"Temperature" of names?

My two favorite first names for girls are [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Sylvie[/name], and my two favorite middle names are [name]Anastasia[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name]. But when I think about pairing them up, I run into a problem. If I’m going just by sound, I like

[name]Rose[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name]

That way, you don’t have any problem with [name]Rose[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name] sounding like “[name]Roseanne[/name]” or the repeating EE sounds of [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]. But for some reason, [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Anastasia[/name] just seem to go together, as does [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name]. It’s got something to do with what I can only describe as the temperature of the names; [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Anastasia[/name] seem warm, while [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name] seem cool.

What do you think? [name]Do[/name] you ever think of names as having an undefinable quality like temperature? And which combo do you like best?

I know exactly what you mean! I agree that stylistically [name]Rose[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name] and [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] work, even though [name]Rose[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name] probably flow better.

I think I have the same intuitive approach to names… only mine is with colors. I find myself attached to names that have a sweet violet hue, like [name]Arianne[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], and [name]Daphne[/name], or a soft pink one, like [name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name]. Greens ([name]Stella[/name]), deep reds ([name]Scarlett[/name]), oranges ([name]Vivienne[/name]), and blues don’t appeal to me, at all, lol. It’s slightly different, but still the same intuitive approach.

That’s so fastinating! I would have said [name]Charlotte[/name] was navy blue. What do you think of as blue?

lol, I can’t think of a blue name! That’s why I didn’t list an example. A lot of “B” names are blue to me, though–oh, like [name]Bryony[/name]! I actually adore [name]Bryony[/name], though, so maybe that’s not the best example. lol. A lot of the “B” names on my boys’ list are a royal blue, which is why I like them so much for boys–[name]Bailey[/name], [name]Beckett[/name], [name]Boone[/name], [name]Booker[/name], [name]Brody[/name], etc.

I completely understand! I don’t get temperatures, but weights and colors and textures. [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Anastasia[/name] are deep red and heavy, while [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name] are slick, shiny, and light.

1 Like

Me too!! And in my mind [name]Rose[/name] & [name]Evangeline[/name] are light, kind of like chiffon… While [name]Sylvie[/name] & [name]Anastasia[/name] are heavier. So [name]Rose[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] & [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name] would have been my intuitive choice (though they’re all different textures & colors :P)

I totally get the temperature thing…but not the color thing unless of course it’s a color name. I also think I like Warm more than Cool most of the time.

I don’t get the temp or color thing.

Yes! I always do the temperature thing, and I’m glad I’m not alone. :slight_smile: Many names give me an almost physical sensation of warmth or coolness. My guess that it’s just another form of synethesia (there are over 60 types), like seeing names in colors as described above.

I agree that [name]Rose[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name] and [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] feel like a better match, temperature-wise. I personally think they sound better than [name]Rose[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name], too.