Teenberry Book Club!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!
I thought that this could be a place for teenberries to discuss their favorite books or what they are currently reading. All books are welcome!

I have been reading A Series of Unfortunate Events with my younger sister (who has already read them) and also all of the other Snicket books in the same universe. They are surprisingly deep and interesting for “children’s” books and we love talking about them. I do wish I had read them earlier (I saw the warning on the back of the book as a kid and actually put the book down :no_mouth:, and only started reading after we watched the show.)
I am also reading The [name_f]Guernsey[/name_f] Literary and Potato [name_m]Peel[/name_m] Pie Society, which is written in letters and takes place after WW2. It’s probably meant for adults, but is a great book to read if you want a happy, feel good story in an unconventional format. There’s also a decent Netflix adaptation.

What about you?

Not a Teenberry, but absolutely want to discuss The [name_f]Guernsey[/name_f] Literary and Potato [name_m]Peel[/name_m] Pie Society. I adore that book and the names within it.

Right now I’m reading The Conference of the Birds, the final book in the Miss [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] series. Such names! (Not necessarily ones I always love, but a good naming sense). [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f], [name_m]Enoch[/name_m], [name_f]Noor[/name_f], [name_u]Ellery[/name_u], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]…

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite trilogies that I am currently rereading:

1. The Windy City Magic trilogy by Crystal Cestari ( The Best Kind of Magic , The Sweetest Kind of Fate , and The Fairest Kind of Love ) it sounds cheesy but it’s amazing magical realism plus realistic romance and reallllly well written the main character is so real and sassy and funny and cool!!!

2. The Folk of the Air by Holly Black ( The Cruel Prince , The Wicked King , and The Queen of Nothing ) amazinggggg and really well written faerie fantasy plus a little violence and romance.

Here’s a link to the KotLC thread: Keeper of the Lost Cities!

Random question: What does this mean:
Is it like how many times someone’s clicked on the link or something?

Yup! That’s exactly what it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve only watched the movie The [name_f]Guernsey[/name_f] Literary and Potato [name_m]Peel[/name_m] Pie Society, so I’ll have to read the book at some point! (That may be awhile though!)

I just finished reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time (I can’t decide whether I like it better than Emma or not!) I just started Great Expectations, and I’m really liking it so far! The only other Dickens I’ve read is Christmas [name_f]Carol[/name_f], so I’m really excited to get into this!

I actually never liked reading until I discovered [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u], and now I have a list of about 20 classics that I want to read! (I’m pretty slow, so it will take me a looong time!)

1 Like

I haven’t read any of the previously said answers, so I’m afraid I can’t offer my opinions on those, but I will be adding them to my list!

One of my all time favourites is “The Gentleman’s Guide to [name_m]Vice[/name_m] and [name_f]Virtue[/name_f]” by [name_f]Mackenzi[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u], which is the first in a soon-to-be trilogy. It’s set in the 1700s, and has great representation (LGBT characters, characters of colour, etc.) It also introduced me to what is now one of my favourite female names ([name_f]Felicity[/name_f]).

3 Likes

I think you would enjoy the [name_m]Young[/name_m] Elites trilogy by [name_u]Marie[/name_u] [name_f]Lu[/name_f]. I really, really loved it and it was the book I had wanted to read for a long time- I actually had a similar plot to write but really only wanted to read it. :smile: It’s really dark and interesting fantasy with unusual+fascinating characters and worldbuilding.

2 Likes

The movie is lovely and wonderful for fans of period dramas (so many of the actors and actresses had been in other things like Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u]), but the book is even more clever, funny, strange, and poignant. Okay, now I’ll leave the TeenBerries alone…

1 Like

Ooh, I love the [name_u]Legend[/name_u] series by [name_u]Marie[/name_u] [name_f]Lu[/name_f]!

1 Like

@MG1257- if you don’t mind my asking, how old are you? If you don’t feel comfortable answering, that’s fine, but (since I assume you’re at least younger than twenty) at least are you older than 15 or less than 15? Again, no need to answer either if you don’t want to, I just wanted to get a feel for the relation between books and age.

1 Like

Being in high school, you would’ve thought I had to read more classics, but nope!

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about that! I hope to read that sometime soon :smiley:

I just finished The Hunger Games, and I found it to be very disappointing. Honestly, I couldn’t find it in me to root for [name_f]Katniss[/name_f], and I couldn’t get behind her character at all. I get her reasons for acting the way she did, but I didn’t like her personality at all. The ending was also pretty obvious to me from the beginning, and, while I didn’t mind the story, I didn’t really enjoy the main character.

1 Like

Today I’m starting The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky. I just finished The Trial by [name_m]Kafka[/name_m]. It’s perfect.

@skatercat ASOUE is awesome! Definitely my favourite “children’s” book (I don’t think it is, there are too many things a child wouldn’t understand in it) and it’s Netflix series is awesome too.

@MG1257 I love Great Expectations. Isn’t the name [name_f]Estella[/name_f] too beautiful for a heartless character?

1 Like

Absolutely @penelope_lynson! Though, I think it adds something. Here physical beauty and name were bestowed upon her hoping that she would be sweet and innocent. She had every right to find happiness in her life. Also, Mrs. Havisham is super extra, so of course she chose a lovely name!

1 Like

@penelope_lynson, I so agree about ASOUE! I feel like younger kids would understand the basic story on the surface, but the really interesting part is trying to figure out all of the mysteries that are barely explained, and wondering about their parents’ and Lemony’s generation and all of the things that happened in the past. [name_f]Glad[/name_f] to meet another fan!
Also, do you usually read in Turkish or [name_f]English[/name_f]?

@MG1257, I always want to try to read some of [name_u]Austen[/name_u]’s books, but every time I start, though I really enjoy the style, I always end up picking up something more fast-paced. Maybe I’ll try again soon- I just have so many things on my list!

@nvrsobr, I sort of like the Hunger Games, but agree that the characters are less than amazing. I like the worldbuilding and concept, but it’s not the sort of book that I would reread over and over.

1 Like

Mostly Turkish. It’s too hard to find original [name_f]English[/name_f] editions of books here, they’re mostly shortened for beginners.