Talk me out of Emmaleigh?

Yes, I know I just posted something similar this. And I don’t like [name_f]Emily[/name_f], although [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is okay. I just hope my tastes will change by the time I’m pregnant.

And I want to be talked OUT, not in.

well my name is [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and I really don’t like it. It’s overly common and unoriginal and people always have pre-conceptions about it because they’ve met someone with the name that they don’t like. But the one thing I am glad for is that it’s easy to spell and pronounce. I think it would be quite annoying if I still had the overbearingly popular pronunciation but a unique spelling as it would just get confusing. Also, in my opinion it just doesn’t look very appealing written down, it’s too heavy looking.

5 Likes

20 years from now [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] is going to sound like it was a trendy thing back in the 2010/2020s when everyone thought it was a good idea to add ley and leigh and spell things creatively.

And whenever little emmaleigh says her name and then has to spell it for a teacher or at the doctor’s office there might be a bit of an eyeroll reaction like “ok, did [name_f]Emily[/name_f] really have to be complicated like this”? and that would get frustrating for parent and child.

I get it though, there is something more appealing about the leigh spelling, but it’s just going to seem so outdated and trendy in a few years. You might want to try for something a little less trendy.

5 Likes

I personally try to avoid “creative spellings”, and [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] is just a case of a more difficult time for a girl to spell out their name, in my opinion. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t see the appeal at all. This spelling will cause lots of corrections and I agree with the previous comment about it being a trendy thing just now.
Have you considered Amelie, Amelia, Amalia, Emmeline, Amelina, Amabel?

4 Likes

Honestly I just see “leigh” endings to be really boring. They’re a bit overdone IMO

2 Likes

[name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] looks really funny to me, like two names just smooshed together. I love the simple elegance of [name_f]Emma[/name_f] on its own, so [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] seems like an attempt to make it seem more modern/trendy.

3 Likes

It’s unnecessarily long and I don’t like how -leigh looks.

4 Likes

Emma and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] are not related names
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] is nice I guess

Isn’t [name_f]Emma[/name_f] a diminutive of [name_f]Emily[/name_f]?

Some reasons I dislike [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f]

1. constant spelling corrections. Everyone will automatically write “[name_f]Emily[/name_f].”
  2. the name is trying so hard to be trendy. it’s taking the simplicity of [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and adding Southern mom spellings to try to make it trendy.
  3. -leigh does not look good and has tons of negative connotations
  4. You might choose [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] to get to the nn [name_f]Emma[/name_f], but I’m sure most people think that [name_f]Emma[/name_f] can be a nn of [name_f]Emily[/name_f] itself
4 Likes

No, [name_f]Emma[/name_f] comes from a [name_m]German[/name_m] element “ermen” which means “whole”. [name_f]Emily[/name_f] comes from the Latin Aemilius meaning “rival”.

Emma and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] are both incredibly tired and boring imo. [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] is a combination of their overuse.

4 Likes

No. [name_f]Emily[/name_f] is Latin, from the name Aemilius and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is [name_m]German[/name_m], originally a diminutive of Ermen- names.

4 Likes

If I were talking you out of it, I would say [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] are pretty much the same name, and she would likely have to correct misspellings often.

1 Like

What about the double barrel [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] ?

1 Like

(NMS, but not bad. Not bad at all.)

How can you like [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] but not [name_f]Emily[/name_f]? Id rather be a girl named [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] than a boy named [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Its actually a pretty good name compared to a lot of things I see on the forums lol. I don’t hold anything against “creative spellings.”

OK. I think names with leigh in them (other than just [name_u]Leigh[/name_u]) are unattractive. I do not like the trend. Teachers do not like the trend. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I’m talking you out of it, Emmaleigh loses all the classic beauty and simplicity of Emily but still keeps its popularity problems.

In other words she’ll still be called Emmaleigh D. In class because of the 4 other Emily’s. However she’ll have to spell her name out for everyone she meets. And the spelling will make the name feel dated.

(Also just as a side not ‘Leigh’ Isn’t phonetic and therefore harder to learn how to spell, though in my experience this isn’t too big of a deal because kindergarten teachers are awesome)

1 Like

Sorry but [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] looks clunky and unattractive

1 Like