Teasing '-as' names

Does anyone have a son or has anyone heard experiences of boys with names ending in ‘as’ get teased about the similarity of a certain bad word that means rear end?
(I would type it but i think Nameberry would censor it)
such as: [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], [name_u]Elias[/name_u], [name_m]Lucas[/name_m], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_m]Josias[/name_m], [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]…

I’m trying to narrow down my boy name list! This baby needs a name come [name_f]September[/name_f] 25th!
:confused:

No? Because the -as ending doesn’t sound like ass. At least in my accent. Honestly, in my experience name teasing is really not a thing.

Never. Then again, I’m also a #foreigner, so what would I know. In all honesty though, if children want to, they will find ways to tease with every name. If you had to exclude every name that could potentially having some teasing elements in it, your list would be very limited.

Ok! Thanks

I’m so glad you asked this because [name_u]Aspen[/name_u] made it’s way onto my list… but… Ass [name_u]Pen[/name_u]. Hmm.

But no, can’t say I’ve ever heard teasing of this nature. Name teasing in my experience is a real and horrible thing, but I don’t think you can really avoid it if it is going to happen. Some people (like me) are just easy targets for teasing. If you are an easy target, someone will probably find a way to tease you using your name, no matter what that name happens to be.

[QUOTE=mirimouse;2945800]I’m so glad you asked this because [name_u]Aspen[/name_u] made it’s way onto my list… but… Ass [name_u]Pen[/name_u]. Hmm.
/QUOTE]

I don’t think that with [name_u]Aspen[/name_u] at all.

I think you are fine with naming your sons [name_m]Lucas[/name_m],[name_m]Jonas[/name_m], etc.

I’ve never heard it, either! I know a [name_m]Josias[/name_m] and an [name_u]Elias[/name_u] in real life, and never heard of that type of teasing for either. I don’t think I know a [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] or a [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] (although [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] is hard to believe! It’s such a popular name), but I find it hard to believe that they’d get that teasing. I don’t know. I have that concern with [name_m]Titus[/name_m] especially (especially because I can get “t!ts” and “tight @ss” out of it, and I wouldn’t want either teasing, and it seems more prone with [name_m]Titus[/name_m] to me…), but I love so many -as/-us names ([name_m]Linus[/name_m], [name_u]Elias[/name_u], [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], [name_m]Matthias[/name_m], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], etc., etc.!), andlikely wouldn’t let that talk me out of it, especially since I haven’t come across anyone enduring mocking for that reason, and a lot of them have very usable nns ([name_m]Eli[/name_m], [name_m]Matt[/name_m], [name_u]Si[/name_u], [name_m]Luke[/name_m], [name_u]Toby[/name_u], [name_u]Joey[/name_u], [name_u]Joss[/name_u], etc.).

In my accent names that end in -as sound like “us” not “@ss” so I don’t think it’s a problem.

I have a friend named [name_u]Kassidy[/name_u] with ass right in the name and pronounced the same (unlike lucas etc) and she has never had a problem with that so I think you’re fine :slight_smile:

No, I don’t think that will be a problem. The endings of those names sound more like -us. :slight_smile:

I don’t think it would be a problem. I say if you like an -as name stick with it.

I have never heard of that being a problem.

mmm, i am also worried about this, [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] is one of my favourites, but… To-Buy-Ass???

I’ve never heard of anyone getting teased for an ‘ass’ sound in their name (I know an [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], [name_m]Kaspar[/name_m], [name_m]Massimo[/name_m], [name_m]Nassim[/name_m], [name_u]Aspen[/name_u], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_m]Aston[/name_m] off the top of my head), and I agree that names like [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_u]Elias[/name_u], [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] etc don’t really have an ‘ass’ sound in them anyway. To be fair, it isn’t really a very impressive insult here (we have a similar-sounding ruder word for buttocks - Arsinoe would be riskier than [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]). Still, the American usage is well-known among children.

That said, if children are going to tease someone they’ll find a way - [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] could become “Is-a-smell-a”, [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] could be “a-liar” or “pee-lijhah”. Or they might go for the child’s last name, which is harder still to avoid. No name is ever entirely ‘safe’, so it’s really not worth worrying too much about.