your baby!

5 Likes

Thank you so much! Very helpful. :slight_smile: