Suggestions for a literary middle name for baby Jane?

I need a literary middle name for a baby that is due in a few weeks (eek). My other daughter is named [name]Violet[/name].

Her first name will be [name]Jane[/name].

Any suggestions appreciated - a name that begins with C or M or H is a plus (family).

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Amaryllis[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Guinevere[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Hyacinth[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Rosamond[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name]

Authors:

[name]Jane[/name] [name]August/name
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Harper[/name]

Good luck! (I love the name [name]Jane[/name]!) :slight_smile:

This is tricky because there are a couple directions you might go in. [name]Do[/name] you have a few favorite books or authors? You could use a character’s name from a favorite story or part of an author’s name. Really almost any name could be literary unless you’re looking for it to relate to some specific work.

I agree that what makes a name a “literary name” is really very subjective. Any name could meet the definition, depending on why it was chosen. What makes a name “literary” is when it is specifically chosen for its literary significance - either in honor of an author that the parents have found inspirational, after a character, or even because of the symbolic meaning of the name as a word. Arguably, the process of naming is always literary; it is putting your child’s identity into a word, in consideration of what that word means culturally and all connotations derived from its sound, appearance on paper, and prior uses as a name or otherwise. Admittedly, though, I think most people associate the idea of having a literary name with being named after an author or character - but again, the literariness of the name is not inherent to the name itself, but rather is found in the reason it was chosen. There are lots of children named [name]William[/name], and probably only a few that are so named because of their parents’ love of [name]Shakespeare[/name] - only those few have literary names. Of course, when a famous author or character has a name that is otherwise extremely obscure, most people will think of the literary reference right away and the assumption will be that the reference is why the name was chosen.
Anyway, I’ve rambled on for too long, but my point is that you shouldn’t pick a name because it is a “literary name” - according to someone else - unless you feel you have a personal literary connection to the name; otherwise, it’s just a name you like the sound of and not literary at all. In that sense it is very difficult for anyone to actually recommend a literary name to someone else, especially without a lot more information.
Of course, if you would like to name your daughter after any important woman author (with or without feeling a literary connection) because you think that is a great type of person to be named after (and it is:) ), then here are just a couple of suggestions (in consideration of your preferred initials):
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Maya[/name]

In the literary world, [name]Jane[/name] makes me think “[name]Jane[/name] Eyre” or “[name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name].” Perhaps there are characters or character names from these novels/authors that you like.

Examples:
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] (for [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Bronte[/name])
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] (for [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Bennet[/name] in Pride and Prejudice)
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] (for [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Bennet[/name] in Pride and Prejudice)
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Emma[/name] (for [name]Emma[/name] Woodhouse in [name]Emma[/name])

Or, if you want something that is an obvious literary reference:
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Bennet[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Bronte[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] Eyre

I love children’s lit, so I’m going to include some names from children’s books.
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Annabel[/name] - poem by [name]Edgar[/name] [name]Allen[/name] [name]Poe[/name], “[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Lee[/name]”
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] - [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Dante[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] - “The Importance of Being [name]Ernest[/name]” - love it!
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Daisy[/name] - “The Great [name]Gatsby[/name]”
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Dorothea[/name] - “Middlemarch”
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Guinevere[/name] - “[name]King[/name] [name]Arthur[/name]”
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Gwendolyn[/name] - “The Importance of Being [name]Ernest[/name]”
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Isolde[/name] - [name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] - “[name]Little[/name] Women”
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] - “A Room with a View” - would be great with a long last name.
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] - “[name]Matilda[/name]”, a book by [name]Roald[/name] Dahl
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Philippa[/name] - “[name]Pippy[/name] Longstocking” - love it!
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] - “[name]Ivanhoe[/name]”
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Rowena[/name] - “[name]Ivanhoe[/name]”
[name]Jane[/name] Thornfield - the name of the house in “[name]Jane[/name] Eyre”
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Veronica[/name] - “[name]Peter[/name] and [name]Veronica[/name]”, a book by I think [name]Mary[/name] Sachs, but I could be wrong - maybe it’s a different author. Those books are so funny! This is obscure, so maybe someone else could think of a literary figure named [name]Veronica[/name]. But if you want to know the truth, one of the main reasons I love the name [name]Veronica[/name] is because of the girl in “[name]Peter[/name] and [name]Veronica[/name]”.

Greek mythology:
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Artemis[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Minerva[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Persephone[/name]

I am tempted to include Nikomis, the daughter of the moon in the poem “[name]Hiawatha[/name]”, but the “n” sound at the end of [name]Jane[/name] runs into the “n” sound at the beginning of Nikomis.

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Marlowe[/name]

my friend jane’s middle name is kendra.