Susannah or Susanna?

See the results of this poll: Which one?

Respondents: 18 (This poll is closed)

• Susannah: 14 (78%)
  • Susanna: 4 (22%)

I used to only like the name without the H, but lately I think I like it better with the H-- it looks more complete, while [name]Susanna[/name] looks like it’s missing something. It’s weird, because usually I prefer names without an H ([name]Nora[/name], [name]Lila[/name], [name]Sara[/name], etc.). I pretty much think they’re equally nice. [name]Susanna[/name]/h is a lovely name, and I think it goes very well with [name]Dashiell[/name].

[name]How[/name] funny, I much prefer [name]Norah[/name], [name]Lilah[/name] and [name]Sarah[/name], and I don’t think any of them look right without the H. Which is exactly how I’ve always felt about [name]Susannah[/name] until today. But I’m thinking [name]Susanna[/name] is really quite pretty. Im worried the H sort of mucks it up. But then on the other hand, I love [name]Susannah[/name]! Ha!

I prefer [name]Susannah[/name]. It looks more complete and more like it’s its own name and no sus-anna or susan-na.

And to compare I like [name]Sarah[/name] and [name]Lilah[/name] better. [name]Nora[/name] is the one I feel the h is superfluous on.

Oh, how I love this name! [name]Susannah[/name] has been at the VERY TOP of my list if I had a second daughter - to go with my daughter [name]Rebecca[/name] and two sons. However, I ALSO like the spelling of [name]Susanna[/name] very much. I think before actually naming a daughter this, I would do a survey of friends and acquaintances - asking them to spell the name – to see which spelling they are inclined to use. I would want to determine if there is a ‘standard’ spelling for the name or otherwise choose the one that would cause the least misspellings for my daughter.

I kind of like [name]Susanna[/name] better. It just seems a little lighter. I know that this was also the version used by [name]Shakespeare[/name]'s daughter. I worry a bit about [name]Susannah[/name] being SO close to the popular [name]Savannah[/name].

Oh good idea about having people spell it! I have a feeling [name]Susannah[/name] would come out the winner. I guess it’s more popular, but apparently [name]Susanna[/name] is the original. I do think I would probably go with [name]Susannah[/name].

This name is quickly winning my heart. I love saying it, looking at it, the fact it’s familiar but not common. I love that S isn’t a popular letter. Most of my favorite names seem to blend it with all the other names you hear all the time. But [name]Susannah[/name] doesn’t, or at least I don’t think so. There are endless nicknames and I love them all. Oh, in fact… Care to tell me your favorite? I’d probably call her by all of them at home, but would want to choose one to have her use most of the time.

[name]Susie[/name]
[name]Sosie[/name]
[name]Sookie[/name] - hubby insists on this spelling
[name]Zuzu[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] - a stretch, I know, but I don’t think too much of a stretch. Middle name will include [name]Sage[/name], so that helps it to work, [name]IMO[/name].

Phoebesmom- the closeness to [name]Savannah[/name] is one of the reasons I am questioning the H. [name]Susanna[/name] seems to completely separate it. And I also agree it makes it feel lighter. I like that lightness, but I also like the frilliness the H adds…

I hadn’t noticed, but you guys are right; when written, [name]Susannah[/name] could be mistaken for [name]Savannah[/name]. I haven’t thought about nicknames, but I really like [name]Sanna[/name].

[name]Hope[/name] you get a chance to use the name!

For some reason, I was under the impression that [name]Susannah[/name] was the original Hebrew translation associated with the [name]Susannah[/name] in the Old Testament, and [name]Susanna[/name] was a Greek variant associated with the woman in the New Testament. In any case, I think I’m just getting kind of weary of the “antique” name thing, and [name]Susanna[/name] feels a bit fresher.
I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Susie[/name]. I’d have a [name]Betsy[/name], [name]Susie[/name] and [name]Sally[/name] set in a heartbeat!!

[name]Ah[/name], you’ve got me thinking about [name]Susanna[/name] being fresher. I think you might be right. I’ve been looking at both all day, and I’ve been preferring [name]Susanna[/name]. Though that might just be today. To me, the name, in either spelling, is just so bright and sunny and cheerful. I want the spelling to reflect that, and I’m wondering if [name]Susanna[/name] does more so than [name]Susannah[/name]. Does [name]Susannah[/name] seem more serious?

I think I’m putting too much thought into this!

I like your description of [name]Susanna[/name] being “so bright and sunny and cheerful.” So true! (Whether [name]Susannah[/name] is more serious than [name]Susanna[/name] is a good question and relevant to picking the name you’d want to use. It is not ‘overthinking.’) I do think that [name]Susannah[/name] looks a bit heavier and more serious than [name]Susanna[/name].

I agree with the previous poster: [name]Susannah[/name] looks a bit more serious, while [name]Susanna[/name] is a bit more playful. While I don’t want to completely throw even more confusion in for you, have you considered [name]Suzannah[/name]? (sorry if you already mentioned this - I didn’t read all the posts) For me, the ‘z’ gives it that playful, bright, sunny, modern feel it seems you’re after, but the ‘h’ at the ends keeps the sound feeling more complete and substantial. Good luck!

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

I prefer [name]Susannah[/name] with the nns [name]Susie[/name], [name]Annie[/name] or [name]Anna[/name]

Yes, I do think [name]Susannah[/name] has a more serious, Old Testament-ish feel. [name]Elijah[/name], [name]Isaiah[/name], [name]Jonah[/name], [name]Noah[/name], [name]Hannah[/name]…[name]Susannah[/name].

I prefer [name]Susannah[/name]. For me, [name]Susanna[/name] looks too much like [name]Susanne[/name], which is a name I find terribly dated.