Temperley/Temperly

We are still on the hunt for baby names for our newest arrival, [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] & [name_f]Maple[/name_f] are still our tops but I just ran across an old favorite ‘Temperley’ a surname meaning timber glade/clearing. I feel like Temperley & Winrey match really well without being matchy especially with the nn’s [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] & [name_f]Pearl[/name_f].
I know Temperley is a brand name which is why I had crossed it off my list ages ago, however it’s not a popular brand where I’m from, in fact I’d be surprised if anyone I know has even heard of it. But with that connection plus the word ‘temper’ in there I can’t decide if it’s usable or should stay a guilty pleasure

1 Like

I think it’s really pretty! I feel like I have heard the brand but I can’t think what it is so it’s definitely not a strong association. The word associations I have are temperament and tempered, rather than temper :slight_smile:

I do immediately notice the word temper, which makes me think that “Temperly can’t control her temper” is an easy hit.

8 Likes

I think it’s really sweet, actually! Seems usable to me.

1 Like

I’m not a fan. I much prefer [name_f]Temperance[/name_f] and [name_u]Tempest[/name_u]. Winrey and Temperley do sound matchy to me because they both end in “ey”. Temperley is also a fashion brand.

3 Likes

The ‘temper’ part is the most off putting for me too, I think I could live with the fashion brand (I love [name_f]Mercedes[/name_f] and [name_f]Portia[/name_f] and those two are definitely more recognizable as ‘brand’ names than Temperley)

However, and this totally random, but it I think part of the appeal to me is it makes me think of [name_f]Shirley[/name_f] [name_u]Temple[/name_u], it’s kind of a smoosh between the two names, so I can’t help but see a cute little girl with a mop of curls named Temperley.

And the if I’m being honest the ‘temper’ part doesn’t bother me personally as my first thought when people say temper, is balance/control (as in his fiery passion was tempered by her inner calm etc.) but I know that’s not most peoples 1st thought when speaking of temper and I wouldn’t want to give my sweet baby a name most people would have a negative association with

Awww that’s the cutest! I also get that from Temperly, but couldn’t quite put it into words.

And I didn’t/don’t think of temper at all, if that helps!

I like it. :blush: Temperly spelling looks much better next to Winrey

I love holiday

1 Like

I agree with this too, sorry.
Maybe you like [name_u]Tempest[/name_u]?

I’m not sure on it. I personally prefer your other choices

Love [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] and [name_f]Maple[/name_f]!

Temperly/Temperley — interesting!

I like [name_u]Temple[/name_u] and [name_m]Templeton[/name_m]. Temperly does suggest to me having a temperature, but still, it’d been cool to know someone named that. [name_m]Just[/name_m] not as sure it would be cool to be named that myself.

Eh, it’s okay. I’m living in the UK, so Temperely is brand for me. Temperly is okay, really reminds me of [name_f]Shirley[/name_f] [name_u]Temple[/name_u], which isn’t bad. I’m really not keen on the whole surnames as first names thing though. [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is lovely, elegant and classy. I like [name_f]Holiday[/name_f], though here it’s like naming a child ‘vacation’ or ‘weekend’. [name_f]Maple[/name_f] is quite nice, I really like that one. Unfortunately, I would keep Temperely/Temperly as a guilty pleasure and just go for [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], spare the possible teasing, children are cruel. [name_f]Temperance[/name_f] is what I would go for instead.
xx - [name_f]Aleksandra[/name_f] “[name_f]Aleksa[/name_f]” Y.

I love these two names! They go perfectly and Temperley has an interesting little kick to it! Personally I feel Winrey and Temperley flow and look a lot better than [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] and [name_f]Maple[/name_f], Still pretty but a bit more average.
I overlook the word Temper as it flows with the ley at the end.

I didn’t immediately think of “temper” when I said the name, but I do notice it once I actually look at the name. Because of the possibility of “Temperley can’t keep her temper”, I would keep it as a guilty pleasure. I love the nn [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], though.