Tell Us About Your Story!

I love this!! “Cinderella but she’s an assassin” yes please, let me read it! I’ve heard of twists on fairytales before, but none quite like this. I loved the excerpt (that poor prince :pleading_face:) and your blurb was so fun and snappy! That plot sounds really fun, and since you mentioned how she was hopeless and unhinged at the beginning I’m looking forward to how Braise changes during the story. You also snuck in a lot of hints at world building in the blurb, A++. [name_f]Do[/name_f] the missing crown prince and suspected cults come back into play? Is it the poison that Braise uses that lead to the name Phantom [name_u]Blue[/name_u]?

1 Like

I have a lot of stories that I’ve essentially put on hiatus for a little bit, but I do have an active RP with my friends! It’s about a support group in a small town for people who have been mysteriously ressurected.

I’ve had this image for a story with tiny bits of dialogue nagging me for at least a year, so I’m also trying to figure that out rn. [name_m]Will[/name_m] update you if it ever becomes a real story, lol.

3 Likes

I also love fairytale-inspired books (obvi, since that’s what my main project is right now lol!). I didn’t even attempt [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f] because it just didn’t strike me as a fairytale that needed a new version but [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f] as an assassin? That is a [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f] story the world definitely needs!

1 Like

Ha, I love that premise! Looking forward to an update :wink:

1 Like

Honestly, that could be a really cool narrative podcast idea! It’s the first thing I thought of. Please do keep us updated!

1 Like

@the_common_fool [name_f]My[/name_f] dude, I know Create A Friend Group Together! • New Fun Writer's Game! - #12 by KJGlitter has been dead for a while, but you could make a character for friend group #2, Witch [name_m]Way[/name_m], if you like? I could have sworn I tagged you in it at the time, but just looking back I see I messed up :frowning_face: Sorry

1 Like

Thank you!

Oh wow, thank you! I’d love to do a narrative podcast one day. I almost did one a while ago that was going to have sort of a steampunky setting about a pretentious, intellectual elitist girl who drops out of college and is forced to take a job as a ghost hunter to support herself. Ghost hunting in that world is like plumbing, where it’s more of a trade career that doesn’t usually require a degree (she’s also afraid to tell her parents about all of it, who instilled these ideas in her and put so much pressure on her.) So she would start off snobby and grow to be less so, and genuinely enjoy the job and shed that social pressure about degrees. And there was gonna be a lot of philosophical stuff too, like what does loss mean, and how grieving works when your loved one is still haunting you.

And because this is nameberry, I’ll say the protagonist was going to be named [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] [name_f]Hortense[/name_f] :grin:

But I’ll definitely keep you updates on the resurrection RP and that pesky vague story idea. I already have my characters for the RP sorted out, as well as some background characters.

3 Likes

Oh that’s perfectly fine! Thank you for thinking of me, I’ll check it out! (edit: since there’s so many replies after Witch Way, I could start a new friend group of a similar genre/setting perhaps!)

@AerieEerie You’re welcome! (: That idea is awesome too! [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] is beautiful! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Ahhhh thank you sm!!!:pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face:

1 Like

Thank you!!! I loved yours as well!!!:heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

I’m trying to be more active here again so I’m finally getting around to this!

Title: The Virtues of [name_u]Magic[/name_u]

Age Group: young teens?

Genre: Coming of Age / [name_u]Urban[/name_u] [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f]

Medium: series of novels. I’ve done two, ideally I want six.

Names: Main Characters are siblings [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. Secondaries are [name_m]Asriel[/name_m], [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] and [name_m]Casper[/name_m].

Blurb: Life isn’t easy for the [name_m]Lambert[/name_m] siblings: [name_f]Alice[/name_f], who inherited their father’s complete inability to do magic, goes all the way to Australia to get away from the [name_u]Magic[/name_u] World that never felt like home, but still can’t leave it behind for good. [name_m]Peter[/name_m], suffering from the same inability but refusing to give up, has to fight for acceptance in this world that seems to have no place fo someone like him. [name_f]Emily[/name_f], third child and first actual witch, has never had a problem with her weird, mixed family - until she falls in love with the most noble, pure-blooded wizard she could find. And then there’s [name_f]Claire[/name_f], all light-hearted goofball, at least until her best friend is believed to be the chosen one and kidnapped by some Evil Space Wizards.

Excerpt: The first day at the new school was coming to an end and still none of them had used magic even a single time.
A few kids were starting to get nervous, others were bored. Others yet, like her and [name_m]Casper[/name_m], were still so impressed by all the new experiences that they wouldn’t even have noticed if their classmate Yoki hadn’t loudly complained about it. At least the three of them had ended up in the same class, so that [name_f]Claire[/name_f] knew two people there after all. Many of their classmates had been to magic primary schools and knew each other, but [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and her older siblings had visited a public school, Yoki had been homeschooled and [name_m]Casper[/name_m] had only known that magic even existed for a few weeks anyways.

Anything else: I got the idea from a [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] themed story baby name game. It was supposed to be fanfiction at first. There, I said it.

2 Likes

To be honest, you had me hooked when you said ‘urban fantasy’ :sweat_smile:
Seriously though, it’s so awesome that you’ve already done two of the series! Are all the novels telling a story chronologically, or could they stand alone? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have the rest of them all planned out yet? I really like the names of the characters, too! The main characters have such classic, short but strong names, and the secondary characters have such cool magic-y names :laughing: [name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_m]Asriel[/name_m] and [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] are my favorite! I like how all the main characters have such different problems and settings going on. Being siblings, do they all get mixed up in each other’s affairs?
Also, I love that this started out as a fanfiction, and you made it your own! That’s so cool!

1 Like

Thank you!
I wished I had all of them planned out already, but in fact I’m not even super happy with the plot of the second one so I’ll have to do that one all over again. I’d like them to have an ongoing plot as well as a closed arch within each book, and that is surprisingly hard. But at least I have the first one that I’m happy with!
Of course they all get mixed up, that is my favorite part of it :grin:

There’s a woman, she’s so sad, but I’m not sure why is she sad… will figure that out (aka will think of something reasonable)

So yeah. I’m nowhere close to finish this story. I’ll tell the details later.

3 Likes

Title: Pearls, Diamonds, and Daggers

Demographics/Ratings: I’d say YA. It has teen characters, is directed to a teen audience, and has some language.

Genre: A heist supernatural mystery. It’s a new genre, coined by me. You’re welcome.

Medium/format: Maybe a trilogy? Of novels, of course.

Characters: The main characters: Andison [name_u]Louise[/name_u] Bingley (pov), [name_m]Chadwick[/name_m] Whitcare, [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u] Ochoa, [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_m]Ames[/name_m], [name_f]Natasha[/name_f] [name_m]Kendrick[/name_m], and [name_m]Zachariah[/name_m] Blaylock.

Blurb: Andison Bingley, the daughter of two high-society Texans, has been told how “special” she is, how privileged she is. No one except for her knows how true this is. Andison has powers. She automatically identifies flaws, then eliminates them. However, her newest prep school is the most unique. Blackwood, [name_u]Texas[/name_u]’s Hepworth Prep has many skeleton’s in its closet. On her first day there, another student moves in: [name_m]Chadwick[/name_m] Whitcare. He’s enigmatic and has secrets to hide–but so does Andison. And after a mysterious series of simultaneous events, Andison and her new friends realize that they aren’t the only ones with powers. Yet, her new school isn’t the only thing messed up in Blackwood. Andison’s mother grew up in the town, and after the death of her grandmother, Aunt [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] has been acting strange. Andison bands with new friends from Hepworth, planning to end the scheme her aunt is planning.
All Andison wants is a “normal” junior year, but she has a lying boy, and auction to crash, and superpowers to deal with. Have I mentioned the FBI yet?

Excerpt:

I write short paragraphs, so it took up a lot of space...

“Let’s go,” I said, focusing on my hands. They unlocked the car. Opened the driver’s door, buckled my seatbelt. Finally, they keyed the ignition, and hugged the steering wheel. Before I would have nothing to do but stare ahead (looking at [name_m]Chadwick[/name_m] again was not an option), I watched my hand turn on the radio, trying to prevent any conversations.

Key word: trying.

We made it five, maybe ten minutes, before [name_m]Chadwick[/name_m] broke the silence.

“So, you still mad?” he asked slowly, cautiously. He most likely did this because his life was in my hands, which were on the wheel of the motor vehicle that one jerk could end up killing both of us.

Hence, the slowness.

“What do you think?” I snapped. “I wasn’t the one who’d lied. I wasn’t the one who’d left my entire family, only to go and—“

“[name_m]Don[/name_m]’t tell me you would never run away,” he said, his voice low and edgy.

I remained silent. Because, if I said Nope, that’d be lying, and [name_m]Chadwick[/name_m] seemed to have PhD in that subject, and if I’d said Maybe, that’d an omission, the same as lying. I could’ve said Yes, but that’d be portraying weakness in front of my current enemy. That’s just common sense to not do.

“So you would?” he guessed, his throat almost closing around the words. “You would run away, and you’re mad I left my family. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you not realize you’re not the only person in this world with a screwed up family? [name_f]My[/name_f] parents don’t even care about me or Thomaston. We’re just like…things to them. You’re the person who sees flaws. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t tell me you’ve never guessed that. Thought of that. You can’t have double standards—be mad at me for something that’s just like your life!”

Extras: Their powers!
[name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]- Healing and the ability to speak every language fluently.
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]- Telekinesis and invisibility.
[name_m]Chadwick[/name_m]- Shapeshifting and the ability to change other inanimate objects.
[name_f]Natasha[/name_f]- Telekinesis and emotion reading.
[name_m]Zachariah[/name_m]- Sees numbers and patterns…and…and…idk yet.
(P.S., they all have weaknesses too, but they aren’t here.)

3 Likes

Ooh, you’ve mentioned this one before, right? I was wondering about it! It’s a great genre :wink: Aunt [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] sounds very intriguing, and so does Andison’s power. How does she use it? I really loved that excerpt - it sounds like there’s a lot of interesting context between those two, but their relationship was a lot of fun to read! Also, your characters all have great names! (I want [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]’s power!!)

1 Like

I’m working on a number of novels right now - I just finished final edits on a novella that’s launching this weekend (I’m indie published), and now I’ve got to go back to writing book 3 in that series … so I’ll tell you all about that in hopes that it gives me inspiration!

Title: At Her Fingertips (The Chronicles of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], Book #3)

Demographics/Ratings: Adult, but it’s squeaky clean because of genre expectations and all. It has a very specific, pretty narrow audience! Most people wouldn’t like it.

Genre: Victorian historical romance, but very character-heavy, almost women’s fiction – has [name_u]Christian[/name_u] themes

Medium/Format: book 3 in a series!

Characters: Some of my characters (I have a huge cast!) are [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Christina[/name_f] [name_m]Knight[/name_m], [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] Strauss, [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] [name_m]Knight[/name_m], [name_m]Kirk[/name_m] [name_m]Manning[/name_m], [name_m]Gibson[/name_m] Ashfield … I’d better stop.

Blurb:

Debutante ​[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_m]Knight[/name_m] has a plan: have her first social season in [name_u]London[/name_u], meet the perfect man, and marry him. Fortunately, a rich and charming gentleman falls right in her lap—and nothing will convince her to give him up.

However, [name_f]Alice[/name_f]’s faith in her plan shatters when a childhood friend tugs at her heart, and an American reporter gives her some unusual advice about God. When the decision must be made, she finds it difficult to make a choice between her head and heart.

The life she’s worked so hard for is finally at her fingertips, but what if faith in God’s will is more important than her own?

Excerpt:

I don’t have a cool excerpt, soooo … I’ll skip this one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Extras:

I’ve rewritten and rewritten this story, and I’m so excited to be on the final draft!

3 Likes

I’ll come back later. :slight_smile:

I have mentioned it before! She doesn’t “use” her powers per se, it’s really out of her control. It’s just an automatic, mental thing. Thank you for the compliment on the excerpt and names! I love [name_m]Gabe[/name_m]’s powers, too!