Talk Me In/Out Of These Names (1)

Hey y’all!

One of my goals that I’ve made for myself during this quarantine/lockdown/shutdown/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, is that I’d get my girls list down to a manageable 10-20 names, and that’d actually make a boys list. [name_f]My[/name_f] girls list is sitting at a whopping 75 names, so I’ve got a ways to go. I’m planning on doing it in stages until I get it down to something I’m happy with!

I have managed to decide on these so far: [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], [name_f]Bethany[/name_f], [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f].

I’m breaking my list into sections at random and I’d like any/all feedback you’ve got for me! Convince me to keep them, or convince me to let them go!

Here’s part one:

[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Samantha[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_u]Andrea[/name_u]
[name_u]Kimberly[/name_u]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]
[name_f]Summer[/name_f]
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hope[/name_f]

(Check out part 2 here and part 3 here!)
Thank you so much!! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Keep [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u]! I’ve always adored this name. It’s a beautiful classic, and has such a pretty sound. So many nickname possibilities as well! :heart:

1 Like

Your style to me is ‘familiar but currently underused and unexpected’ and the ones that fit that vibe for me are

Natalie
This feels very you - fun and great rhythm

Zoe
Short and sweet

Leah

Claire
Sleek but friendly

Samantha

Kimberly
[name_u]Love[/name_u] the rhythm of this - again, feels very you

Summer

1 Like

I like [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] & [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], but they’re too common.
I also like [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Summer[/name_f] & [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]. I’ve only ever come across 1 [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] and 1 [name_f]Leah[/name_f], and I’ve never met or heard of a [name_f]Summer[/name_f] or [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]. So these names should stay.

1 Like

okay so I’m going to go based on how I’ve seen you talk about the names you love, instead of going with my personal preferences!

For you, I like:
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]

All of these names give off the nostalgic, familiar vibe your other names do, while still remaining current but not too popular (for the youngest generation, I mean!)

(I also love [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], & [name_f]Summer[/name_f]!)

1 Like

Keep [name_f]Summer[/name_f]! I think it fits the nostalgic vibes of your other choices and at the same time it feels timeless to me. :blush:
I also like [name_f]Emma[/name_f]/Emily for you but I do prefer [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] so I would choose that over [name_f]Emma[/name_f].
I would keep [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] as well. It’s so bright and happy like [name_f]Summer[/name_f].

1 Like

Fun, fun!
Part one, for you I love:

Abigail
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Samantha[/name_f]
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]

For my own taste, I would choose [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] from these, so that is my top pick. But I would be most excited to see you use [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u].

1 Like

Such a great list!

My overall top picks for you–names I really like independently and think would fit in perfectly with your set–are [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Summer[/name_f]. They both have such a happy, friendly, vibe and feel a little bit nostalgic. I can totally see them as sisters for your current set!

In terms of fit with your existing picks, I’d also add: [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Samantha[/name_f], [name_u]Andrea[/name_u], [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u], [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], [name_u]Brooke[/name_u].

In terms of names I love, regardless of fit, I’d add: [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f]. I think any of these could work, and they’re great names, but they feel a little more different from your existing list imo.

Emma and [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] feel quite current to me and [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] feel more timeless. I honestly don’t think there’s a single name on your list that wouldn’t work, though!

1 Like

@NimbleNymph Thank you! I do adore [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] - I also love the Full House connection (one of the many, many reasons why I adore [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] too!), [name_f]Kimmy[/name_f] Gibbler was also a favourite of mine :stuck_out_tongue:

@greyblue - I love that description! I think familiar yet unexpected is perfect to explain why I like so many of the names on my list! :sparkling_heart: I agree, [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] and [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] do feel very me! Thank you!

@carys1 - I was wondering about the popularity of a few of these, versus the popularity of say, [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] LOL. In [name_f]Canada[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] seem to be pretty popular still, but [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] is more from my generation (late 90s-early 00s). It is still super common though. Thank you! I know a couple of Leahs, [name_f]Summers[/name_f] and [name_m]Brookes[/name_m], but no Zoes (this spelling, anyways!).

@regionlatbest - Thank you so much! I kind of like that sweet spot between the nostalgia and still feeling current enough to work today! :sparkling_heart:

@whatchamacallit - I do love [name_f]Summer[/name_f]! And I think I may agree with you on [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] - [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] feels much more unusual where I am anyways!

@hyacinthbucket -Thank you! LOL it appears [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u], [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] and [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] are quite common ones for me to keep! I do definitely love [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] - it’s so sweet.

@dandy_orchid - Thank you so much! I know what you mean about them all feeling like they’d work, that’s what makes it so difficult! :joy:

3 Likes

I’m campaigning for [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], and [name_f]Claire[/name_f] here. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Because I know [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] is a collective favorite, [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is more amazing than I’ll ever be able to say, and [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] just suits you. It’s a happy medium between Stéphanie and [name_f]Zoey[/name_f] for me.

1 Like
  1. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Emma[/name_f]! It is pretty popular – has been and probably will continue to be for quite some time – which might be a downside as a lot of your names are fading out of style and will be more unique on any girls born in this decade. Still, what can I say? [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is popular for a reason! But you do have [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] on your list, which is a great alternative and too close to be a sister name anyway.
  2. [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] - [name_m]Even[/name_m] more common than [name_f]Emma[/name_f]! I like the name in general, but I’m getting a little tired of all the Abbys. They are as common as the Maddies, which make them feel a little too expected anymore. I’d probably leave this one off. Others like this: [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f].
  3. [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] - This one is fairly popular among kids I’ve met, as well as most other ages under 30, but not too the point where it’s overused. I think it could be a contender for your list. Though it feels a bit younger in style than [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] and [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], it definitely feels like a sister for [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]!
  4. [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] - Definitely fits the feel of the rest of your list. I’ve known so many Natalies that it’s kind of boring at this point for me, but none under 17…so there’s that.
  5. [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] - [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] is super cute! It’s really not popular where I live, despite its Top 100 status, so it sounds fresh and appealing to me. I prefer it to [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], so I think it could be a definite option for you. The only drawback is that it doesn’t really have the same retro vibe as [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], and the rest. But, then again, neither do [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] and [name_f]Joanna[/name_f].
  6. [name_f]Leah[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Leah[/name_f]! It’s such an quite, unassuming classic. This is definitely a favorite of mine, and it works so well with [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] and [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] particularly.
  7. [name_f]Claire[/name_f] - I like [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. It’s perfectly sweet and sensible, and I like its tailored yet feminine look and feel. Not my favorite, but it definitely fits in well with the rest of your list.
  8. [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] - Oh, I really like [name_f]Samantha[/name_f]! This one for sure gets a vote from me. It was popular in the '80s-'90s, but it doesn’t feel too outdated to be wearable today. I can easily see it working well with a lot of your favorites, and it has such a pretty, classic sound on its own.
  9. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] - So sweet! I love [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]. Unfortunately, it’s lost some of its shine because [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]/Sofia is so incredibly common. It’s kind of like [name_f]Emma[/name_f] – I love it, but the popularity would make me hesitate a little.
  10. [name_u]Andrea[/name_u] - A perfect fit with the rest of your list. Not my favorite, personally, but it doesn’t feel overused like [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] or [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] or other of her contemporaries. [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] feels the same for me.
  11. [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] - This one is tough. In my generation, it’s up there with [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_u]Madison[/name_u], and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] for most common. But it hasn’t remained popular the way those three have, which gives it some appeal. I think it would be refreshing to meet a little [name_f]Rachel[/name_f]! I think this one definitely would feel at home on your list.
  12. [name_f]Summer[/name_f] - I’m not sure on this one. It could fit in with the rest of your list well, but it doesn’t quite have the same vibe, imo.
  13. [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] - Definitely! I love this one for you. I think it has more class and staying power than the more popular [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u].
  14. [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] - Mmm…very sweet, but doesn’t really match the vibe of the rest of your favorites, imho.

Overall, of this list, I’m going to say [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Samantha[/name_f], [name_u]Andrea[/name_u], [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u], [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], and [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] deserve to be strong contenders. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Joanna[/name_f], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], and [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] are so lovely :sob: Great choices!! Including the others too.

Keep:
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] - so cute, chic, and charming! I picture a beautiful, witty, down-to-earth girl named [name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f] - it’s in line with your other names, like [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], and it is timeless too.
[name_f]Claire[/name_f] - adorable and classic, such an amazing name, sounds like a heroine to me!
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] - also seems like your style! I like it a lot

The others I would say are pretty awesome, but still don’t make the final cut, especially:

[name_f]Emma[/name_f] - always cute, but it’s popularity as #1 in the world makes it insanely boring right now, it’s gotta go! lol
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] - same with [name_f]Emma[/name_f], but this name is a bit better because its seems to be overshadowed now by [name_f]Emma[/name_f], still I would lose it
Chloe - also too popular and overdone right now

1 Like

I’d recommend for you to keep [name_f]Hope[/name_f], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]!
The one that I would talk you out of is probably [name_u]Andrea[/name_u]! I’ve met 2 [name_m]Andreas[/name_m] and they are both quite unpleasant! I think of it as quite a dull name but whatever floats your boat!

1 Like

Keep these ones!
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] - I love both [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f], but [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is so popular now that [name_f]Emily[/name_f] almost feels unexpected again.
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f] - I love that [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] sounds so modern but is literally ancient at the same time. And it doesn’t get much better than “life” for a meaning!
[name_f]Claire[/name_f] - Tailored, feminine, timeless, beautiful meaning. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it.
[name_f]Hope[/name_f] - So underused as a first name!! I think it’s lovely.

Ditch these ones.
[name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] - [name_f]My[/name_f] college roommate was named [name_u]Kim[/name_u] (I’m recently graduated) and it still always felt outdated.
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f] - I have serious [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] fatigue.
[name_f]Leah[/name_f] - I don’t like the way this name looks written down? Petty, but true.
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u] - I just don’t think [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] has a pretty sound.
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f] - I want to like it, but she feels cutesy and I don’t think she’ll age as well.

I would also keep [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] and [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] as middle name options. I’m so over [name_u]Abby[/name_u] and [name_u]Sam[/name_u], but the full names are nice.

1 Like

@ashthedreamer - Thank you! [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] is a collective favourite for sure, although he’s seemed less enchanted with it lately? I’m not sure if it’s just a passing thing or not, lol!

@elanorelle - Thank you for such indepth feedback!! This is super helpful for me when considering what to keep and what to ditch!

@blondeberry1 - Thank you! :sparkling_heart: I’m trying to convince S/O on [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] :stuck_out_tongue: He likes it, but doesn’t love it. Thankfully we’re a little ways off from having kids so I have time to change his mind :wink: I do worry about the popularity of [name_f]Emma[/name_f]/Emily and [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] a little, I work with children and although I don’t know a lot of them, I do hear them more than my other favourites LOL.

@EllieHope4824 - Thank you! I also know of one unpleasant [name_u]Andrea[/name_u], but I can’t help but think about how well it fits with my other names! I’ve always been fond of the sound, but I’m not sure I can get past the connection now that I think about it!

@QuirkFlower - Thank you! I’d definitely avoid the nn [name_u]Sam[/name_u] for [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] if I used it - I prefer just [name_f]Samantha[/name_f]!

2 Likes

I was afraid I went a little overboard there, but I love just talking about names! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I would keep [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] & [name_f]Hope[/name_f], I feel they fit well with the other names you have decided as your top favourites

1 Like

@elanorelle - No worries!! I love talking about them too!!

@sarah1694 - Thank you!! :slight_smile:

Since you have so many names to narrow down, I’m going to be super nitpicky - but, like, in a loving and supportive way! :laughing:

In context with the names you’re keeping, I would eliminate [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] (because you’re keeping [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]), [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], and [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] (because you’re keeping [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]), and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] (because you’re keeping [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]).

You also have some names in the list of contenders that you would probably have to choose between:

• [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] - Because of how close these names are in sound, you likely couldn’t use them in the same sibset. Between the two, I personally prefer [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], with those beautiful soft consonants at the beginning, but I think [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] blends better with the names on your keep list.
  • [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Claire[/name_f] - Another set of names with very similar sounds. Very difficult to decide between! However, if you kept [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] from the previous pair, that would eliminate [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] and make room for [name_f]Claire[/name_f] on the keep list.
  • [name_f]Leah[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] - in the Biblical story, these sisters were pitted against each other (the man who wanted to marry [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] was tricked into marrying [name_f]Leah[/name_f] instead), so you may not want to use them in the same sibset. Between the two, I like [name_f]Leah[/name_f]'s sound, but the meaning of “weary-eyed” puts me off. I would vote to keep [name_f]Rachel[/name_f].

That leaves:

• [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] - goes beautifully with the rest of your list. Vote: Keep!
  • [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] - lovely name that definitely fits in stylistically with the rest of your keepers. It would make for lots of -ie endings, but maybe that could tie the sibset together. Vote: Soft Keep.
  • [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] - definitely fits stylistically with the rest of your keep list. Personally, I don’t have many positive associations with this name. Vote: Soft Discard.
  • [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] - a classic, timeless name. Very popular, but that doesn’t seem to be a negative for you. Vote: Soft Keep.
  • [name_u]Andrea[/name_u] - a great fit stylistically with several of your keeper names, like [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] and [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]. Less common while still being familiar and wearable. Vote: Keep.
  • [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] - I love this with your keep names! Very much fits into the era that I get from your names. Vote: Keep!
  • [name_f]Summer[/name_f] - a little bit of a departure, stylistically, but I have a lot that biases me towards this name - it’s a word name (love), kind of a nature name (love), and it’s my sister’s name (extra love!). Vote: Keep!
  • [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] - while this definitely fits into the era that I am associating with the rest of your keep list, it’s stylistically not as harmonious, and the short, clipped syllable doesn’t have the movement and flow of the other names on your list. Vote: Discard.
  • [name_f]Hope[/name_f] - this name definitely feels out of place for me with the rest of your list. Your keep names all have a jaunty, nineties vibe to them, whereas [name_f]Hope[/name_f] feels much more subdued and pious. Vote: Discard.
2 Likes

@lavenderwitch - I love this, thank you! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like