Surprising College-Age Girl Names

Pretty self-explanatory. I’ve taken note of the interesting names from my classes as well as the classes I am a TA for this semester (12 in total), and I figured I’d share. Sure, there are dozens of those names you can expect to hear in every crowd of college-aged girls, but there are also some unexpected ones:

Alexandria (Maybe cheating because Alexandra is pretty common, but…but this is Alexandria.)
Analise
Annabel
Brisa
Clorinda
Cosette
Gissele
Hania
Isis
Jada
Joylinn
Justine
Karina
Kenya
Linda
Litzy
Mara
Martha
Reyna
Rochelle
Ruthanna
Sarai
Sienna
Soledad
Tatyana
Trenna
Yoselin
Zaria

Which one(s) surprise you most? Are any of these common where you live?

9 Likes

[name_f]Mara[/name_f] and [name_f]Sienna[/name_f] don’t surprise me!

I really love [name_f]Cosette[/name_f] and Ruthanna, and I’m happy to see old favorites like [name_f]Martha[/name_f] and [name_f]Linda[/name_f] making a comeback.

Thanks for sharing :smiley:

1 Like

[name_f]Hania[/name_f] is actually quite common in Poland. [name_f]Justine[/name_f] and [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] are so pretty, but uncommon where I’m from, so I’m a big fan. I haven’t heard many of the names here before.

1 Like

I’m especially loving [name_f]Cosette[/name_f], [name_f]Isis[/name_f] (such a stunning name despite current associations rendering it unusable), [name_f]Mara[/name_f], [name_f]Sarai[/name_f] and [name_f]Tatyana[/name_f]!

Most of these would surprise me on a college-aged girl, but [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f] and [name_f]Sienna[/name_f] are fairly popular here in the UK.

3 Likes

Wow! Really? I have never encountered them outside of NB. But that’s cool! I’d love to hear them more.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. Isis is fabulous. <3

[name_f]Alexandria[/name_f], [name_f]Karina[/name_f], [name_f]Justine[/name_f], [name_f]Rochelle[/name_f], [name_f]Sienna[/name_f], [name_f]Mara[/name_f], and even [name_f]Linda[/name_f] are all names I’ve heard in girls similar to my age or a bit older/younger, but the rest are a bit unexpected!

1 Like

It’s so cool how much names differ across countries!

I think I know 3 Mara’s around my age and 5 Sienna’s all aged between 3-16.

1 Like

Cool list! I love seeing [name_f]Cosette[/name_f], [name_f]Karina[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_f]Reyna[/name_f], [name_f]Sarai[/name_f], and [name_f]Yoselin[/name_f]!

[name_f]Annabel[/name_f], Gissele (assuming it’s pronounced like Giselle?), [name_f]Jada[/name_f], [name_f]Mara[/name_f], and [name_f]Sienna[/name_f] are pretty common where I live among my age group, which is college-aged. Though I’ve never seen the Gissele spelling, I know a lot of girls called Giselle/Gisele/etc, and most of the girls called [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] I know spell it [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f].

1 Like

Not surprising: [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f], [name_f]Analise[/name_f], [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Isis[/name_f], [name_f]Jada[/name_f], [name_f]Justine[/name_f] (I know a lot of Justines from college!), [name_u]Kenya[/name_u], [name_f]Linda[/name_f], [name_f]Mara[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_f]Reyna[/name_f], [name_f]Rochelle[/name_f]
Surprising: [name_f]Brisa[/name_f], [name_f]Clorinda[/name_f], [name_f]Cosette[/name_f], Gissele, [name_f]Hania[/name_f], Joylinn, [name_f]Karina[/name_f], [name_f]Litzy[/name_f], Ruthanna, [name_f]Sarai[/name_f], [name_f]Sienna[/name_f], [name_f]Soledad[/name_f], [name_f]Tatyana[/name_f], Trenna, [name_f]Yoselin[/name_f], [name_f]Zaria[/name_f]

I will say I’ve only met an [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f], an [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], an [name_f]Isis[/name_f], a [name_f]Jada[/name_f], a few Justines, a [name_u]Kenya[/name_u] and a [name_f]Rochelle[/name_f]!

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve never seen this spelling before either! But I’ve only ever met one other person named Giselle before this, so it’s amazing you know so many. It’s such a lovely name! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m shocked that [name_f]Isis[/name_f], while it is a Egyptian goddess, after 9/11, I don’t think I’ve ever met a girl name [name_f]Isis[/name_f], but it is a pretty name. I also know a [name_f]Litzy[/name_f], Tatyana(just spelt traditionally), and an old friend of mine was named [name_f]Analise[/name_f]

1 Like

It surprised me, too, at first, but then I was thinking, if she is my age, then she was born before 9/11, so… :woman_shrugging:t3:

Still surprising, though, because it’s not like it was ever popular or anything! I love it, though. One of my guilty pleasures. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really I know at least 5 Sienna’s from Manitoba

The most surprising name I heard in my University Classes was a girl named MonaLisa

[name_f]Clorinda[/name_f], [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f], Ruthanna and [name_f]Sienna[/name_f] surprise me!

And a Sarai!!! How exciting!!

1 Like

[name_f]Brisa[/name_f], [name_f]Jada[/name_f], and [name_f]Reyna[/name_f] have actually been common in my area through the years. [name_f]Isis[/name_f] must’ve gone through a bit of teasing with her name:( I feel bad for her. [name_f]Clorinda[/name_f] I had never even heard of.

1 Like

I know two teenage Rochelle’s and one Cosette… but Linda is sure surprising! Plus I’ve never heard Ruthanna before, only Ruthanne (and she’s a very kind elderly lady)!

1 Like

[name_f]Soledad[/name_f] is pretty common in Hispanic cultures. It means “loneliness” and “solitude”, but I think it’s pretty.

I like Ruthanna, [name_f]Sarai[/name_f], [name_f]Yoselin[/name_f], and [name_f]Zaria[/name_f] a lot!

1 Like