Super Nameberry's I need your help! (long post- sorry)

Hello Nameberry’s! I have come for your expert opinions. As my due date is in clear sight ([name]Jan[/name])- and I have daily panic attacks over this LO’s name. I will try to make this short, but I want to give you all the info I can.

My son is [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]. His name was switched close to the end of my pregnancy after my brother passed away, and his first name is in honor of my brother (this was actually all my husbands idea too). We kept the original name we were using as his middle.

My husband and I decided that we would like to use a family name again for our daughter, as a middle. After discussion, I agreed to let my husband pick the name from his side of the family, since I have my brother’s name I really thought I had no choice (not saying that in a bad way). Well, he has VERY limited choices as he would only pick a name from is grandmother, mom or sister- all of whom are named after each other. Originally, he picked [name]Elda[/name] (gma and mom) and told his family, who is ecstatic. He recently decided that he want to make sure his sister was honored as well and changed it to Maryelda (one word) and yes, announced it to his family.

I am slightly crushed by this, not that his sister is now honored but I feel that this really limits the first names we can give her. It was hard enough to come up with a name I loved in general and now I have this factor of a long, two-name, middle name. My DH keeps saying that middle names don’t matter and no one will ever know it…hmmmmm

Oh, and how can I forget to mention…my DS also has my last name as a second middle name name, which I REALLY wanted for my DD as well, and now I don’t think I can. I am so worried that we are giving our daughter a hideous name, when I really wanted something beautiful and feminine. It all makes me so sad.

So, we have [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] _____ (one syllable) ______ (two syllable) and _________ Maryelda _____ _____

Questions for you all:
[name]Do[/name] I need to find a one syllable first name for my DD? Should I nix my last name as a second middle?
Suggestions on ANY names would be wonderful…what my list is down to as of right now: [name]Violet[/name], [name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Ava[/name] (in no order).

Thank you so much for sticking around to read the entire post and for all your help!!!

First of all, Maryelda isn’t horrible as a name; I think you can work with it!

If I were you, I would split Maryelda back up, however, and use [name]Mary[/name] as the first middle name and [name]Elda[/name] as the second middle. In any case, I wouldn’t use your surname in this equation (sorry!).

I think [name]Violet[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name] is actually a beautiful name! If I were you, I’d probably go with this one.

However, I don’t think that either [name]Ava[/name] Maryelda or [name]Ava[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name] works all that well. Ditto for [name]Isabelle[/name] Maryelda and [name]Isabelle[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]. With [name]Ava[/name], I think the a at the end clashes with the final a of [name]Elda[/name]. And I think there are too many repeating -el sounds in [name]Elda[/name] and [name]Isabelle[/name].

Other ideas:

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Averil[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Allison[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Autumn[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Gillian[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]

I agree with everything cressida said! Of your 3 choices, I think [name]Violet[/name] works the best by far.

Great list, here are my faves:
[name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name] (nn [name]Lily[/name])
and a few suggestions:
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]

I don think you need to worry to much. I agree with your husband, middle names are rarely used (or at least in my family they arent). It is more important that the fn flow with the ln.

Does your son go by [name]Matthew[/name] or [name]Jackson[/name]?

[name]How[/name] about:
[name]Violet[/name] Maryelda
[name]Grace[/name] Maryelda
[name]Iris[/name] Maryelda
[name]Lucy[/name] Maryelda
[name]Lily[/name] Maryelda
[name]Paige[/name] Maryelda
[name]Brynn[/name] Maryelda
[name]Audrey[/name] Maryelda
[name]Sage[/name] Maryelda
[name]Eve[/name] Maryelda
[name]Rachel[/name] Maryelda
[name]Sophie[/name] Maryelda
[name]Kate[/name] Maryelda
[name]Katherine[/name] Maryelda

If you are uncomfortable with Maryelda, you could try revising the spelling to Marielda. It feels more familiar but the pronunciation is the same.

[name]Violet[/name] is lovely, you could also try [name]Iris[/name], if it doesn’t feel too old fashioned for you.

Other thoughts are

[name]Callista[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name] (popular, but beautiful)
Jospehine
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Norah[/name] ([name]Love[/name] this!)

GL!

Thanks everyone!!!

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name] is dh’s grandma, [name]Elda[/name] is mil’s middle, and [name]Mary[/name] is sil’s first. We discussed the possibility of changing the spelling or trying to merge the names into a different name, but my dh is not happy about this and feels it takes away from the purpose.

We call my ds [name]Matthew[/name] or MJ.

I really appreciate everyone’s comments and suggestions! I feel like we have gone over and over through the baby books/websites etc. Apparently, we (I) are super picky LOL.

Names I like from your lists:
[name]Nora[/name], [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Autumn[/name]- dh not a fan of these
[name]Elizabeth[/name] has been on our list lately but neither of us like any of the nn’s (you’d think we’d like one, with all of them! haha)
I really like [name]Madeline[/name]/[name]Madelyn[/name], but the nn [name]Maddy[/name] is too close for comfort if my ds decided he wants to be called [name]Matt[/name].

What are your opinions on the name [name]Coraline[/name]/[name]Coralynn[/name]/[name]Coralie[/name]??? This was the original name we decided on (I actually did a post a while back mentioning it). We liked the name [name]Cora[/name], but wanted a longer, more formal name to go with it so we were trying to pick one. Then, just as an FYI, we switched to [name]Violet[/name], and now we are back at square one.

[name]Do[/name] you have any leeway? Perhaps shortening Maryelda down to Marelda a version of [name]Esmerelda[/name]…? Seems very lyrical to me and shorter. Maybe something traditional or new American/place name for the first name to go with your son’s full name…

[name]Elizabeth[/name] Merelda
[name]Isabelle[/name] Merelda
[name]Juliette[/name] Merelda
[name]Vivienne[/name] Marelda
[name]Gwendolyn[/name] Merelda
[name]Esme[/name] Merelda
[name]Serafina[/name] Merelda

[name]Avery[/name] Merelda
Astor Merelda
[name]Scout[/name] Merelda
[name]Madeline[/name] Merelda
[name]Charlotte[/name] Merelda
[name]Harper[/name] Merelda
[name]Shiloh[/name] Merelda
[name]Zora[/name] Merelda
[name]Iris[/name] Merelda
[name]Roan[/name] Merelda
[name]Savannah[/name] Merelda
Daveney Merelda

[name]Coralie[/name] is absolutely stunning! This was my favorite a few years back and now I can’t remember why I ever stopped liking it!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Coraline[/name] and [name]Coralie[/name]!!! [name]Coraline[/name] Maryelda is beautiful! I like it much more than [name]Violet[/name], personally. [name]Coralie[/name] is fantastic, too – it is tough to decide which I like better. [name]Coralie[/name] Maryelda definitely works, I think I just like the flow of [name]Coraline[/name] slightly better. I am not a huge fan of [name]Coralynn[/name]…I think the other two are better. [name]Coraline[/name]/[name]Coralie[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name] definitely gets my vote!

I love [name]Coralie[/name]!

I actually like Maryelda more than just [name]Elda[/name]. I agree w other posters middle names don’t really get that much play on all her legal documents it will just have an M for her middle name. She will love having such a meaningful middle name. My children have a hyphenated last name so I understand wants to keep ur maiden name as part of your childrens names. I love coralie and just [name]Cora[/name] for that matter. [name]Cora[/name] is one of those names that can stand alone even though its short like [name]Ava[/name], [name]Faye[/name] and [name]Vera[/name]. [name]Cora[/name] Maryelda maidenname lastname is nice!

I searched the internet for Maryelda and this is the link that I found

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name] Broussard (1908 - 1999)
[name]Born[/name] in Opelousas, [name]Louisiana[/name], USA on 28 Feb 1908 to [name]Rene[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] Broussard and [name]Ida[/name] [name]Alida[/name] Labbe. She passed away on 13 Feb 1999.

Is this your relation by any chance? If so you now have two more options ie [name]Ida[/name] and [name]Alida[/name] and I think [name]Alida[/name] is pretty.
Either

[name]Alida[/name] [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Alida[/name] [name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Alida[/name] and [name]Coralie[/name] [name]Alida[/name] wdyt?

I think many people honour someone in their family with another version of the name that the relative had eg [name]Mary[/name] becomes [name]Marion[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Anne[/name], [name]Marianne[/name], [name]Mariella[/name], [name]Miriam[/name] etc.

So, why not ask dh if he likes [name]Mariella[/name] and both [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Coralie[/name] work with it.

[name]Violet[/name] [name]Mariella[/name] and [name]Coralie[/name] [name]Mariella[/name]

While I can see that Maryelda flows well enough it does look like a made up name and that is why I am suggesting [name]Mariella[/name].

All the best,

rollo

Another vote here for [name]Coraline[/name] Maryelda. It’s fantastic, even with a hyphenated last name, it works.

I am a huge fan of [name]Coraline[/name] or [name]Coralie[/name]. I think it works great with Maryelda.

Alright, this should be fun!

If you don’t like the name, then don’t use it. [name]Just[/name] free yourself. Yes, he told his family, but no, it’s not on a birth announcment yet.

I am on the camp that you are still the momma, carrying the baby and then giving birth gives you enough brownie points to make the switch. I would site the [name]Mair[/name]-ee-yell-duh sound as your reason for not changing the name.

I think you can still honor living relatives by using a version of their name without creating a mass panic. In fact I prefer it this way personally, you don’t want one name running around on multiple people, and it sounds like there is already a trend of this going on in DH’s family.

I saw one post that suggested splitting the name and giving up your maiden name, which is a good alternative, if you are satisfied with that. If not, then do it your way, you have every right.

Ask your GM in law if she has a favorite name that she never got to use, or developed a love for post-children, maybe that name is something you will love!

[name]Ella[/name] from [name]Elda[/name]
Eldira from [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Della[/name] from [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Adele[/name] from [name]Elda[/name]

[name]Mariel[/name] from [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Elda[/name]
[name]Marianne[/name]
Maridian
[name]Mel[/name]
[name]Esmeralda[/name]!!! Wow, you could get [name]Esmeralda[/name] from those two name phonetically.
[name]Marabel[/name]
[name]Meryl[/name]
[name]Marisol[/name]

Now, as for first name, here are names like the ones you have chosen-

[name]Coralie[/name]- [name]Corabelle[/name], Coriander, [name]Corissa[/name], [name]Clarissa[/name], [name]Clarice[/name], [name]Corrinne[/name], [name]Corliss[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]- [name]Mirabelle[/name], Marabella, [name]Gabriella[/name], [name]Isadora[/name], [name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (NN’s you might not have thought of)- [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Beth[/name], [name]Lotte[/name], [name]Libby[/name], [name]Lolly[/name], [name]Ella[/name] (good for [name]Elda[/name]), [name]Elyse[/name], [name]Elisa[/name], [name]Elsie[/name], [name]Lili[/name], [name]Lia[/name], [name]Lisa[/name], [name]Lyza[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Belle[/name], [name]Zel[/name], [name]ZaZa[/name], Zippy, [name]Bette[/name], Zeth, [name]Abby[/name], [name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]- [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Viola[/name], [name]Violetta[/name], [name]Iolande[/name], [name]Jacintha[/name], [name]Harper[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Delilah[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Lilac[/name], [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]- [name]Isa[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Avi[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Greta[/name], [name]Maeve[/name], Aila, [name]Asa[/name], [name]Ash[/name], [name]Aisling[/name], [name]Afton[/name], [name]Abby[/name], [name]Eva[/name], [name]Ever[/name], [name]Ekko[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Embry[/name], [name]Emme[/name], [name]Izzy[/name], [name]Vera[/name], [name]Mia[/name],

Other names I think you might like:

[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Mirielle[/name]
[name]Alessandra[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Phillipa[/name]
[name]Ariadne[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Thisbe[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Bella[/name]
[name]Magdalena[/name]
[name]Valerie[/name]
[name]Gianna[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Mya[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Jada[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Jillian[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Jacqueline[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Marissa[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Sienna[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Alexia[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Nadia[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Sasha[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Angelica[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Selena[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Dulcie[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Gloria[/name]

See if that works and don’t be afraid to PM me for any other advice.

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

I also think Maryelda is very pretty, not bad at all. I also love when first or middle names honor a family member.

I think if Maryelda is one name, then you can still put your maiden name as the second middle name. I also wondered how literal it had to be. Could you possibly soften it as Maryella?

I really like:
[name]Ava[/name] Maryelda
[name]Anna[/name] Maryelda
[name]Ana[/name] Maryelda
[name]Eva[/name] Maryelda
[name]Claire[/name] Maryelda
[name]Lucy[/name] Maryelda
[name]Alana[/name] Maryelda

Oh my dear! I am on board with [name]Bella[/name]!

This is NOT going to win brownie points with your hubby, but you use the words:

“slightly crushed” and “It all makes me so sad” and NO new mother-to-be should utter these words!

The idea of honoring a family member is a lovely sentiment, but here are a few logical points:

1. Naming a baby is a MUTUAL decision!
  2. If a name doesnt seem “right,” don’t force it (I went to school with an Almeada and she hated the family name)
  3. If your husband is going to announce to the family your name choices, he should be open to modifications!
  4. [name]Just[/name] because you named your son after family members (sorry for the loss of your brother),doesn’t mean you have to follow the same pattern with other children.
  5. There are ALWAYS ways to modernize a name, i.e. my wonderful great aunt “[name]Edna[/name]” can now be [name]Edana[/name], and it still maintains a sense of authenticity to heritage/family history.

Ok, with that said, a few questions to help narrow down this situation!

Is [name]Elda[/name] pronounced “Eel-da” or “[name]El[/name]-da”? [name]Elda[/name] is a version of “[name]Ilda[/name]” (Eel-da) an English [name]Princess[/name] from the 17th century.

I think a beautiful compromise for a middle name combo would be [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elodia[/name] - still maintains the “[name]El[/name]” and strong “D” sounds! And [name]Elodia[/name] is just adding “O” and “I” to [name]Elda[/name]! Plus [name]Elodia[/name] ([name]El[/name]-o-dia) is so musical and feminine (which you want!)

Another option with the same feel and same letters as Maryelda is [name]Maridel[/name] - which I think would be lovely too~

[name]Coraline[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elodia[/name] (one syllable) (two syllable)

or

[name]Coraline[/name] [name]Maridel[/name] (one syllable) (two syllable) would flow nicely.

With [name]Elizabeth[/name], some options not mentioned: Lissy, [name]Essy[/name], [name]Elsa[/name]/[name]Ilsa[/name] (think Casablanca!) [name]Lilibet[/name] ([name]Queen[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]'s childhood nickname)
Busy (as in Busy [name]Phillips[/name]) or Bizzy, [name]Zizi[/name], Zabby, [name]Isi[/name], and a little bit of a strech, but I still love it, [name]Lulu[/name].

I prefer [name]Elisabeth[/name] (with the soft “s”) and [name]Elisabetta[/name] is really pretty (with the great nn [name]Etta[/name], which would be cute with [name]Matt[/name] or [name]Matty[/name])

[name]Elisabeth[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elodia[/name]

or

[name]Elisabeth[/name] [name]Maridel[/name]

or

[name]Elisabetta[/name] [name]Maridel[/name]

Hopefully this helps a little bit! I just don’t want you to be sad about your darling little daughter’s name! Let us know what you pick!withinreason

I raise my glass to you!

Like many of the other poster’s comments, I think you should use a name that you love too.

I’d recommend [name]Mariel[/name] as the middle as it honours both women. [name]Mari[/name] + [name]ELda[/name]. I think it’s melodious and beautiful, and honours both women in an already legit name!

Wow! You [name]Berry[/name]'s are amazing :slight_smile:
Thank you, thank you for taking the time and being so thoughtful!

I tried to step away from the naming business for a couple days to relax and try to take a fresh look at things. I know I am seriously over-thinking things, haha.

I have already agreed to use the name Maryelda, either one or two words so that is staying. There is no budging on the spelling etc., and I understand where my dh is coming from. I am so proud that my ds is named after my brother and I can’t take that away from my dh.

[name]Elda[/name] is “el-duh”, not the most beautiful sound but it goes back several generations past my dh’s grandmother and my dh doesn’t feel right changing it. FWIW: I love the suggestion of Maryella…I’m going to try and see what dh says but I’m pretty sure a big fat no is coming my way.

My mil has not been the most flexible, helpful, cooperative person in this process. We have talked to her the situation and her answer was to give her dh’s sister middle name as our dd’s first name and that would “solve all problems”…well apparently it would make her happy but so not going to happen!

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Elda[/name] Broussard: nope sorry this isn’t her but thanks for trying ;). There really aren’t many other names and the name is all over the family, a very LARGE family (she was named after her mother etc). Dh just doesn’t want to name to come from an Aunt or Cousin (completely understand, and many of which have family names including mary or elda) where the names expand a little bit.

Such wonderful suggestions you have all made.
I really like quiet a few, but most have already been vetoed for some reason, bummer:
[name]Sabrina[/name]- but dh says he can only think of the teenage witch
[name]Scarlett[/name]- this name has really grown on me
[name]Penelope[/name]- dh can’t see it
[name]Avery[/name]- dh has only known males
etc, etc

I am pleasantly surprised by the response to [name]Coraline[/name]/[name]Coralie[/name]! You have my brain spinning LOL. I’m pretty sure I am going to end up naming this LO in the hospital, no matter how much I would love to love a name for her prior :slight_smile:

Thanks again!