Swooning over...Dolores?!

I just can’t get it out of my head. I’m wondering what you all think? Posed for a comeback? Hopelessly old lady?

[name_f]Dolores[/name_f]. It certainly sounds prettier when pronounced with a Spanish accent, but even the English pronunciation is growing on me. And the nickname [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] (or there’s [name_f]Lola[/name_f], of course) is ADORABLE.

I’m not a fan of [name_f]Dolores[/name_f] but it’s definitely usable and quite lovely. [name_f]Lola[/name_f] is wonderful.

I don’t think it’s hopelessly old lady, though it may need a few more years or decades before I can see it making a comeback.
When I fall for a name, I still think about if I’d like to have the name, often, even if I really love it, especially on a cute little child, I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable with clunky, old lady names (old lady/man=grandparents’ generation; vintage=great-grandparents’ generation).

I don’t mind it. It reminds me of [name_f]Dolores[/name_f] O’[name_m]Riorden[/name_m], singer of The Cranberries, and she wears it well.

1 Like

If it wasn’t for Umbridge (the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]) I would consider it. It’s unusual, not too ‘old lady’ to me, and doesn’t have an unattractive sound imo (the meaning doesn’t bother me). But, yeah, the character makes it 100% unusuable for me. I don’t think that’s the same for everyone though.

I love the name [name_f]Dolores[/name_f] as it’s my mom’s name! We call her [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] and she’s a wonderful person so whenever I hear the name I think of her :smiley:

I wouldn’t worry about the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] connection, given that [name_f]Dolores[/name_f] is an established name in its own right. [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] isn’t and won’t be what it used to be anyway.

I really love [name_f]Dolores[/name_f]! I think it’s a great name :slight_smile:

A friend of mine has two little girls, one of them is D0l0res Fl3ur nn [name_f]Lola[/name_f]. (The other is N0ra Magn0lia)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I haven’t read HP so to me at least the name has not been tarnished by association. The nickname [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] is super cute. [name_m]How[/name_m] fun to hear about a baby [name_f]Dolores[/name_f]!
I’m now feeling that it’s absolutely usable, maybe even primed for a comeback.
Thanks!

I know some people associate it with [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], but it actually makes me the think of the [name_f]Sister[/name_f] Act movies! (which imo, isn’t a bad thing at all)
I’ve never considered the name, but I think I’d be excited to meet a baby [name_f]Dolores[/name_f]. and the nn [name_f]Lola[/name_f] is just too cute!

Sorry, I just don’t find it attractive. I do love [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] and [name_f]Lola[/name_f].

Thanks for all the opinions! They’ve been helpful :slight_smile:

I don’t like it. Probably because I’m Hispanic - the meaning literally means “pains”. And that’s what I think about when I hear the name, lol. Otherwise I understand why you would like it - it does phonetically sound beautiful!

I’m a HUGE [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] fan, but I don’t associate [name_f]Dolores[/name_f] with Umbridge. I’m not sure it’s ready for a comeback though. I could see it working in the UK or a trendy area of the US where “old lady names” are common on little ones.

Knowing Spanish all I hear is “pains” as well.

I honestly don’t like this name at all. Like others had said, it is the word “pains” in Spanish. I guess it depends whether many people speak Spanish in your area.

I loved Westworld, so [name_f]Dolores[/name_f] seems both classic and strong to me.

I feel the same way about [name_f]Dolores[/name_f]! It’s got such a beautiful, melodious, undulating sound. Nabokov thought so, too - it’s the title character of [name_f]Lolita[/name_f]'s actual name - and if anyone was sensitive to the beauty of words it was him! He also chose it because of its many nicknames, but I don’t really like [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] or [name_f]Lola[/name_f] and [name_f]Lolita[/name_f] itself is just too tainted. I do like Lo, and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a nickname occurred to me - a bit of a stretch, but I like it, and if [name_u]Rory[/name_u] can come from [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] (and [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] can come from [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]), why not?

Though I wouldn’t use it personally, I’d say it is usable and understand the appeal. I immediately think of Umbridge, so it’s out for me,