Talk me into (or out of) this name!

I feel like I’ve posted about this more times than I should, but I keep second-guessing myself. We still have three months until our baby boy arrives, but with our older children, [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name], we had names ready when we found out the gender! With this one, we just can’t seem to settle. A girl would have been [name]Eliza[/name].

[name]Elliot[/name] is our leading contender. It’s a name that was a favorite for a long time. As a teacher, I had one who was a bit of a rough ride, but it’s been a long time and I think I’m over that. I also think it works very well with our other children’s names. I’m not a big fan of [name]Elijah[/name] or the nn [name]Eli[/name]. We’ve thought of [name]Ellis[/name] or [name]Leo[/name] as a possible nn for [name]Elliot[/name].

However, while I feel it’s our best choice so far, I’m not in love with it, the way I was (and am) totally in love with [name]Oliver[/name]. I love it every single time I say it. I’m also a tiny bit hesitant about the fact that [name]Elliot[/name] has become more of a gender neutral name. So… what to do? I feel like I spend so much time looking at names that I’ve become a bit desensitized to them. My style seems to be classic/British/old man names. I’ll list some other names I like and would [name]LOVE[/name] any suggestions you have or thoughts on how these names sound/work together! Thank you so much.

Top tier:
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]

Second tier:
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]

I’m sure there are some I’m forgetting, but you get the idea. Thank you again!

[name]Elliot[/name] is a great name! Classic and stylish, but not trendy. Great choice!

[name]Elliot[/name] [name]Simon[/name] is really nice. I’m not a fan of it personally, but [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Henry[/name] has a really nice ring to it also.

I like [name]Elliot[/name] but i dont think of it as an old man/ british / classic name…

I really like [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Simon[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] for your sib set!

What about…

[name]Edward[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

I love [name]Simon[/name] for your sibset. I do like [name]Elliot[/name] a lot too, but have the same problem with it that you do. There are just too many female Elliots.

I like [name]Elliot[/name]! I wouldn’t shy away from it just because some moms are using it for girls - I think that’s silly, why should we give up perfectly good boys’ names? They’ll just go on to appropriate more of the ones we love and soon there will be none left!

With that being said, [name]Elliot[/name] isn’t my favorite on your list - that would definitely go to [name]Felix[/name], especially with your other children [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name]. I think those three names just sound so wonderful together! Best wishes. :slight_smile:

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Elliot[/name]! It is not gender neutral AT ALL. There are crazy people who name their kids all kinds of masculine names (sorry if that’s offensive, I really really hate the trend). I really can’t see this name being in the top even 500 for girls. [name]Don[/name]'t worry about it and don’t let the girls “win” the name, if that makes sense.

Let’s give this some perspective. According the the SSA list, [name]Elliot[/name] in three of its various spellings are at #301, #315, and #962 for boys. And it has been steadily climbing these past years. Meanwhile, it is not even in the Top 1000 names for girls. It’s silly not to use a name you like just because a small number of girls might have the name. There are girls named [name]James[/name] and [name]Timothy[/name] and [name]Maxwell[/name], too.

I love the name [name]Elliot[/name], it’s on my list, and I would use it without reservation. I think it goes well with [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name].

Having said that, I also like [name]Elias[/name], [name]Simon[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Julian[/name], and [name]Leo[/name].

Go for [name]Elliot[/name]. I think its a great name.

[name]Alistair[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]York[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]

Thank you so much for your ideas. I think the fact that it’s a bit gender neutral wouldn’t stop me from using it. I do like it a lot; I just don’t [name]LOVE[/name] it the way I love [name]Oliver[/name]. I feel a tiny bit like I used up my trophy name on him and nothing else can stand up to it. I know that’s ridiculous, but do you ever feel that way? I bet that as soon as I see my little [name]Elliot[/name], it will be perfect on him, but I’m having a hard time feeling final about it.

I don’t think of [name]Elliot[/name] as a girls name! I also think [name]Elliot[/name] works really well with [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name].

Of the other options I like [name]Felix[/name] (it’s on our list for baby number 2 but I feel the same way about it as you feel about [name]Elliot[/name]), [name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] (our son’s name), [name]Milo[/name] (although I prefer [name]Miles[/name]), [name]Julian[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] (our son’s middle name).

[name]Oliver[/name], [name]Annabel[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] sound great together.

Good luck, I’m sure if you use [name]Elliot[/name] that you will very quickly come to love the name!

do [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Eli[/name]…best of bboth worlds

I love [name]Elliot[/name]!! [name]One[/name] of my fav boys names. [name]Oliver[/name] is another of my favs. I think it is normal to not be as in love with another name as a previous one.

I really like [name]Elliot[/name] - it’s actually my cat’s name but if it hadn’t been, I would have chosen it for my son. We ended up naming him [name]Milo[/name], so I think we have similar tastes in names. From your list I also really love [name]Simon[/name], [name]Felix[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name], all great classic names. Have you considered [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Ezra[/name] or [name]August[/name]/[name]Gus[/name]? Those were a few others on our list when we had [name]Milo[/name]. Good luck with whatever you choose!

It is hard when you use up your first love! But you do seem settled on [name]Elliot[/name] now so I wish you the best of luck, a quick and safe delivery, and a very healthy baby boy!! <3

Very true! [name]Elliot[/name] is NOT gender neutral, it is a boys name. [name]One[/name] of my favorite boy names. I would not use a nn with the name [name]Elliot[/name]-a nn is completely unnecessary for this name. From your list I adore [name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Theo[/name].