Talk to me About Rubeus

There was a little bit of discussion in this post a while back

Rubeus

But I’m looking for input on the precise feel/vibe, imagery, and style of Rubeus.

What are the general impressions? Would you be happy to meet one? What would you suspect a Rubeus to be like?

Thanks, Berries!

Okay, so…[name_m]Hagrid[/name_m], first of all. That’s honestly all I can think of. But he’s a great character, so that’s not a negative thing. I think it would be really cool and fun, if you don’t mind the association. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Immediate [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] association. If you can get past that, then I think it’s a lovely, soft sounding boy name! Very similar sound and vibe as [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]!

1 Like

I agree with the others, my first thought is [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m]. I like [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m] but it’s a really strong association to me. Of course some people may not even know [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m]’s first name and so may not make the connection. Other than that, I do like the sound of the name and I would be happy to meet a little Rubeus. [name_u]Rue[/name_u] would be a cute nn. :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow! So striking and unforgettable. Very latin sounding. This is one of the few names I have never heard. I think it is sort of a male version of [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] (thought [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] is technically unisex). Very dark and warm. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!!!

3 Likes

I suppose I should follow up and say that the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] association is a bonus in my eyes. I understand that more so than some other similar [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] names like [name_m]Remus[/name_m], Rubeus would be more tied to the character based on rarity/lack of general use throughout history in popular culture. But it doesn’t bother me, endears me to the name in what I love of [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m], but also I could get over peoples’ reaction to it being, “Like [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m]?” That part doesn’t bother me much. But are there other impressions of the personality or the imagery conveyed?

2 Likes

Rubeus [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m]. Nice guy.

I also think of the [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] sandwich I believe it’s called? So not a great name for me personally but it does have a nice ring to it!

1 Like

I knew it sounded familiar, but my mind didn’t connect immediately to [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m]. Now that it has, there may not be any going back.

It’s a bit strong for me, but I love [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]. In the grand scheme, Rubeus isn’t that far off.

1 Like

I thought of [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m], but I’m a huge [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] fan and a name nerd, and I think most people might not remember that’s his first name since he almost exclusively is referred to by his surname in the book. I think it has a lovely sound!

2 Likes

So while I think fans of the books or anyone who has read them will immediately think of [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m], I don’t think it will be an obvious association to people outside the fandom, even people who may have watched the movies if they didn’t read the books. As far as a fandom choice goes, this doesn’t seem unreasonable, and Rubeus really is a lovely name. Warm and soft but substantial.

3 Likes

[name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] is my first association, I do admit but i think it’s similarity to [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] makes it feel more usable

1 Like

I admit my first thought is of Rubeus [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m] but that’s a positive association for me. It’s rugged but warm and kind. The Latin source makes it sound a but scholarly as well. I like it!

1 Like

I agree with these assessments and that its similarities to [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] benefit its usability.

I also love this bit.

I have been watching the Netflix series On [name_f]My[/name_f] Block and I love the character [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]. I like the idea here of [name_u]Rue[/name_u] as a nickname but my preference right now would be [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] or [name_u]Robbie[/name_u] (à la [name_u]Robbie[/name_u] [name_m]Coltrane[/name_m]).

Alright… based on what I’m hearing here (I can get on board with instant [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m] association and also [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] sandwiches, lol) I’m solidly sticking Rubeus in my first name pile of contenders for our third bub. Thanks everyone for your candid impressions!

3 Likes