Swan

See the results of this poll: Do you think Swan is a suitable girl baby name?

Respondents: 61 (This poll is closed)

• Yes, I’d consider using it: 6 (10%)
  • Yes, but I wouldn’t ever use it: 25 (41%)
  • No: 30 (49%)

Swans the creatures are very feminine and beautiful, yet the sound “Swan” to me is very harsh, masculine, and unpleasant. Its similarities to [name]John[/name] and [name]Juan[/name] make the sound seem masculine, and the “w” sort of zaps out all the life to me. Maybe a name associated with swans, like [name]Leda[/name] or [name]Odette[/name], or in the middle spot, but as a first I really can’t imagine it.

I would consider using it in the mn place I love the idea of having a unique unexpected middle name, but as a first name it just doesn’t do it for me sound-wise, and it’s too close to the old english [name]Swain[/name]…

There was a documentary years ago on beauty pagents (before Toddlers and Tiaras) and one of the girls was named Swan, which I never thought of as a name before, but it worked. If you can use [name]Wren[/name], [name]Sparrow[/name], [name]Robin[/name], or [name]Lark[/name], I don’t see why you couldn’t use Swan.

Good luck!

It seems to me that anything can be a name. Sigh. As for Swan, it’s not a name I would use, but I wouldn’t discourage anyone else from using it. I don’t think it’s harsh. It seems rather soft in fact. It is unexpected. And the imagery is good.

I like it but I wouldn’t use it as a first name. I agree with a pp that if people are naming their kids [name]Wren[/name], [name]Robin[/name], [name]Sparrow[/name], Nightingale, [name]Lark[/name], [name]Dove[/name], [name]Raven[/name], [name]Phoenix[/name]… I think Swan is A-OK and as I said, I actually like it.

Plus I am somewhat accustomed to the idea of Swan as a name since I read a fantasy series with a character named Siuan - pronounced Swahn. =p

I don’t think I would personally use it as a first name, maybe a middle name.

What about Cygne? It means swan in French, and if you use an anglicized pronunciation (sig-nee) it would sound a lot like [name]Sydney[/name]. Not too weird.

I think it would be a daring choice, and not one I would use as a first name myself (possibly a middle though :wink: ), but I would be excited to meet a little girl with this name. To me its pretty, soft and whimsical sounding.

Swan its filled with beauty and elegance. It would make a great complimentary name. Think [name]Elizabeth[/name] Swan :wink: