I’m sure I’m not the only one on Nameberry who is considering getting some ink right now. I thought this would be a good place to discuss our ideas for design and placement.
Here are my top five ideas, though I probably won’t actually be getting five tattoos (immortal last words, I know!):
- A [name_u]Van[/name_u] Gogh iris on my shoulder with the stem above my collarbone, with the word “rêve” on the side of the stem, so that the circumflex kind of looks like the leaf of the iris.
I would get this tattoo because [name_u]Van[/name_u] Gogh painted the Irises when he was in an asylum, and it would remind me that even when my own mental health is a struggle, I still have the capacity to create and witness beautiful things. “Rêve” is [name_m]French[/name_m] for “dream,” like a daydream.
- A blackwork lamppost from [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] on my back, where the children find their way back to the real world.
I would get this tattoo because the “[name_f]Narnia[/name_f]” books were always my favorite growing up. They reminded me that there are escapes to be found from every bad situation, if only you believe.
- A navy-colored circle with a blue whale inside of it, among the waves of the sea. This would be on the back of my leg.
I would get this tattoo because whales are my favorite animal, with blue whales being the closest to my heart. They are mysterious and majestic, and having one on my body would remind me of the beauty in this planet.
- Another blackwork piece, this time on my thigh, of a prairie scene full of prairie grass and a little ranch house in the distance.
I would get this tattoo because it is my dream to own a farm someday, and having this picturesque image of a calming day on the fields would encourage me to keep working towards that goal in any way possible.
- A triangular celestial scene on my upper arm, with a black silhouette of a little girl standing amongst the stars.
I would get this tattoo because it is all about stepping into the unknown, and finding magic there. I too often resist change.
What tattoos are you thinking of getting? Where and why? And what do you think of my ideas?