Teasing at school

Hi berry family,
I would like to ask your opinion on the name [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], my husband and I like this name but we are hesitant because of the association with the security camera brand that shares the same name, [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]!
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think this is a bad association and can cause Potential teasing at school?
What do you think of this name in general For a someone who will live in the states?

Thanks,

Iā€™ve never heard of the security camera brand. Also, even if his classmates have heard of it, a security camera brand isnā€™t an embarrassing thing to share a name with, so I donā€™t think heā€™d be teased.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never even heard of that brand before. [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] is gaining in popularity, so itā€™s definitely not going to be an unheard of name for your sons generation and I canā€™t imagine it would encourage any teasing, certainly not about the security camera brand.

1 Like

Iā€™m in the US. Iā€™ve never heard of that brand before, but then I donā€™t actively go search for the brand names. Iā€™m sure most kids will not know brand names of things like security products or the like unless their parents are constantly talking about it. I wouldnā€™t worry about it. It was a name long before it was a brand. I think most kids these days would think of the character in The Good Dinosaur.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the US and have also never heard of the brand. Itā€™s pretty unlikely any kid would know any brand of a security camera unless they have a vested interest in them. Like someone else mentioned, I think kids would be more likely to think of the character from The Good Dinosaur.

1 Like

I honestly had no idea about the security brand? I say use it

1 Like

I think [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] has grown so much in popularity recently that it wonā€™t be a big deal

1 Like

Americanā€¦ never heard of the security brand. [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] is a great name!

1 Like

LOVE the name [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] SO much
[name_u]Haven[/name_u]ā€™t heard of the camera

If not how about [name_u]Milo[/name_u] or [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]

1 Like

May I ask where you live? I know [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] is very popular is Australia and UK now.

Hugo and [name_u]Milo[/name_u] are my favs too! I love O ending boy names!

Arlo is in the top 100 now so I think heā€™ll be fine! Great name.

I think of [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] [name_u]Guthrie[/name_u] actually.

I wouldnā€™t be concerned. It seems like the Americans on here havenā€™t heard of it and even if they had, I donā€™t see why it would cause any teasing. Iā€™ve taught a couple of Arlos actually; itā€™s a lovely name!

If you like boysā€™ names ending in ā€˜oā€™ (as I do), have you thought about [name_m]Elio[/name_m]? Itā€™s one of my favourites (in addition to [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_u]Milo[/name_u], which have been mentioned above).

I am not even aware of this security camera brand. I donā€™t he would get teased because of that.

Iā€™m American and would never have made that association! Itā€™s absolutely usable.

Also have never heard of the brand.

Iā€™ve thought about teasing/bullying a lot in regards to names. If someone wants to bully your kid, they will find a way. I think some names are more prone to teasing than others, but in general, all you can do is prepare your child with the tools to handle bullying. And this goes for every child, regardless of name, family, socioeconomic status, etc.

My name is [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] and I was called the masculine, [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. I was also teased for having the word ā€œhellā€ in my name. Who wouldā€™ve thought, right? :roll_eyes:

So if you love [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], go for it!

I am unfamiliar with the brand so I wouldnā€™t think to jump to that after hearing arlo. I think of the dinosaur from the Disney Pixar the good dinosaur.

I live in the UK

I live in the US, Iā€™ve never heard of that brand before. I think [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] is a fine name. I donā€™t immediately think of anything to tease about.