Teen Name Change Yahoo Parenting Article

I just read this little article about a bi-racial teen who changed her name from [name_f]Keisha[/name_f] to [name_f]Kylie[/name_f] after racially driven teasing from students & others.

I was saddened by the article not only because this girl was ridiculed to the point of legally changing her name so she wouldn’t be identified as black, but also because I like [name_f]Keisha[/name_f] better than [name_f]Kylie[/name_f]. It feels more sophisticated to me.

I just thought I would share the article of this one girl’s story

Aww, poor girl :frowning: No one should have to go through this.

I felt really bad for her.

I must be a much more argumentative person because the racist comments I’ve gotten in the past about my name only made me more stubborn and attached to it, or wanting it to be even more so than what it is. Since a lot of it in my case is tied to my LN I was actually a little sad to contemplate losing that bit of “recognized identity” due to taking my husband’s name.

I like [name_f]Keisha[/name_f] more than [name_f]Kylie[/name_f] too. [name_f]Keisha[/name_f]'s a legit name, it’s derived from [name_f]Ketzia[/name_f]/[name_f]Keziah[/name_f] and from [name_f]Aisha[/name_f].

I’ve also heard [name_f]Ikeisha[/name_f] and maybe it was because the girl I knew by that name was lovely but I always thought it was pretty.

I think [name_f]Keisha[/name_f] is a really nice choice & absolutely a legit name with a great background. I wonder if one day when she moves on from her high school bullies if she will regret giving up [name_f]Keisha[/name_f].