Tell me what you really think

We are having a little girl in Feb:) We love the name [name]Sunday[/name] but loathe the fact that it was made famous by [name]Nicole[/name] Kidman and is now deemed a celebrity baby name. The day [name]Sunday[/name] has significant meaning to us and we want to name our baby [name]Sunday[/name]. We’ve considered other spellings such as Sundae…which I think is so cute but my HB thinks she will outgrow it and never make in the corporate world…what do you think? too cutesy?

Personally I think [name]Sunday[/name] is a very pretty name and if it has importance to you then it’s twice as god.
Sundae just makes me think of ice creams though.

You could use it as a middle name or have a more ‘corporate’ sounding MN that she could use as an adult if she felt [name]Sunday[/name] wasn’t formal enough.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say it has been made famous by [name]Nicole[/name] Kidman and [name]Keith[/name] [name]Urban[/name]. [name]Sunday[/name] is not near as high-profile as [name]Shiloh[/name], [name]Suri[/name], [name]Harlow[/name], and [name]Honor[/name]. Also, after [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Garner[/name] and [name]Ben[/name] Affleck named their first daughter [name]Violet[/name], many people used that name - the same cannot be said for [name]Sunday[/name]. If the name has significance, I wouldn’t let the fact that a celebrity baby has the name hold you back, especially one who is never in the media like [name]Sunday[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Kidman [name]Urban[/name].

I would strongly caution against using the spelling Sundae. All I can think of is ice cream sundaes, and - because you said to tell you what I really think - I think Sundae looks cheap and childish rather than sassy and cute. [name]Sunday[/name] has more of an elegant look to it, if such a name can have one. Ideally, I’d say to use it as a middle name because I don’t think [name]Sunday[/name] is really a very strong or professional name in either spelling personally.

I have to agree. “Sundae” is just toooo cute. It’s pure ice cream. If the name [name]Sunday[/name] has special significance to you and you both love it, bestow it on your daughter proudly.

I love the name [name]Sunday[/name], but my husband doesn’t like it. I have seen it spelled Sundai, which I think is cute. If you are worried about her name stopping her in the “corporate” world, don’t worry too much. The CEO of my company is nammed [name]Bunny[/name], and she is very successful. You could always give her a very regal middle name that she could use in business, if you are worried about it, or us [name]Sunday[/name] as a middle name and then just call her by that name. [name]Just[/name] a thought.

1 Like

I think the name [name]Sunday[/name] is very pretty and you should definitely use it if you love it and it has significance. I do not like Sundae. I think I may have had a My [name]Little[/name] Pony named Sundae. :slight_smile:

I nearly fainted when [name]Nicole[/name] named her baby [name]Sunday[/name] especially [name]Sunday[/name] [name]Rose[/name] as we had a commercial with [name]Tom[/name] [name]Cruise[/name] in it talking about a [name]Sunday[/name] roast! I thought to myself what was she thinking when she picked that name?

I just couldn’t okay [name]Sunday[/name] and especially not Sundae!

[name]Sunday[/name] is a nice, sweet, proper name. Ignore [name]Nic[/name] and [name]Keith[/name]'s baby. If it is special to you then use it.

Sundae is a dessert, not a name. Please do not spell it like this.

Also don’t give her another noun name in mn position, this could lead to potential teasing. [name]Sunday[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Kidman is easily turned into [name]Sunday[/name] Roast Kid, as in a cooked goat. I think I classic, well known and appreciated mn would work best. For example:

[name]Sunday[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Sunday[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Sunday[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Sunday[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Sunday[/name] [name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Sunday[/name] [name]Theresa[/name] (although this could be quite religious)
[name]Sunday[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]

Good [name]Luck[/name]:slight_smile:

I want to like [name]Sunday[/name] as a name, it’s quirky, has regular exposure in another forum of life so not to sound out-of-the blue, and it feels sweet. However, I can’t shake the “Why didn’t your parents give you a real name?” vibe I get off of it. I think it’s a great middle name, but unless you’re really ready to make your child the “one of these things is not like the other” as the [name]Sesame[/name] [name]Street[/name] song it’s not always going to be a positive thing for you child to bare.

It all depends on your parenting perspective, is this one of the battlegrounds you want your child to have or not? That doesn’t necessarily mean that you will get lots of opposition over it but it does mean it’s something your child will have to wrestle with internally either way the external situation plays out. I know some parents pick names that are going to get a reaction for that very reason, similar to the “Boy Named [name]Sue[/name]” song, to make them tough, strong, or separate them from their peers. In the end it’s your choice, one of your single most significant decisions about how you want to portray your daughter’s sense of identity to her. Good [name]Luck[/name]!

This seems like a rather extreme reaction to such a moderate name as [name]Sunday[/name]. Many babies born these days are not given “real names”. It’s so common place that it seems very unlikely that they will all suffer such angst as to see their name as a “battleground” or themselves as “not like the others”. What kind of morose child would hear that [name]Sesame[/name] [name]Street[/name] song and apply it to themselves? Not one named [name]Sunday[/name]. Perhaps one named [name]Jesus[/name] or [name]Darwin[/name]… some truly controversial battleground name. Surely not [name]Sunday[/name]. Naming your child [name]Sunday[/name] is nothing akin to naming a boy [name]Sue[/name]. I doubt there will be any internal wrestling going on there.

That out of the way, I agree with all the other commentary. I don’t think people will connect your child with [name]Nicole[/name] Kidman and [name]Keith[/name] [name]Urban[/name]'s kid. I also think [name]Sunday[/name] is the better spelling. It’s a very nice name for any baby, child, or woman.

1 Like

I like it, especially if you have importance attached to it. I agree though, Sundae is a bit too much…I think of ice cream right away and high school/college could be a bit rough. [name]Sunday[/name] is pretty though and who cares if someone else gave their baby that name. I know [name]Nicole[/name] Kidman is famous, but it doesn’t really matter in my opinion. I say go for it!

I love it! I think it’s beautiful (it’s on my list of potential middle names:) I also live the suggestion of Sundae [name]Annabel[/name]- so beautiful!

As for whether or not she can make it in the corporate world, my parents have a friend named [name]Bambie[/name] and she is an incredibly successful business woman… so I think your little Sundae will be just fine:)

[name]Sunday[/name] is very cute. I love the suggestions of formal middle names such as [name]Sunday[/name] [name]Katharine[/name] and [name]Sunday[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]. Beautiful!

As far as the celebrity issue, I don’t think it should be an issue for you. I don’t think most people would immediately make the connection. Consider that people who are not name obsessed as we are here may not know what [name]Nicole[/name] and [name]Keith[/name] named their baby. :slight_smile:

I also don’t think [name]Sunday[/name] is too “out there” or informal as some posters seem to feel. Sure its a word name, but I think [name]Sunday[/name] will do fine in a generation of children with names like [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Coral[/name], [name]Fable[/name], [name]Story[/name], [name]River[/name], [name]Winter[/name], [name]June[/name] and [name]August[/name].

Please don’t do Sundae. I think [name]Sunday[/name] is passable, though.

If you’re worried maybe use it as a middle name?

I second scarlettsmom’s post:
I have to agree. “Sundae” is just toooo cute. It’s pure ice cream. If the name [name]Sunday[/name] has special significance to you and you both love it, bestow it on your daughter proudly.

I think [name]Sunday[/name] is a fine name for a girl or woman, no different imo than [name]Willow[/name] or [name]Lark[/name] or [name]Raven[/name] (just off the top of my head). Actually I much prefer it over those! I do agree with pp to be careful when selecting a middle so that you don’t inadvertently make a sentence–I actually would have said no to [name]Sunday[/name] [name]Rose[/name] since they’re both nouns.

I think its a quilty pleasure, best for a middle or for a pet.

[name]Sunday[/name] is not my style, but on another person’s child, I would probably think it was very cute. For some reason, I can see [name]Sunday[/name], Friday & [name]Tuesday[/name] as first names, but not any of the other days of the week. I wonder why that is? Why not [name]Monday[/name]? Oh yeah, I remember now. :wink:

[name]Do[/name] you know the origin of [name]Sunday[/name], btw? I do not, but interesting sidenote is that Thursday comes from the name [name]Thor[/name]. Thursday is [name]Thor[/name]'s day.

If you like [name]Sunday[/name], stick with [name]Sunday[/name], but do not call your poor child Sundae. I am with your husband on this.

I think [name]Sunday[/name] is a go. (Sundae, however, you should drop immediately. She’ll get enough jokes as it is).

Personally, I love the name. I’ve debated myself whether to put it on my “To Use” list as a first or a middle. But I think that in a world of Aprils, Mays and Junes, why not? People are branching out so I suspect in the future, it won’t seem strange. I think it’s a name that stays just this side of unique, it doesn’t cross over into strange.

As far as impressions, I don’t think it carries the (pardon my assumptions) low class image of a MyKinzee. It’s interesting without being shocking. After all, there’s [name]Tuesday[/name] Weld. I suspect that in a world where more parents are struggling to find a name that’ll make their child stand out, we’re going to see a lot more Sundays, Tuesdays and Augusts.

[name]Sunday[/name] has some wonderful associations. There is [name]Sunday[/name]'s Child after all! That’s what I think of as soon as I hear it. I love the suggestions pairing it with [name]Katherine[/name] and the like. A definite winner, in my book.

I believe [name]SundaY[/name] is a very pretty name. I agree with other posters saying that Sundae is was to cutesy and ice cream related. While its obious any child will be teased, sunday gives them a little edge up, especially if shes chubby. however i believe sundae gives them WAAAAAY to much of a headstart. haha but i believe [name]Sunday[/name] is very pretty, unique and will age very well as a name. Good [name]Luck[/name]!