Synesthesia and names

I’m wondering if anybody else on the forums has synesthesia and if it has a role in what names you like/dislike. For me it gives some names physical feelings or taste/smell or it makes me associate the sound of a name with color, like [name_f]Emillia[/name_f] tastes like orange juice and I love it

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] synesthesia mainly affects my letters and numbers (with color). The only time it really affects my name tastes is hot pink names :sweat_smile: Hot [name_f]Pink[/name_f] names usually have either a lot of A’s or double L’s in my head, and I can’t really seem to move past it. But there’s plenty of other colors I don’t like that don’t affect how I feel about the name. For example I don’t like purple very much but I do like purple names: [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], [name_m]Bruno[/name_m], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_m]Dante[/name_m], [name_f]Juno[/name_f] etc.

3 Likes

I have synesthesia and I see letters and numbers in colors. I usually prefer to stay in a shade of a color when naming siblings or all dark/all light colors. Which makes it so much harder sometimes.

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is a light shade of pink and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is light yellow and I don’t like this combo of colors so I wouldn’t name siblings with those names even tho I love that they are both long names and would normally fit well together.

Side note: It’s crazy (and fascinating) that you (@rhodes2nowhere) think that [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], [name_m]Bruno[/name_m], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_m]Dante[/name_m] and [name_f]Juno[/name_f] are all purple names to you, to me [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is a red, so is [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] but a little bit more on the pink side, [name_m]Bruno[/name_m] is grey, [name_f]Willa[/name_f] is dark purple-blue, [name_m]Dante[/name_m] is dark red and [name_f]Juno[/name_f] is a grey-ish green!

3 Likes

I have very slight synesthesia, it only comes into play with certain words/names. I generally only notice it when the color or feeling that I get from a name (and by “feeling” I mean that hearing certain names makes my brain pull out a particular set of experiences and images that for whatever reason are associated with that particular name for me) severely clashes with the way someone else is describing what they get from the name. When my sensory input is not clashing with someone else’s purported sensory input for that particular name, I usually don’t notice it.

I also have this thing, and I’m not sure if it’s related to the synesthesia, where certain names will cause me to hear another sound in my head along with it. Like when I hear Emmie, I get this mid tone whiney sound in my head, like a little kid is whining at me. For that reason, there are a lot of names that just bug me, Emmie, Brittany, Whitney, Courtney…

1 Like

I have synesthesia and I see personalities, names, numbers, letters, flavours and emotions as certain colours. [name_f]My[/name_f] taste is mainly names in a kinda tan/latte/beige colour with exceptions to light periwinkle grey.

my favourite names and their colours are:
freddie (latte)
rue (light khaki/sage green)
cove (pale rosewater)
elise (also kinda latte)
melinoë (like the inside of an almond)
kit (smoked almond)
rome (alabaster)
ezra (orange sherbet)
persephone “posie” (tan)
aspen (light asparagus green)

emotions: