Suggestions for daughter of two Veterinarians

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]!

My sister in law and her wife are expecting their first child. Obviously as a member of nameberry, I asked their ideas on names :stuck_out_tongue: They are stumped. So I asked if I can make a post to see if there is any suggestions they like. So, with a description of them, what names would you suggest for this family? What names do these traits inspire?

A big factor they both stressed is the love of their job. While of course the little one may not inherit their love for animals, her childhood is bound to be surrounded by creatures. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any suggestions that may suit an animal-lover? They have horses, cats, dogs, chickens and goats at home.

They live in mid [name_u]Tennessee[/name_u], and are country and outdoorsy.

The baby is very longed for and a great blessing to all. The meaning of the name is very important to them.

Their preference is a longer name with many choices for nicknames.

[name_m]Favorite[/name_m] at the moment is [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f].

Some ideas they like but have vetoed:

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] --> Worried about pronunciation.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] --> [name_u]Love[/name_u], but have seen too many pets named [name_f]Lucy[/name_f].

[name_f]Winifred[/name_f] --> Have used on their own pet.

[name_f]Willa[/name_f] --> Lack of nicknames.

[name_u]Remington[/name_u] --> They don’t think this will age well.

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

[name_m]Bodhi[/name_m]

[name_u]Everett[/name_u]

Thanks so much in advance

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] seems like a nice enough choice. It’s not my personal favorite, but it’s a good name.

Other ideas:

[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]

[name_f]Coraline[/name_f]

[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]

[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]

[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]

[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]

[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]

[name_f]Susanna[/name_f]

[name_f]Tallula[/name_f]

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Fauna[/name_f] would work well. Other options:

[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Lark[/name_f]
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_f]Palila[/name_f]
[name_u]Haven[/name_u]
[name_u]Prairie[/name_u]
[name_f]Meadow[/name_f]
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Valley[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariposa[/name_f]
Bindi
[name_f]Kerensa[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]

[name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
[name_f]Lotus[/name_f]
[name_f]Meadow[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Phillipa[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]

I want to throw out Carrington. Like [name_u]Remington[/name_u] but she could go by [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] which is more timeless

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Frances[/name_f] or [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] “[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]”?

St. [name_u]Francis[/name_u] of [name_f]Assisi[/name_f] is the patron saint of animals and even though the meaning “free man” isn’t superficially romantic, I think the idea of giving a longed-for child a name associated with freedom has its own merits!

Congrats to them!
I actually love the name “[name_u]Tennessee[/name_u]” for a girl- it’s very sweet and outdoorsy.

Girls;
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] “[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]”- lover of horses
[name_f]Fauna[/name_f]- [name_m]Roman[/name_m] goddess of nature and animals
[name_f]Alouette[/name_f] “[name_f]Ally[/name_f]”/"[name_u]Lou[/name_u]"- [name_m]French[/name_m] for “lark”
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] “[name_f]Maddie[/name_f]”- 'little dog"
[name_f]Deryn[/name_f] “[name_m]Derry[/name_m]”/“Ryn”- “[name_u]Bird[/name_u]”
[name_f]Avianna[/name_f] “[name_f]Ava[/name_f]” “[name_f]Anna[/name_f]”- “[name_u]Bird[/name_u]”
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f] “[name_f]Lia[/name_f]” “[name_f]Molly[/name_f]”- “work”
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] “[name_f]Trixie[/name_f]” “[name_f]Bee[/name_f]” “Bex”- “she who brings happiness; blessed”
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]” “[name_f]Louise[/name_f]”- “healthy”
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] “[name_f]Eva[/name_f]”- “bearer of good news”
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] “[name_f]Ada[/name_f]” “[name_f]Addie[/name_f]”- “noble”

Boys:
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u]- 'little dog"
[name_f]Deryn[/name_f]- “[name_u]Bird[/name_u]”
[name_m]Wilder[/name_m] “Wily”-
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u] “[name_f]Em[/name_f]”-“universal”
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m]- “to carry”
[name_m]Beckett[/name_m] “[name_u]Beck[/name_u]”- “[name_f]Bee[/name_f] hive, bee cottage”
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] “[name_f]Ro[/name_f]”- type of tree
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m] “[name_f]Ro[/name_f]” “[name_u]Ronnie[/name_u]” “[name_u]Roan[/name_u]”- “little seal”
[name_m]Callum[/name_m] “[name_u]Cal[/name_u]”- “dove”
[name_m]Leander[/name_m] “[name_m]Leo[/name_m]” “[name_u]Andy[/name_u]”- “lion-man”
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m] “[name_m]Ben[/name_m]”- “blessed”
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] “[name_m]Artie[/name_m]”- “bear”

So lovely that you are helping them find a name! I am also from [name_u]Tennessee[/name_u], so I might have a slight sense of what names would work there.

I think [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is a great option! (My personal favorite nickname for it is [name_u]Sasha[/name_u], but of course they have many other good possibilities.)

Since they like the name [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], is there a reason they wouldn’t consider a longer name that could have [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as a nickname? This might help them get away from the pet name association but still be able to comfortably use the name. Some options could be: [name_f]Lucille[/name_f], [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Lucienne[/name_f], [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f], [name_f]Luciana[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Luisa[/name_f], [name_f]Louise[/name_f], [name_u]Eloise[/name_u], [name_u]Luca[/name_u], [name_f]Lucasta[/name_f], [name_f]Lucretia[/name_f], and [name_f]Luella[/name_f], among others.

Here are some other ideas they might like:

• [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]: Means “she who brings happiness/blessed.” [name_f]Bea[/name_f]/[name_f]Bee[/name_f]/B could be a nickname nickname that could give a nod to the animal bee. Other nicknames for [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] could be [name_f]Bess[/name_f] (like the cow) or [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]. So she could have numerous animal names hidden in definitively human name.
  • [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] (or other spelling variants): This would have the option for the nickname “[name_f]Cat[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Kitty[/name_f],” as well as many other non-animal-related nickname options.
  • [name_u]Arden[/name_u]: They seem interested in some more unisex names, so this goes along with those. According to this site, it means “valley of the eagle.” Nicknames could be [name_u]Ari[/name_u]/[name_u]Arie[/name_u], [name_f]Aria[/name_f], or [name_u]Denny[/name_u].
  • [name_u]Eden[/name_u]: Another unisex name. The obvious association is to the Garden of [name_u]Eden[/name_u] or an eden in general, and it makes me think of a peaceful place for animals.
  • [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]: I think of [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] in Sleeping Beauty as an animal lover (interacting with them as she wonders through her forest home). The name also has a pretty meaning (dawn). Nicknames could be [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_u]Arie[/name_u]/[name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_f]Aria[/name_f], [name_f]Rora[/name_f], or [name_f]Aura[/name_f].
  • [name_f]Briar[/name_f]: Again, this is Sleeping Beauty’s name while she’s living in the woods.
  • [name_f]Ariella[/name_f]: Means “lion of God.” Nicknames could be [name_u]Arie[/name_u]/[name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f].

I hope this helps!