Talk me in or out of Lilith

Hi! I’m thinking about using [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] as a first name. It strikes me as being strong yet lively (I view mythological story from feminist perspective and love lilies). I know that some surely have unpleasant connotations with the name, but is it a deal breaker? Should I stick to “safer” options like [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilac[/name_f] or maybe put [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] in the middle spot? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] soundwise?

TIA🌷

2 Likes

Personally, I think [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] would be better off as a middle name. I don’t think it’s entirely unusable as it has a pretty sound and fits nicely with the [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f] trend. I just can’t get over the associations. Although I do understand that the story can be viewed from different perspectives, she is fairly well known as a baby murderer which in my eyes is a little off putting especially as a [name_u]Christian[/name_u].

Have you considered [name_f]Lillia[/name_f]?

1 Like

Yes, forgot to mention [name_f]Lillia[/name_f]/ [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], I like this name a lot too.

3 Likes

it’s pretty isn’t it! There’s also [name_f]Lilias[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilium[/name_f] that have a more ‘out there’ feel!

2 Likes

I am not a fan of the name [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]. Reminds me of the show [name_u]True[/name_u] Blood.

2 Likes

Her story is very disturbing to me, so I would never use it, but I do like the way it sounds

1 Like

I struggle with this one.

I really like the sound, and it’s actually relatively popular in the US now so the controversy surrounding the Biblical figure clearly isn’t seen as a dealbreaker by many. I agree with @jonquils that I like the feminist aspect of the name.

I understand the meaning to be “of the night”, strictly speaking. I believe the “monster/demon” part that is often cited is comes from the Biblical character’s story, rather than the etymology of the name itself.

So I want to say “go for it”! I’m just aware that when it comes to other names which are potentially problematic — like [name_m]Cohen[/name_m], [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] or [name_f]Dixie[/name_f], for example — I always, always urge caution because I think, even if you don’t agree with the controversy, others that your child comes into contact with during their life might, and having a potentially “offensive” name could be a barrier to the bearer.

I think the relative popularity of [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], plus its similarity to other “[name_f]Lily[/name_f]” makes mitigates that issue slightly, but just a glance at the comments on the NB page for [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] shows you that there are certainly some who find its use inappropriate.

TL;DR: [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is a gorgeous name, and I want to say “use it”, but the potential controversy gives me pause. I would personally be very cautious about using a name that some may find problematic; for the child’s sake as much as that of other people.

3 Likes

Lilith is sleek and lovely

4 Likes

I love [name_f]Lilith[/name_f].

I’m not religious so don’t care either way about the mythological story. But the sound is strong, fresh but also familiar. Thanks to the [name_f]Lil[/name_f]- start it’s recognisable and easily pronounced and will fit in with other similar names but the ending is so strong compared to some of the others. It’s just a breath of fresh air amongst some of the frillier, girlier names (that I know I’m guilty of overusing myself).

For now, I’ve kept it off the shortlist and replaced it with [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], as I gave up on trying to fight the mythological associations, like have been raised on this thread. But I think if I was having a child, I would seriously consider it, I just like having some stronger girls names to consider.

6 Likes

I’ve seen [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] come up as an idea a couple of times in here. It’s turning out to be a fun name to follow!

First of, I would say that it’s a perfectly cool name to like, both because it could be taken as a fun and different twist on [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], and also because of the feminist twist that it adds with the “boy bye” choice of the mythical [name_f]Lilith[/name_f].

I couldn’t talk you in or out of a name, but really wanted to say that [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] only means night, it shares the same root as names like [name_f]Lila[/name_f] and [name_f]Laila[/name_f], and despite the demonic side of [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], her name isn’t inherently bad or evokes danger.

[name_f]My[/name_f] concern with a name like [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], that makes some religious persons uncomfortable, would be related to employment discrimination and her ability to be included in spaces occupied by a religious majority.

I will never forget my husband’s request not to give our children the “jewiest name that ever jewed” (given my love for names like [name_m]Abraham[/name_m] and [name_m]Herschel[/name_m]), because names are a presentation card people not always change.

When our religious (cultural, social, ethnic, whatever) inclinations don’t fall in line with the majority, (in my humble opinion) we should think about our children’s opportunities, safety, education, employment etc. And create a balance between choosing something that represent us and transmits a piece of our history to the children, and putting them in a position where their name makes them stand out for things that are out of their control, and impossed on them rather than chosen.

I will leave this link for anyone who could find it helpful: https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/lilith-lady-flying-in-darkness/. It’s a discussion on the name [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] from a Jewish-mysticism point of view. I found it fair and interesting.

4 Likes

I don’t care about the [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] in Jewish folklore. Had literally never heard of her until this website. [name_f]My[/name_f] concern would be her name getting lost in the sea of other popular [name_f]Lily[/name_f] names.

2 Likes

Lilith - the meaning woman of the night along with this biblical tale is an absolute no go for me as a [name_u]Christian[/name_u]…and I’m ok with [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]. On top of the terrible connotations the sound of [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] makes me think of an old witch in a forest with long grey hair lots of warts - kind of [name_m]Macbeth[/name_m] style.

Lilac - I love this for a name. I’m not sure this is considered a ‘safe’ name - safe in terms of connotations but it’s unusual and quirky and elegant and delicate and mystical and edgy all at the same time. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it

Lillian - classic and timeless and beautiful but also much more widely used

1 Like

There have been quite a few recent threads on this name. I’ll link them below…

Nearly every vampire or supernatural type of show or movie has a villain named Lilith, so most people will have that association.

This name all depends on your personality. I LOVE the meaning of “night monster” or “of the night.” I LOVE putting people off with my feminism. Because my opinion is - History HAD to paint the first feminist as an unnatural demon (baby eating, yeah sure, whatever), to assist the patriarchy in forcing GENERATIONS of women into submission.

So yeah, 100% the name for my future daughter :heart_eyes: And I’ll probably get her a onesie with something like “screw the patriarchy” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (Seriously, I CANNOT wait to have a kid)

3 Likes

Lilith is a great name. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t let the murder myth keep you from using it. People still name their kids [name_m]Charles[/name_m], [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f], [name_m]Ted[/name_m], etc. The difference is that those were actually people.

2 Likes

I really like [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]! The meaning doesn’t put me off so much that I wouldn’t use it, I think it gives a great moody vibe similar to [name_f]Morgana[/name_f], [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m], and Hades (I would use all of those as middles for sure!) so the backstory just adds some colour. It can be softened with [name_f]Lily[/name_f] if she wants when she’s older (or Lille, [name_f]Lilla[/name_f], [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]–so many options). At the very least, I would use it as a middle, it’s a great name! I feel like the sitcom [name_m]Frasier[/name_m] softened it a bit and made it more wearable.

I like [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] but I really like [name_f]Liliana[/name_f] right now!

2 Likes