Sylvie = Sophie??

We have decided on the name [name]Sylvie[/name] for our baby girl due in [name]November[/name]. We love it and we’re probably not going to change our minds, but now I get to spend four months obsessing about all the ‘issues’ we might face with this name. In particular, how she will forever be mistaken for [name]Sylvia[/name], or probably more often, [name]Sophie[/name].

I guess it doesn’t matter, but I’m just wondering if any other moms out there have encountered this “sounds like” problem and how you have dealt with it. I think [name]Sophie[/name] is a lovely name, but would never use it because of its extreme popularity. [name]Even[/name] though [name]Sylvie[/name] is not the same name, might I just as well be naming her [name]Sophie[/name] because it sounds so similar? [name]Will[/name] she end up feeling like just another [name]Sophie[/name] if there are several in her school?

See, I told you, I’m obsessing!

When I read the subject heading I thought someone was doing some major reaching to make [name]Sophie[/name] a nn. for [name]Sylvie[/name]. It didn’t occur to me associate those two names together at all.

There is no way someone is going to make [name]Sylvie[/name] into [name]Sophie[/name].

First off, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name]!!! I really don’t see how [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name] could possibly get mixed up. Congratulations on your daughter, she will have one beautiful name! [name]Do[/name] you guys have a middle name picked out??

I would not worry much. It never occurred to me, despite some shared letters in each name that these names would be mixed up. They each have a very different sound, which is all that is important.
Congrats on your [name]Sylvie[/name]!

[name]Sylvie[/name] is at the top of our list, too (don’t know what we’re having yet though). It’s a lovely, sophisticated name, [name]IMO[/name]! I think it’s in the same “family” as [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], and [name]Zoe[/name], but I don’t think it would ever be confused with [name]Sophie[/name]. [name]Sylvia[/name], maybe. But I don’t think it will be a big deal. It definitely shouldn’t keep you from using the name!

Best of luck :slight_smile: