Tattoo ideas?

Wasn’t sure where to post this because it’s sort of relating to names but not directly. Anyway… I always said when I had kids I’d get a tattoo to symbolize them. Since I had my first baby just a few days ago, and even before he was born, I’ve been thinking a lot about what tattoo would work well to symbolize him. For example, if he was a girl, his name would’ve been [name_f]Elowyn[/name_f] [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and I was going to get a tattoo of an elm leaf (Elowyn means elm tree) and possibly with a sprig of sage next to it. I don’t want anything that would be too obvious, like no names or letters, birthday, footprints, or anything too direct like that. [name_m]Just[/name_m] something that would be symbolic. So my problem now is that his name is [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u], and I cannot think of any symbols that would relate to his name. I considered a globe to symbolize [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] but I’m not sure if I’m a huge fan of that as a tattoo. And I considered doing something that would relate to the show Criminal Minds which is where his name came from, but also can’t think of anything that would symbolize that show without it being too macabre. Maybe a brain? But I also just graduated with my psychology degree and wouldn’t want people to mistake the tattoo as symbolizing that instead. [name_m]Can[/name_m] anyone think of anything? I don’t need to do the middle name, but feel free to share any ideas you can come up with for either name.

5 Likes

You could do an actual atlas, like a map

It’s less direct, but since [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] means ‘bearer of the heavens,’ if you don’t want a globe/map tattoo, maybe something with clouds to represent the heavens/sky?

2 Likes

I’m pondering the same about a tattoo and like you don’t want anything obvious. I was thinking I would wait a few more months and this what kinda baby animal he resembles l, maybe bear cub or wolf pup… some ideas I’ve screen shotted

1 Like

I love the idea of maps or the heavens/skies!

What about a compass or a hand holding a compass? :compass: That would hold so much meaning to both his middle name, & to always find “home” within eachother.

I’ve never seen Criminal Minds, but what about a Magnifying Glass over a brain, or something like that? :mag:

2 Likes

This probably isn’t relevant unless you’re interested in Greek Mythology, but maybe a mountain with a tiny person and the sky is touching the top of the mountain. Like how in mythology [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] held up the sky on top of a mountain.

2 Likes

Funny you post this, I just today booked in a tattoo for [name_m]Thursday[/name_m] for my son. His name is [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], often called Roo, so the tattoo is of Roo from [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] the Pooh!

I really like the idea of a globe, and I like PPs ideas of a magnifying glass, although I don’t recall ever seeing them used in CM, I think it’s cute! I thought of maybe the front of a crime scene file, with the paper clip etc. You could add G. A. in the name bit, or leave it blank, depending on how big you want the tattoo to be. But in all honesty, the globe idea is my favourite. You can have a magnifying glass on the globe, too.

2 Likes

Aw such a cute tattoo idea! I love the crime file idea, thank you!

1 Like

I’ve also thought about this kind of tattoo for future kids. Maybe you could do a map, but not something as big as a globe, just a smaller map showing your home town or a place special to you?

This is a jewlery site, but it’s a cool tool for visualizing what a minimal map might look like, it’s super fun to play with!

Here are some examples:

1 Like

Oh I also like the suggestion of a compass, or you could do a compass rose from an atlas/map

2 Likes

What about a map of the heavens, like a constellation?

1 Like