Syllables

How do you balance the “flow” of names using syllables? For example, [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] sound nice as combos, but [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] sounds too balanced for me. Your thoughts on this and how did you of would you name children with this in mind?

I have a two syllable last name so for a good flow I’d do a one syllable first name and three syllable middle name or vise versa. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] wouldn’t flow well since all the names are two syllables. There needs to be variety when it comes to syllables. I think this is an important factor in the name process.

1 Like

For me, what amount of syllables sounds good really depends on the names. Maybe I like a certain pattern with some names but I dislike it with other names.

To me, [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] (2 3 2) and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] (2 2 2) sound fine but [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] (2 1 2) a bit less.

The flow of a name is not very important to me. As long as it doesn’t sound very bad I won’t really pay attention to balancing the flow of the syllables when I will name my children.

For me it all depends on the emphasis and flow of the names themselves, though I do like doing a two syllable name followed by a three syllable middle

I didn’t pay much attention to number of syllables when I came up with our girls’ names. Each of their first names happen to have 3 syllables and two of them have 2 syllable middle names. The other one has a 3 syllable middle name. Our last name has 4 syllables, but it’s a Spanish name, which tend to have more vowels and therefore more syllables.

The main thing I focused on was the names ending in different sounds. I focused more on their first and middle names going together because if they get married, there’s a chance they can change their last names anyways. But with a last name like Espinoza, I wouldn’t use something like [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f] because it’s too similar in sounds.

Any of your combos sound fine to me.

I think the emphasis and sounds in the name tend to be more important to me than syllables. As an example [name_u]George[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] has too many abrupt clashing sounds, where as [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] [name_m]Cole[/name_m] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] has more open flowy sounds that work better for me, and again [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] doesn’t work but [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] is fine.

1 Like

Unfortunately, two syllables names ending in A do not flow well. I adore so many of these names like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Lara[/name_f].