Sylvie or Sylvia

We are only 7 weeks pregnant, so unknown gender at this point. But our front-runner for a little girl is [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]/Sylvia. I prefer [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], DH prefers [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f].

Big brother is [name_m]Arthur[/name_m].

Can you sell us either way? :blush:

2 Likes

Yeah that does seem like the obvious compromise, but I’m just not sure I want to make it! :joy:

Sylvie feels like the fresher option. It’s sweet and makes me think of [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] somehow - tinsel, lights and bells. It gets my vote!

Sylvia is pretty too but has a totally different vibe to me. Darker and more mature, probably due to the Plath association. It’s harder to see on a baby!

3 Likes

Sylvie feels more modern and sweet

Sylvia feels more middle-aged/old lady like

3 Likes

I love [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]! It’s both cute and chic.

Sylvia is a great name but feels like more of a retro statement name. It’s in that sweet spot of so-out-it’s-in, kind of stylishly old-fashioned.

Sylvie feels fresh and sweet to me, even though it’s actually quite dated in [name_f]France[/name_f].

3 Likes

Interesting, your description of [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is kind of how I felt about [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] when we used it too!

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]! It’s very pretty. It feels a bit more solemn but can be lightened by using [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] as a nickname.

1 Like

Yes, I think [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] fits that too, but it’s now more mainstream than [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is (yet).

Sylvia feels slightly younger in terms of vintage than [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], which is why it feels a bit more ahead-of-the-curve still now. But definitely the same strong, sweet, solid vibe.

2 Likes

I prefer [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]!

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], especially since you can always still use [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] as a nn!

3 Likes

As a mom to a little [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], I would say both forms sound and look vintage and old lady-ish to us, but that’s something we enjoy in names :wink:. What tipped the scale in our case was that there had been two women named [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] in our family, but ours is the first and only [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f].

As a sister for [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], my vote goes to [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]. As some have said, [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is very sweet. [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is formal and strong, which is how I see [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] would be a beautiful, strong duo.

8 Likes

Sylvia with NN [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is to close to selkie for me and with [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] you get the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

Sylvie!! It feels lighter and more chic to me than [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]. [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is very heavy and middle-aged to me (I know 2 and they’re in their 60s and 40sor50s). I also think [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] pairs more nicely with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m].

Sylvie is such an absolutely stunning name, I just love it so much :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Sylvie feels sleek and contemporary. I much prefer it.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], especially with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. It’s less popular and has less of a “dated” feel to many people.

I do love [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] though too!

1 Like

Sylvie is so cute *

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] just because of the look of the ie at the end.:wink:

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] with the nickname [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. They’re both lovely names but that’s my preference! I think [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] sounds better with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] as well.

2 Likes

I prefer [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]. It seems more classic with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] which sound like a full name and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] sound more like a nickname. I do love both [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] an [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] but [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] just sounds better to me and has the option of nn [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f].

2 Likes

Sylvie. [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] feels dated, while [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] feels fresh.

2 Likes