Tell Us About Your Story!

Title: Guardians Of Eldina (series title)

The individual titles I have so far are:

The Siren’s Song
The Witch’s Revenge

Demographic: It’s definitely for children, probably something like an 8+. [name_f]My[/name_f] little sister’s read most of what I’ve written so far and she’s nine, so it works.

Content Warnings: Death (there’s a war going on throughout the entire series, obviously people die)

Genre: [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f]

Medium/Format: A four-book (minimum) series

Characters are in two categories since, you know, two books more or less planned as the moment

The Siren’s Song :

Protagonist: [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] [name_f]Maren[/name_f], thirteen years old. Has blue eyes and straight black hair, is fairly tall, and expects magic to have serious rules. She’s a little off on that front, but she still prides herself on her knowledge of how a fictional fantasy world should work.

[name_f]Delphine[/name_f] ‘Delphi’ [name_f]Maren[/name_f]. Ayla’s almost-fifteen year old sister.

[name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] [name_m]Corentin[/name_m]: A friend of Delphi’s, quite recently turned fourteen.

[name_f]Clio[/name_f] [name_m]Arion[/name_m]: The main villain of the book, a twenty year old woman who’s determined to find a way to take a Guardian’s powers. One of the leaders of the enemy side, known as the ‘Gatherers’.

‘Apollo’: A siren, for whom the book is named, who is on the side of the Gatherers.

Side characters:

[name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] [name_u]Green[/name_u] (cousin of [name_f]Eliane[/name_f] [name_f]Tana[/name_f] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_u]Green[/name_u], but we’ll get to them later)
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m] Lightwood
[name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_u]Anderson[/name_u]

Those three are Ayla’s best friends, all twelve years old as of the story’s start, though [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] turns thirteen the day after [name_f]Ayla[/name_f].

The Witch’s Revenge :

Protagonist: [name_f]Eliane[/name_f] ‘Ellie’ [name_f]Tana[/name_f], thirteen years old. Has brown hair and amber eyes (basically a sort of goldish-brown colour). Despises the idea of fairy tales, and as you can imagine doesn’t like it when she’s dragged into one.

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_u]Green[/name_u]: Ellie’s ten-year-old cousin, who she lives with. Also a cousin of [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] [name_u]Green[/name_u], as their dads are twins. Ellie’s mother is the older sister of those twins.

[name_f]Kerensa[/name_f]: A witch who, as the story opens, has escaped her captivity in the capital of Aridare and has, you know, sworn revenge. Not on the city, though, on the people who got her captured in the first place. Who happen to be the leaders of the Gatherers.

I’m trying to name a male character who’s meant to be a sort of historian, but it’s hard to find a decent name.

I have a blurb for The Siren’s Song, but not for The Witch’s Revenge. Here is what I have:

[name_f]Ayla[/name_f] [name_f]Maren[/name_f] likes to call herself an expert in children’s fantasy, meaning she knows exactly how a magic story should go. As it turns out, however, she doesn’t really know much about how magic in real life works. When she discovers that she and her older sister are what are known as ‘Guardians’ of a magical world called Eldina on her thirteenth birthday, it’s a total surprise.
Still, she’s not too worried at first. [name_u]Magic[/name_u] has rules, right? So naturally there must be some rules to her newfound powers, and rules as to how the people and creatures she meets in Eldina should behave, rules of their own magic.
The only problem is that with the realness of these creatures comes the realness of their powers.
A powerful group of people in Eldina, the Gatherers, are striving to ‘collect’ the Guardians, and lock them away so they can enact some sort of evil plot. On their side they have a siren, a terrifyingly powerful young boy known as ‘Apollo’. And his song is deadly. It pulls those fool enough to listen into a state where they’ll willingly change sides, or walk straight into the Gatherers’ lair. A place nobody knows the location of except for the highest ranked Gatherers.
[name_m]Can[/name_m] [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] resist the song of the sirens, or will she fall victim to the Gatherers before she can even understand how to control her magic?

And an excerpt from The Siren’s Song (this comes from the opening of Chapter Five):

Water surrounded her, which was logically impossible. She was still sinking, though, as if this was the ocean and not a shallow river.
Her parents had always thought that knowing how to swim was important. [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] agreed, but it wasn’t going to help her now. Treading water wouldn’t keep her afloat when she was falling through water like it was air.
Air…
She couldn’t breathe here. She couldn’t see anything.
In the back of her mind, she was aware that [name_f]Delphi[/name_f] had done this before and survived, but she had no idea how much longer she had to sink.
She couldn’t hold her breath forever. Her lungs were burning, her head was spinning…

There’s my favourite excerpt so far.

Any advice on a name for a male historian character? It’s got to be fairly unusual, since he’s from the world of Eldina.

3 Likes

I wrote this as a short story for workshop last week and since then, I’ve decided I want to expand it into a longer piece!

Title
The short story (and the MC) was called Castle [name_f]Moon[/name_f]

Demographic
YA

Genre
[name_f]Fantasy[/name_f]

Medium
Currently is a short story but I want to expand it in both directions (into the past and future of the events of the short story) so I think it will end up being at least 2 books

Characters
Castle [name_f]Moon[/name_f] “Cas”- 20, ashy brown hair (in two braids at first but it’s cut to her chin), hazel eyes, tan skin, freckles, scar on her right cheek. She’s my attempt at a morally grey protagonist, the “I hate that you infected me with morals” type. Her name comes from where she was found as a baby (near a castle on a full moon)

[name_u]Auberon[/name_u] Elor “Aubrey”- 20, dark skin, black hair with an emblem shaved into the side. He is Cas’ best friend but when he switches sides in the war they’re fighting, she feels betrayed by him. He believes himself to be descended from the old kings but there’s a twist

(General) [name_u]Sage[/name_u] [name_m]Salo[/name_m]- 21, short hair dyed a wine red. [name_m]General[/name_m] in the Rebellion, acts much older than she is, initially distrustful of [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] but comes around to trust him, also distrustful of [name_m]Cas[/name_m] and somewhat comes around to her

[name_f]Opal[/name_f] [name_m]Salo[/name_m]- 18, wavy brown hair, big eyes, big smile. Sage’s spunky, optimistic, sweet but don’t cross her little sister. Likes [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] almost immediately and develops a crush on him, which isn’t reciprocated (but he lets her down easy). Eventually becomes close friends with [name_m]Cas[/name_m]

[name_m]Viator[/name_m]- hundreds of years old, an AI-human hybrid who was created to be the perfect leader and who commands the army [name_m]Cas[/name_m] and [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] fight/fought for. Incredibly manipulative, especially towards [name_m]Cas[/name_m] after [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] leaves.

Plot so far
I won’t be formal and call it a blurb.

Basically, the world of Delune used to be controlled by kings (and queens) who had special connections to natural magic. When the kings fell, and technological advances made magic unnecessary and scarce, a AI-human hybrid known as [name_m]Viator[/name_m] rose from the chaos, proclaiming to be made as the perfect leader for the world. He was cruel and manipulative though, and small group of dissenters (currently called the Rebellion because I wanted the short story premise to be basic enough that people paid attention to the characters but I might actually call them the Dissenters) fight against his rule.
Within Viator’s army are [name_m]Cas[/name_m] and [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u], two orphans raised to fight the Rebellion. During a mission, the Rebellion captures [name_m]Cas[/name_m] and [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u], and while they’re in their custody, discover something strange about Aubrey’s blood. [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] stays behind to learn more while [name_m]Cas[/name_m] escapes to [name_m]Viator[/name_m], and in doing so, discovers he’s a descendant of the last kings and learns the truth about Viator’s conquests.

Extras
This whole thing started because I wanted a friends to enemies to friends/lovers plot line to obsess over. I’m still not 100% sure if [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] and [name_m]Cas[/name_m] become a couple but the consensus in my workshop class was that they definitely have chemistry, with some people believing they were a couple even before [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] left.

Questions
Tune in later because I’ll probably think of something!

6 Likes

This is a picture book that I was thinking a bit about. It’s sort of a side project.
Title: [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (I think)
Demographics/Ratings: [name_m]Little[/name_m] kids
Characters: [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], a bunch of kids, Mum and Dad
Plot: A blind girl named [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is invited to Ellie’s birthday party. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is very upset, not wanting a disabled girl at her party. Her mother explains that she must be kind and understanding of everyone, despite their differences. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] doesn’t listen, but she completely forgets about [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] when she opens her birthday present which turns out to be a little kitten. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is overjoyed with happiness, and she hands the cat over for everyone to pet except [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] gets very sad, and she starts to cry. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and her friends ignore her and go play outside. After playing for a bit, they go back indoors to have tea when [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] realises that her kitten is lost. She gets incredibly scared because its snowy and cold outdoors - conditions not fit for a little kitten. She goes out with her friends (except Lucy) in order to find her kitten. They search all around the town but are unable to find it. They go back home defeated to find [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] petting the little kitten. Ellie’s mother explains that [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] searched around their backyard and found the little kitten hiding in a shed. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] explains that even though she is blind, she has a sense that replaces sight. The sense of a special connection towards animals. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is apologetic yet escatic, and in order to make it up to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], she gives her kitten her name.

7 Likes

Title: As of now, despite it hopefully becoming a seven-story series (fairly short ones, since it’s aimed at my two little sisters who don’t read very much), I have one title decided.

Sink Beneath The Waves

Demographic: [name_f]My[/name_f] sisters are 10 and 12, so that should give you a vague idea of what I’m going for.

Genre: Fantasy-adventure, absolutely. I don’t really write anything else.

Medium: Short story series, sort of like [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] [name_u]Magic[/name_u] but a bit longer and more complicated reading

The current blurb I have is this:

[name_u]Brooke[/name_u] Destan has lived her whole fourteen years of life in the same quiet town of Tarford without really caring a bit. It’s in her nature to prefer what’s known to her, and she likes things as they are. But the arrival of a letter throws everything she’s ever known into total jeopardy, forcing her into a world of mystery and magic that is all her sister could have ever dreamed of.
And yet it’s [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] who’s got a destiny to fulfil here, and it’s [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] who is about to go diving headfirst into danger.
After all, the ocean has never been known for being the safest place…

The idea is that all seven stories link to one of the typical elements seen in any of the gazillion ‘Elementals’ Gacha series, which if you’re unaware are water, earth, fire, air, light and darkness. I’ve also got ice despite that literally just being water anyway, but the characters assigned to water and ice are sisters so it makes some sense that they’d have ‘linked’ powers.

Characters (they’ve got fairly obvious names):

MCs:
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u] Destan
[name_f]Neve[/name_f] Destan (may change this, though)
[name_u]Cedar[/name_u] [name_u]Ainsley[/name_u]
[name_f]Ayla[/name_f] [name_u]Lyn[/name_u]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u] [name_u]Dell[/name_u]
[name_u]Ash[/name_u] [name_m]Sulien[/name_m] (might change this one)
[name_f]Brisa[/name_f] [name_f]Araceli[/name_f]

Other characters:
[name_f]Liadan[/name_f] [name_u]Greyson[/name_u]
[name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] [name_u]Brady[/name_u]
[name_f]Annika[/name_f] [name_u]Jett[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Kari[/name_u]
[name_f]Talvi[/name_f] [name_m]Aquilo[/name_m]
[name_f]Kirsi[/name_f] [name_m]Aquilo[/name_m]
[name_f]Eirlys[/name_f] [name_f]Rin[/name_f]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u] [name_f]Maren[/name_f]

And more names along those lines.

Question: Would you be likely to mix up [name_f]Annika[/name_f] and [name_f]Anahita[/name_f] while reading? [name_u]Reason[/name_u] being is that two of my friends have these names and my family always mixes them up (or calls one of them anaesthetic. That happened.). It’s not like they’re the main characters, but they do get mentioned a fair bit. It’s why, despite [name_f]Anahita[/name_f] being a pretty good name considering the other ones in that list, I’m nervous to use it when I already have [name_f]Annika[/name_f].

2 Likes

Title: The Unwitting [name_u]Prince[/name_u]

Demographics/Ratings: The book is aimed at teens. The main characters are fourteen/fifteen, so that’s the main age range I’m going for.

Genre: [name_u]Science[/name_u] fiction all the way

Medium/format: I’m hoping for this book to be the first in a series that spans at least four books. The series is (tentatively) called The [name_u]Cerulean[/name_u] Chronicles

Characters: The main four: [name_u]Cerulean[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] (male, 15); [name_f]Aeryn[/name_f] Villis (female, 14); [name_m]Kael[/name_m] Butterskot (male, 15); [name_m]Eno[/name_m] [name_m]Cort[/name_m] (male, 15)
Other major (but not main) characters: Idryssa Villis (female, 7); Jemica “Jem” [name_m]Weber[/name_m] (female, 39), Theadosia “Thea” [name_m]Weber[/name_m] (female, 13), [name_m]Fenn[/name_m] [name_m]Weber[/name_m] (female, 7)

Blurb:
In a tyrannical future where women are barely considered human…

[name_u]Cerulean[/name_u] can’t remember anything before five years ago, when he woke up on a medical bed, bound and mute. All he knows is that he wants revenge on the people who made him like this. But not everything is as it seems…

[name_m]Kael[/name_m] and [name_m]Eno[/name_m] have kept their heads bowed, going along with the Academy’s sexist curriculum. They don’t believe a word they’re taught, but if they misbehave, the penalty could be anything from detention to death.

[name_f]Aeryn[/name_f] has lived in a small house in the forest since her mom went missing seven years ago. She’s done her best to take care her little sister, Idryssa, and give her a childhood, but there’s not much time for a childhood when you have to raise yourself.

None of these four teenagers have had a happy life so far. But when circumstances bring them together, they could be just what the world needs to change. Not that they know it yet.

2 Likes

Title: Haemophobia

Genre: I have it tentatively listed on Wattpad as paranormal though I don’t think that’s quite right. The ‘Vampire’ genre is just stupid, in my opinion, but that might be easier.

Medium: One standalone novel

Characters:
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Greyson[/name_u]
[name_u]Alex[/name_u] [name_u]Greyson[/name_u]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]
Only names 100% decided, and that’s because they’re the main characters. [name_u]Or[/name_u] three of the POV characters, to be more specific.

Blurb:
Twins [name_u]Harper[/name_u] and [name_u]Alex[/name_u] [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] are the best vampire hunters in town – mainly because they’re the only ones who live in Lamstoke [name_m]Woods[/name_m]. Of course, it may also have something to do with the fact that they themselves are half vampire, but the main thing is definitely the lack of permanent vampire hunters in residence.
Enter the [name_u]Everett[/name_u] family, one of the most famous families of vampire hunters of the past century. A family with an equal hatred of both full vampires and dhampirs like [name_u]Harper[/name_u] and [name_u]Alex[/name_u]. While the twins are desperate to keep their big secret under wraps, their new classmate [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is quick to issue a challenge – whoever can verify the most vampire defeats before term ends wins. [name_u]Alex[/name_u] is hesitant, but [name_u]Harper[/name_u] is all for it. Lamstoke is their territory, after all.
As tension builds on both sides, [name_u]Alex[/name_u] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] begin to notice things about their opponents (or more accurately their families in Alex’s case). While Eleanor’s training dictates that underhanded methods aren’t good form, it also says that technically her opponents are just as deserving of a stake to the heart as the vampires they both aim to kill. Revealing the Greysons’ big secret would change everything. And Alex’s investigations prove that things aren’t all they seem in the [name_u]Everett[/name_u] family. [name_m]Just[/name_m] one brief look into things is enough to reveal a huge secret, never mind one from a supernaturally keen-eyed individual who’s determined to stay alive.
But however far back in the closet these skeletons are being kept, the prospect of blood will draw them all out in time… right?

Question: Eleanor’s family is a fairly old-fashioned one, and I’m trying to get the names to reflect that as best I can. What nickname makes the most sense for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] – or rather which one would annoy her least? I feel like ‘Ellie’ would be one she hated, if that makes sense.

1 Like

What about [name_f]Ele[/name_f] (pronounced like Elle), [name_u]Nori[/name_u], or just [name_f]Nor[/name_f]?

If [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] would be one she hates, maybe just [name_f]El[/name_f] would be more to her taste?

@StormySkyz I don’t think I’d mix up [name_f]Annika[/name_f] and [name_f]Anahita[/name_f] but that’s mostly because I like both names and think they give off very different vibes. If a reader doesn’t feel strongly about them then it might be confusing? I don’t know.

title: working title for now is, the wayward children

demographics/ratings: young adult, though it’s running a little strong with the cursing. :sweat_smile:

genre: realistic fiction, coming-of-age, mystery??

format/medium: probably one book? i’m not real sure.

characters:
we have three different povs, first three character’s have a pov

freyja margrét ólafsdóttir -

19, she/her, light-brown hair she wears in braids, dark eyes, seems to be permanently scowling, has light skin and piercings in her nose, ears, and eyebrow. she kinda hates the world and has a lot of trust issues after something bad went down a few months ago. she’s twins with brynjar, but she hates him atm, and is on the run, icelandic and bisexual.

margaux zéphyrine leblanc “mars” -

20, she/they, has dark hair she wears in low pigtails, brown skin, pretty friendly, but also very fierce. they have several close friends; she would quite literally die for them. they’re kind of the mom of the group, very loyal and honest. apologizes entirely too much, hates change, likes to be in charge, needs justice and answers. margaux’s french and pansexual.

niklas stellmächer “niko” -

18, he/him, has really really dark hair, aviator glasses, blue eyes, pale skin, wears turtlenecks a lot, kinda shy and quiet. he’s also very impulsive and often makes stupid decisions. he was friends with brynjar and freyja when they went to a german international school together, but they had a huge falling out, and the three don’t talk to each other anymore, and he’s german and gay.

brynjar magnús ólafsson -

19, he/him, light blonde hair, brown eyes, a very square jaw, quite tall. he’s stoic, up until the point he can’t stay that way any longer, and becomes close friends with margaux. he’s quick to doubt himself, has very low self-confidence, you just want to give him a hug. actually, you probably want to give everyone in this book a hug. he hates that freyja keeps pushing him away, is also icelandic, and is biromantic.

giulietta russo “lettie” -

19, she/her, very tall, teal hair that’s always in a bun, very dark brown skin. super cocky and confident, but also callous and cut off from people. she meets freyja at a hostel, and they have to share a room. she’s kinda selfish, doesn’t really care about people, but comes to be really close with freyja. a total slytherin, she’s from italy, and is a lesbian.

frost willoughby concord -

somewhere from 17-19, they/them, short black hair, silver eyebrow piercing, light brown skin, nonbinary. they meet niklas at a party and are instant friends. really kind, but also has an impeccable sense of sarcasm. has a natural charm to them, easygoing, great listener, but also hates authority, will probably end up being the voice of reason (along with margaux), british and achillean.

the plot?? if you can call it that??

• we rotate from freyja, margaux, and niklas in third person, almost objective?
  • basically, there’s this rich guy, crispin fitzwalter, who has invited these six young adults to his mansion in order to provide them with solace, when really, it’s just a publicity move.
  • i really want to focus on the character dynamics. obviously, they all hate each other (for the most part) and are going to have to overcome that.
  • the possible overarching plot: crispin fitzwalter has something else going on and the kids are finding a way to expose him.

excerpt:

[name_f]Freyja[/name_f] had been on the run for five weeks, and yet, no one wondered where she was. She didn’t even know where she was.

[name_f]Freyja[/name_f] looked in the mirror, frowning. Her hands clutched both sides of the airport sink, her knuckles turning white. Her breaths came short, and there was a wild look to her eyes.

She forced herself to look away when the door swung open, and she busied herself by digging through her toiletries bag. She grabbed a bottle of concealer and dabbed it under her eyes. It took a while to make sure the circles were gone.

[name_f]Freyja[/name_f] slowly washed her hands, letting the warm water rush over them as the soap drained down the sink. Suddenly, the water shut off. [name_f]Freyja[/name_f] jumped.

extras: obviously not much of a plot right now, but i’m very excited for the characters! i want to play on a lot of relationship-wise tropes, such as siblings to enemies to siblings, friends enemies to friends, and enemies to lovers, etc. i also think it would be fun to have a mentor-type situation, perhaps focusing on crispin’s assistant and the children.
i’m very much a pantser/discover writer, so it’ll make a lot more sense once i get further into it.

3 Likes

The plot sounds super interesting but I’m pumped right now because a previous story of mine had a character named [name_f]Freya[/name_f] [name_f]Margrét[/name_f] whose mom was [name_f]Brynja[/name_f] :sweat_smile:

1 Like

what a coincidence! :joy: although, from my research, freya (/freyja) and margrét are both popular names in iceland currently, so that makes sense!

1 Like

Title: [name_u]August[/name_u]

Demographics/Ratings: [name_m]Young[/name_m] adult, has a fair bit of language and some implied sexual content

Genre: [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f], novel, YA

Format/Medium: three to five novel length books, one for each element of [name_u]August[/name_u] (earth, wind, water, fire) and then one for the defeat of the king.

Characters:
[name_f]Louetta[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]: the main character and the POV for this first person story. She’s the crown princess of (still being named) and being forced to marry her childhood best friend. She’s an [name_f]Earth[/name_f] [name_u]August[/name_u], meaning she was born to noble blood on the 21st of [name_u]August[/name_u] (called the Witch’s Solstice). She has long black hair, pale skin, and grey, stormy eyes.
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] [name_f]Brielle[/name_f]: Lou’s twin sister, a Water [name_u]August[/name_u] (only one [name_f]Earth[/name_f] [name_u]August[/name_u] can be alive at a time, although this can be broken). She is the favorite child, and doesn’t know it. She has pretty shoulder length blonde hair, which compliments her green eyes.
[name_u]Rene[/name_u] [name_m]Le[/name_m] Blanc: Lou’s betrothed, and an undiscovered [name_f]Earth[/name_f] [name_u]August[/name_u] (the one exception to the one at a time rule). He is generally pale, with brown hair and blue eyes.
[name_m]Etienne[/name_m] [name_u]Roux[/name_u]: Primrose’s betrothed, who is a double crossing gambler. He is the third son of a noble, making him perfect to marry off to the second princess. He is a Wind [name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]: the queen of the kingdom, and Lou’s inside spy, although they despise each other and outwardly hate each other. She is [name_u]Lou[/name_u] and Primrose’s stepmother, and mother to the two princes of the kingdom. [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is a hidden [name_u]Fire[/name_u] [name_u]August[/name_u]. She has soft brown, waist length hair and honey colored eyes.

Plot: We follow [name_u]Lou[/name_u] and [name_u]Rene[/name_u] as they try to defeat the king and master elements. Each book covers an element, and the general overarching plot is moving closer to defeating the king and letting Augusts be free (right now they’re forced to hide otherwise they will be burned).

Blurb: The Witches’ [name_u]Solstice[/name_u], the only day an [name_f]Earth[/name_f] [name_u]August[/name_u] can be born, is a cursed date. It’s Lou’s birthday, too. She is the crown princess of the kingdom, and yet, inexplicably, she’s been born an [name_u]August[/name_u]. [name_u]An[/name_u] [name_f]Earth[/name_f] [name_u]August[/name_u], the most powerful type, no less. Her father hates her, hates her people, and she must take his spot one day. But first, she has to conquer the elements of [name_f]Earth[/name_f], learn it’s secrets, learn to control it. All while playing politics, and getting married. [name_m]Can[/name_m] she do it, or will she fail?

Excerpt: “Rose, people die in wars. We knew that getting into this. If you want out, tell me. But I’m not leaving, because I know that this is right. And I know, [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], that people are dying. I know that. Because for every dead person the trees tell me about, I lose hours of sleep. Each of these people rests on my conscience. I killed them, and I know it. But I have to keep going. And if we’re going to rule one day, so do you.”
“It was always going to be you sitting on that throne,” she whispers. “You’ve always been the strong one.”
“Oh, [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. You’ve had to be stronger than me to watch all this war and destruction go on and absolutely despise it but still be supporting and helping the war cause. We’re both going to be on the throne, in one way or another.”

“Yes, father. We’ve met.”

“Excellent! [name_u]Rene[/name_u], I assume you brought the offering so you can wed Lou?”

No. Anyone but [name_u]Rene[/name_u]. Someone who I don’t care about, don’t care about hurting would be better. [name_u]Rene[/name_u] and I ended whatever relationship we had during a fight seven years ago, when I discovered my abilities. When he told me I was a monster.

3 Likes

Title
I don’t have one yet! I think that will be one of my questions :blush:

Demographics/Ratings
I’m thinking mid/late teens? It’s not completely set, and I’m ready for it to change as my story develops. There’s a death and some violence.

Genre
Surprisingly, there isn’t really romance. I’d call it fantasy.

Medium/format
[name_u]Novel[/name_u] for sure, but maybe if it’s successful I’ll put it into movie form.

Characters

Hallah Pelkin

17, female, name pronounced (HOLL-luh PEL-kin). Daughter of Sileik Pelkin. Red-orange hair, icy blue eyes, fair skin. She’s rather angelic, however throughout the story she develops some frustration toward her father which causes her to act rashly, bringing about the climax. She works for Abeki (Ky’s mother), but gets fired later in the story. She’s the best friend of [name_m]Ky[/name_m], and friend of [name_f]Noela[/name_f].

[name_m]Ky[/name_m] Maiber

18, male, name pronounced (KY MAY-ber). [name_m]Son[/name_m] of [name_u]Neal[/name_u] and Abeki Maiber. Dark brown hair, warm dark brown eyes, olive skin. He’s a rebel, and his whole family looks down upon him. He’s been planning to pursue his own future as a sailor, and since he turned eighteen, he now can. The only thing holding him back is a chronic illness that has only begun truly affecting him for the past year or so. He’s the best friend of Hallah, and brother of [name_f]Noela[/name_f].

[name_f]Noela[/name_f] Maiber

19, female, name pronounced (noh-EL-luh MAY-ber). Daughter of [name_u]Neal[/name_u] and Abeki Maiber. [name_f]Silky[/name_f] dark brown hair, cold dark brown eyes, medium skin. She is the main source of why the family holds [name_m]Ky[/name_m] is such disdain. She secretly hates Hallah, and wants to get rid of her because she beginning to soften up her mother. She is an excellent liar, and pretends to be Hallah’s friend, and slowly causes [name_m]Ky[/name_m] and Hallah to grow apart.

Other important characters: Sileik Pelkin (Hallah’s father, SY-leek), [name_u]Neal[/name_u] Maiber (Ky + Noela’s father, NEEL), Abeki Maiber (Ky + Noela’s mother, uh-BEK-ee). And probably more, I’m just mentioning the most important.

Blurb
Hallah hadn’t been close to anyone since the death of her mother. Six years without friends can surely take a toll on a girl. But things have changed since she and her father moved to Seitle. Now she has [name_m]Ky[/name_m] and [name_f]Noela[/name_f]. And Mrs. Maiber is almost like a mother. She doesn’t feel that sunken feeling much anymore, because she isn’t alone.
And then everything starts to change. Again. Relationships falter and evaporate. Everyone seems fake. Her virtuous spirit fades away. Once again, there’s no one to turn to.
Weeks pass, and Hallah gets sick of wallowing in self-pity. So she decides to rebel. She takes a leap of faith… only to become more alone than she’s ever been. She’s the only woman around, in constant danger, and she can’t turn back.

Questions

1. Ideas for titles, please?
  2. Is Seitle (pro. SEE-dul) too similar to Seattle to be usable for a city name?
  3. What should I name [name_f]Noela[/name_f] and Ky’s older brother? He’s not very involved in the story line, but it’s really important that he has a name.

Thank you for reading!

2 Likes

Sounds cool!! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the names, especially [name_m]Ky[/name_m]!

1. I’m so bad at titles, I’m sorry. I don’t have any specific ideas at the moment, but you could always pick an important place or object that matters to the story, if there is one, and play around with that?

2. Nope, I don’t think it’s too similar! The lack of an a and the pronunciation definitely helps, but even if it was pronounced phonetically, I wouldn’t consider it a problem.

3. What about [name_u]Kieran[/name_u]? Although with [name_m]Ky[/name_m] that may not be the best idea….Metias, [name_m]Jaren[/name_m], [name_u]Mica[/name_u], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_m]Vander[/name_m], [name_m]Bastian[/name_m], [name_m]Seamus[/name_m], [name_u]Milo[/name_u], [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], or [name_m]Castor[/name_m], maybe?

Best of luck!

1 Like

Hey, I haven’t been on here for forever, and I know it’s super late for some of these, but I would still like to (slowly) work my way through commenting on everyone’s stories, if that’s not a bother!

@Writer03 First off, yes, I would definitely read this. This kind of cold case, dark family secret thing is always fascinating to me. So it’s dark, but I do like that [name_f]Alessa[/name_f] was the one who murdered her own sister, and the whole dynamic of her daughter being the sister’s reincarnation. It also sounds like you plan on building the suspense and intrigue beautifully.

@Sophia123 Honestly, this sounds like a very interesting read/watch. It really sounds like it could go either way, like a more angst-filled or heartwarming acceptance story, or anywhere in between. The titles you’re considering seem more toward the latter, though, which I like. [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] could probably be really relatable to a lot a people, in a good way. And I generally prefer books, but it would be fun as a movie, too!

@PaperGirlAC This seems like an interesting and intense screenplay! For some reason the screenplay format adds to that. All the characters sound like they could be very interesting in how they face all the drama and changes they are going through. Like, all different problems, but they’re still tied together as family, right? I like it!

[name_f]My[/name_f] first-ever NaNoWriMo project:

Title: [name_u]Ace[/name_u] of Spades
Genres: Well, on the site I have [name_u]Adventure[/name_u], [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f], [name_f]Mystery[/name_f] and [name_u]Urban[/name_u], so… an urban-fantasy-mystery-adventure. If such a thing exists.

Blurb

A mysterious new criminal has emerged. Their calling card, the [name_u]Ace[/name_u] of Spades, has been found at three crime scenes in 24 hours. A feat that should be impossible, but nothing is impossible when the very air you breathe is laden with magic.

The [name_u]Ace[/name_u], as the citizens of Fyanith know them, was a crime everyman, someone who targeted all species equally. From angels to wixen, they have no real preference in victims. Which strikes fear into the hearts of everyone.

But then things change. The [name_u]Ace[/name_u] changes tack, and it’s terrifying in a whole new way. They have specific targets. Targets who are at a disadvantage.

Enter [name_f]Indira[/name_f] and [name_f]Arietta[/name_f] Noxtus, sixteen-year-old faerie twins. Confident mystery-loving [name_f]Indi[/name_f] and shy music-loving [name_u]Ari[/name_u] have always had each other’s backs even when they fight, because Ari’s wings are broken. She’s never been able to fly, and never will.

But Ari’s deformed wings are a target on her back. Literally. The [name_u]Ace[/name_u] is attacking those with disabilities specific to their species, and [name_f]Indi[/name_f] hates everything about that.

[name_m]Can[/name_m] the twins work out the identity of the [name_u]Ace[/name_u] of Spades before they can track down [name_f]Arietta[/name_f], or will [name_f]Indi[/name_f] be the only twin to reach their seventeenth birthday?

Characters: So far, I’ve only 100% named [name_f]Indira[/name_f] and [name_f]Arietta[/name_f] Noxtus, being extremely indecisive on what my project would actually be, though I’m going to name ‘Ace’ [name_m]Rhydian[/name_m] something, and [name_f]Arietta[/name_f] uses the false name [name_f]Evette[/name_f] Briarwhisk when in conversation with [name_u]Ace[/name_u].

3 Likes

Oh my goodness! That’s such a great story! I love it so much! :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

This is a really fun idea! The worldbuilding sounds incredibly fun, and the fact that one of the main characters could the next victim really gives a sense of urgency!

1 Like

I talked about this in the nano thread, but here’s my project!

To Drink Your Bitter Sorrows

Summary

[name_m]Cole[/name_m] died years ago, and [name_f]Maya[/name_f] still hasn’t forgiven herself. It seems everyone has been able to move forward but her. Her parents have divorced and remarried, she now has a step brother instead of a brother, and she is the only one willing to talk about [name_m]Cole[/name_m]. After a chance encounter with a mysterious stranger sends her back in time, [name_f]Maya[/name_f] has two weeks to change the course of fate. Still, Cole’s death was the catalyst for so many things. [name_m]Can[/name_m] she save him? And if so, what will be the cost?
(Spoiler alert: [name_f]Maya[/name_f] prevents [name_m]Cole[/name_m] from dying, but to maintain the balance of the universe, she dies in his place. [name_m]Cole[/name_m] grows up and, with no knowledge of the alternate timeline, makes the same deal his sister did, creating an infinite time-loop.)

11 Likes

This is sounds so heartbreaking, yet heartwarming at the same time! Bittersweet? This the project you’re doing for nano? I really like the premise :heart_eyes:

1 Like