Taran?

What do we think about [name_u]Taran[/name_u] for a boy’s name? I am obsessed with [name_m]Oakes[/name_m] but my wife hates it. Her favorite is [name_u]Holden[/name_u] which I like, but I just can’t disassociate with Catcher in the Rye.

What do you all think about Taran? Any other suggestions based on the names we like? Brother is [name_m]Ames[/name_m], and No. 2 would have been [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] if he’d been a girl.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Check out The Chronicles of Prydain! [name_u]Taran[/name_u] is the main character and undergoes much development. He’s well-rounded and a good leader by the end.

[name_u]Taran[/name_u] sounds similar enough to the girlish [name_f]Tara[/name_f], which gives it some familiarity, but it’s also still distinct. I quite like this name.

3 Likes

It fits beautifully with your other son’s name. It sounds strong and distinctive. I like it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

[name_u]Taran[/name_u] is pretty cool!

You might like

[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_m]Talon[/name_m]
[name_m]Torin[/name_m]
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]
[name_m]Selwyn[/name_m]
[name_u]Declan[/name_u]
[name_m]Baxter[/name_m]
[name_u]Roscoe[/name_u]

2 Likes

I like Taran! I actually know a little one, probably aged around 18 months now. It’s cool and strong with lots of personality.

You might like…

[name_m]Torin[/name_m]
[name_u]Marlow[/name_u] (I love this spelling for a boy)
[name_m]Oran[/name_m]
[name_m]Wells[/name_m]
[name_u]Roscoe[/name_u]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Clark[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_u]Fox[/name_u]
[name_u]Indy[/name_u]
[name_m]Ruben[/name_m]
[name_u]Hollis[/name_u]
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_m]Ivar[/name_m]

1 Like

I quite enjoy it! It seems strong and distinctive. Personally, I think [name_u]Holden[/name_u] is usable, but if you can’t get past the association [name_u]Taran[/name_u] seems like a good choice!

I would instrinctively say tah-RAAN but could easily be corrected to TAR-ahn (assuming one of those is the correct pronunciation :joy:)

1 Like

I think it’s more like tare-en!

2 Likes

I like it!

I do like it with [name_m]Ames[/name_m], though the only Taryns I know are both women, spelled like this. I prefer [name_m]Terrence[/name_m] I think, or, agreeing with tfzolghadr, [name_m]Torin[/name_m] or [name_u]Tobin[/name_u] with Ames.

I know one male Tarin. [name_u]Taran[/name_u] reminds me of The [name_m]Black[/name_m] Cauldron :slight_smile:

I think it’s cool and unusual. It reminds of [name_u]Taron[/name_u] Egerton, the actor.

[name_u]Taran[/name_u] is wonderful I love it, but being part Welsh I’m won over by most Celtic names.

Other suggestions:
[name_u]Tarian[/name_u]
[name_u]Auden[/name_u]
[name_u]Aidan[/name_u]
[name_m]Matan[/name_m]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Ronen[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_m]Conan[/name_m]
Cillian/Killian
Ciaran/Kieran
[name_m]Kier[/name_m]
[name_u]Ashton[/name_u]
[name_u]Oakley[/name_u]
Oaken
[name_u]Alwyn[/name_u]
[name_m]Aneirin[/name_m]
[name_u]Osian[/name_u]
[name_m]Ewan[/name_m]
[name_u]Evan[/name_u]
[name_m]Eoin[/name_m]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]

I love [name_u]Taran[/name_u]! It means thunder, and I find it so masculine and powerful, but also sweet. Goes so good with your oldest.

Also, I think a little about [name_u]Taran[/name_u] and the [name_u]Magic[/name_u] Cauldron, and I love the association :smiley:

Make me think of:

[name_m]Theron[/name_m]
[name_m]Theon[/name_m]
[name_m]Arun[/name_m]
[name_m]Aslan[/name_m]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Conan[/name_m]